1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Final Countdown.........then poverty!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by JML, Apr 6, 2005.

1. JML

JML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would like to just thank everyone in the forum who has contributed to making my life misery over the last couple of months by dragging me from my blissful ignorance on AV matters to my current state of confused but still blissful ignorance, coupled with impending poverty. It’s been fun, I think :)

I’m looking for some advice/confirmation on a couple of points before committing financial :suicide: with regard to:

1. Connections :confused:
    - what’s wrong with the diagram?
    - Looking to play CDs from the DMR95 do I need something else?
    - If in the future I want to use a Games console/PC what board should I be putting into the Panny or can I route through the amp?
    - VHS, via DMR95 or amp? (hopefully only for a short time until I convince the Overseer that we don’t need it)

2. SD or HD?
    - Does anyone know of somewhere in central Scotland where HD can be demo’ed?
    - In your opinion is HD worth the extra money over SD for PQ with SD input, with the option to upgrade to HD later by purchasing a Scaler

3. Where you can get good rates on a 2nd mortgage and who won’t tell the wife!

I’ve not checked any the prices with Retailers and they are not all up to date so, there may be better deals out there.

The countdown clock has started clicking until Plasma blast-off :)

Cheers

Set-up

Attached Files:

2. JML

JML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone? :(

On SD/HD, I see that another thread has started and I'll follow that.

I'm not 100% sure on connections and it would be nice just to get things confirmed before buying, so any help would be greatly appreciated. :lease:

Thanks

3. sloopjohnb

sloopjohnb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just so you dont feel ignored....

Nice sketch (tho not easy to read?) :thumbsup:

I'm another one 'on the verge' (repossesion?)

Too new to this to help you but with luck one of the forum boffins will emerge soon! :hiya:

4. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    To be honest mate, you would do a lot better to just go to one single retailer and have them throw this together for you! I count five suppliers on the diagram - if the worst happens and one part of the link goes or doesn't work as you think it should, i'll bet dollars for donuts each and every supplier will blame one another!!!

PHD every time, better processing, obviously better resolution too.

Denon 2805 won't understand RGB scart from Freeview Tuner. Need RGB to YUV converter or better plan using RGB scart switch and RGB to VGA box rather than using amp for switching.

2 VHS?? You won't use either, looks awful on plasma!! Keep one for legacy recordings maybe, but even transferring all the material to DVD is still gonna be VHS quality.

Two Freeview or a twin is up to your viewing habits. A twin with a hard disk will do the job, and then overnight can backup recordings to DVDr if necessary or watch at leisure then delete.

Upgrading to a scaler at a later date is worth bearing in mind if you find yourself unhappy with the picture the Panasonic alone produces. It's the only way you're gonna get a HDTV signal into the screen anyway (screen not accepting 720p @ 50hz and all that).

HTH, sorry to be brief!

5. Bearded_Malc

Bearded_Malc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    In theory every time you pass through a bit of kit you have the potential to introduce errors and noise. You'd therefore be better reducing this. My solution would be freeview twin PVR with DVDr which unfortunately doesn't exist yet but I read that fusion have one scheduled for November.

The only current option is a freeview twin PVR. That at least allows you digital processing and storage, so no errors. Output that as RGB direct to plasma give the minimum potential errors/noise. PVR second scarts are S-Video at best so you could add VCR to that and pass through PVR to play VCR. Since PQ of VCR is already low so this wouldn't make it any worse.

Stand a lone DVD play (HDMI perhaps is you were using a different plasma) direct to plasma. When PVR DVDr are out upgrade. Cost is similar to stand alone DVDr but since internal processing is all digital the PQ should be much better than separate units even if linked by RGB connections (and 2nd scarts are not RGB).

6. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    HiFi corner in Edinburgh have EURO 1080i showing in all its glory on Pioneer. You can also usually see one of the Samsung DLP screens showing WMHD at your local Comet . Warning HD is amazing and will probably answer your SD HD question.
    For sure the new SD panny pe50 looks stunning with SKY but given the HD version is due May for a few hundred pounds more you might be tempted to hold off. Of course if you dont intend to upgrade to SKY HD then why bother as Blue ray etc is a long way off the mainstream IMHO
    Regards the scaler idea to input HD bear in mind some people will notice motion judder when converting 50hz to 60hz which would be required if you bought the current Panasonic PW7/6 or possible Hitachi ranges.