• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

The final 4

greyhound74

Established Member
I've got this down to 4 models :suicide: , all are the same price approx. The panny has less resolution but i've heard PQ is awesome.

Panny 42" PX60CAB
Philips 42" PF7621D
Toshiba 37"WLT66
Samsung 40"N73BDX

i'm sure there is nothing wrong with any of the above, i just want the best bang for my buck, any advise is really appriciated before i take the plunge ! :lease:

Thanks again
Greyhound

Miyazaki

Distinguished Member
Panny every time mate.

Golf_turbo

Established Member
In my opinion the Panny looks awful!

Obviously it is a cracking set, don't get me wrong, but with something that is going to be off longer than it is on, you want something that looks the part too. :thumbsup:

I went for the Samsung over the Panny and it's still an amazing T.V. Only let down is 1 HDMI input :mad:

But, it does look like 10x better than the Panny, so it's all good!

synnea

Established Member
Panny 42" PX60CAB. I have it for my 360 - golf - you must have seen a dodgy one or something. The picture quality is out of this world. It has to be the Panny you go for. I use my Panny for SkyHD and 360 HD Gaming and im still blown away every day. You should just see gears of war on it!!.

Panny mate. Has to be. The image quality is second to none. :thumbsup:

daveon

Established Member
Not that I am arguing with your advice but any chance you could elaborate on your reasoning as I am looking for a new TV at the moment and these are all sets I have been looking at too.

So far I was prefering the Sammy for price or the Tosh for being 1080p, over the Panny so some reasoning would be appreciated. :thumbsup:

cybrey

Established Member
Panny 42" PX60CAB. I have it for my 360 - golf - you must have seen a dodgy one or something. The picture quality is out of this world. It has to be the Panny you go for. I use my Panny for SkyHD and 360 HD Gaming and im still blown away every day. You should just see gears of war on it!!.

Panny mate. Has to be. The image quality is second to none. :thumbsup:
Golf was referring to the aesthetic nature of the panny, not the actual picture quality.

wells

Standard Member
I have just recommended my dad to get the Panasonic.
It was on my shortlist when I was looking for a screen. I ended up with the LG in the end but my dad wants one without speakers down each side of the screen.

synnea

Established Member
Golf was referring to the aesthetic nature of the panny, not the actual picture quality.

Apologies then to Golf. I think it looks ok though, especially good on the Panasonic stand.

As for my reasoning - if you even look at the picture quality from an SD source the panasonic does wonders with it. In my option a Panny plasma is as near as you can get to a CRT image. There is to no pixelation, ghosting or motion trailing.

Anything you see bad on this screen is because the source you feed it is bad.

kevlar

Established Member
I would advise against the px60 myself. I've had one for about 8 months and see lots of green blur in high contrast fast moving scenes. Sin City is unwatchable. I see it in some 360 games too.

Either;

1, my tv is faulty........I daubt this as others see it too but many don't

or

2, my eyes see some things others don't ( but some do! ).

I would recommend trying to demo the TV's. There is a very long thread in the plasma forum somewhere about the green blur on the px60. I've posted a few clips recorded on my digi cam in that thread. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Edit, here is the thread although the video clips no longer work, they must have been deleted from the image hosting site I was using at the time.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=326067&highlight=px60+green+blur

Golf_turbo

Established Member
Apologies then to Golf. I think it looks ok though, especially good on the Panasonic stand.

As for my reasoning - if you even look at the picture quality from an SD source the panasonic does wonders with it. In my option a Panny plasma is as near as you can get to a CRT image. There is to no pixelation, ghosting or motion trailing.

Anything you see bad on this screen is because the source you feed it is bad.

That's ok, no worries.

The Panny has awesome picture quality and it does look good on the stand, but I went for the wall mount and it just didn't look as 'cool' as the Samsung.

Obviously each to thier own. :)

I'm 101% pleased with my TV.

Best advice to offer....

Don't go by how they are set up in most shops.... it looked OK in the shop, got it home and whacked in the 360 and BOOM, looked amazing straight out the box. It's like they go out there where to make them look bad?! Maybe it's just the source they are feeding them is bad but just look around for online reviews etc!

:D

CAS FAN

Distinguished Member
The Goodmans GTVL42W15HD - no TV comes close for the price IMO.

- Superb PQ - SD & HD from a superb 42" 1920 x 1080 panel
- 1080p via HDMI, DVI, Component & VGA
- 2 Scarts
- S-Video
- Composite
- RF
- PIP & POP

Nice and thin and looks the biz as well.

Oh and the Goodmans badge comes off easy as well if you're a name whore. It's a Tatung panel (just rebadged as Goodmans) which are actually a good make.

Cost around £879 with discount and Quidco from Currys! :thumbsup:

DD3

Established Member
the tosh is NOT a 1080p set. its a 1920x1080 panel but doesnt do 1920x1080 or 1080p on any input. avoid you can do much better for your money, as suggested above, or the samsung F series is another possibility.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom