The Fifth Element Ultra HD Blu-ray Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Ahhh another purchase of this on UHD, after getting Leon for the fifth time I really did not want to get this too on every release:) I've got the previous bluray release with Atmos and that is impressive enough. Gee I have o put AVforums reviews on my "banned" list before I go broke:)

Terminator 2 is my record holder, I've owned it on VHS, LaserDisc, DVD (multiple times), DVHS, HD-DVD, Blu-ray (multiple times) and now I'll be getting the Ultra HD Blu-ray. I think I might even have had it on VCD as well at one point, just so I could say I'd owned the film on every conceivable home video format.

Yep same here for T2 (I even have some sort of a digital form of it on Amiga 500 on floppies) and now for Fifth element and Leon:) These new UHD and the JVC X9500 are a stunning combo I just can't resist. Hell I even hooked up an old VHS player to compare the tape version and UHD just to remind myself how lucky we are these day :)

Really have to give it to Sony ( don't say that too often :D ) but , although they are repeat catalogue titles , they generally have been so well done that they have re-invigorated each movie , 'Leon' particularly . Always was impressed with the sound of 5th Element from original release , to Superbit ( really fell for that ! ) , to 2-disc Full-Rate dts U.K. release , to BD and now to UHD .

Roll on ' Starship Troopers '.

~M~

Really have to give it to Sony ( don't say that too often :D ) but , although they are repeat catalogue titles , they generally have been so well done that they have re-invigorated each movie , 'Leon' particularly . Always was impressed with the sound of 5th Element from original release , to Superbit ( really fell for that ! ) , to 2-disc Full-Rate dts U.K. release , to BD and now to UHD .

Roll on ' Starship Troopers '.

~M~

Starship Trooper's !, remember getting that as a present on VHS, time flies!!

I only got this once actually, on the 2011 Bluray. Always loved this movie. The way it crossed over "the PC line" way more than any US based Hollywood production would have at the time. It might be a good UHD disc to get some time in the future. Also got the Leon : Special Edition Bluray from 2009 - didn't notice this was now on UHD.

Also "Starship Troopers 3: Marauder" can be picked up on Bluray for €1.50 in those pound type "Dealz" shops right now if anyone is interested. I got one anyway :D

A fantastic film and really happy to hear this is a great UHD release will be purchasing this for sure. Thanks for the review.

Brion James too, plus Christopher fairbank, aka 'moxy' from auf wiedersein pet.
Great film.

Brion James too, great actor and probably one of his last big roles, also Christopher fairbank aka 'moxy' from auf wiedersein pet. Great film.

Terminator 2 is my record holder, I've owned it on VHS, LaserDisc, DVD (multiple times), DVHS, HD-DVD, Blu-ray (multiple times) and now I'll be getting the Ultra HD Blu-ray. I think I might even have had it on VCD as well at one point, just so I could say I'd owned the film on every conceivable home video format.

Same here,still got the US leather LD,HD-dvd plus the silver head box set :D

Personally i think this release is more deserving of a "reference picture quality" sticker than Leon, the upgrade here is much more apparent, the colours are great as well.

It's hard to believe that The Fifth Element and Starship Troopers are now 20 years old.
Fond memories... won't ever get enough of them on any format.

Wow, there are some great movies coming out on 4K UHD recently. If ever The Abyss comes out, that's the killer for me, and I'll have to upgrade!

Wow, there are some great movies coming out on 4K UHD recently. If ever The Abyss comes out, that's the killer for me, and I'll have to upgrade!
Yep and Prometheus should be interesting too given it's reference bluray status.

I'd kill for The Abyss on UHD BD, although at this point I'll happily take a regular Blu-ray release. I know a 4K restoration of The Abyss has been done, along with an HDR pass, so I'm hopeful that soon I'll be able to retire my non-anamorphic DVD that I bought back in 2000! In the meantime I've got Starship Troopers, T2, Blade Runner, ET and Close Encounters to buy over the next few months.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom