The Fifth Element 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
That really is a terrible cover.

Generally I quite like a full painted composition like that but Thomas Hodge is SO hit and miss with his poster art.

Like The Colour Out of Space was spot on and the Wolf Cop cover...is purposefully ugly? Maybe?
But you look at the one he did for Victor Frankenstein which is, weirdly, a take on the art for Young Frankenstein and it's just absolutely hideous.

That really is a terrible cover.

Generally I quite like a full painted composition like that but Thomas Hodge is SO hit and miss with his poster art.

Like The Colour Out of Space was spot on and the Wolf Cop cover...is purposefully ugly? Maybe?
But you look at the one he did for Victor Frankenstein which is, weirdly, a take on the art for Young Frankenstein and it's just absolutely hideous.

a) he really likes creepy fingers
b) he really doesn't like Milla

a) he really likes creepy fingers
b) he really doesn't like Milla
He's not a hand guy. That's okay.
I thought he was a face guy, but there's Bruce, there's Gary...and who's that dude with the red hair?
And is that the lovechild of Teddy Roosevelt and John Turturro praying?

Edit: I said Teddy Roosevelt but I meant FDR. I'm getting my Roosevelts confused. Roosevelt expert status revoked.

Last edited:
The lack of extras on the new release is unforgiveable at the price charged. No purchase.

I always remember watching this movie for the first time and was totally blown away by the whole vision. Definitely going to have to get this version.

Thanks for the review Cas. Yeah, that cover art...🤮

My 20th Anniversary 4K copy is the German release via universum film in colaboration with Tobis & Gaumont, but I am sure it must be the same product as the Sony one. It has the English Atmos Soundtrack as well.
The PQ is fantastic, & at the distance we watch I doubt I would gain anything from this new version - which is good as
a) I avoid that cover!
🤮
b) I can't afford it right now! :)

Watched this already, not seen it for years, was suitably impressed!! Kind of wish I hadn't sold it on so quickly now.

The lack of extras on the new release is unforgiveable at the price charged. No purchase.

I get the frustration, but who here doesn't have the old Fifth Element Blu-ray kicking around somewhere? In which case you've got them all (bar a 10 minute new addition to the US 4K). So really, it's a bit cutting off your nose to avoid this for extras you already have, when the plus side is superior DV treatment...

Initially I wasn't sure about this transfer, there is quite a variation in sharpness between the live action scenes and those with composited special effects. I suppose that's to be expected for a 1997 movie, but the 4K makes it more obvious, especially on a large projector screen. However the vast majority is really nice, and the bright colours show all the details of the crazy Gaultier costumes. Sound was excellent with some very directional effects. I am sure this is as good as this movie will ever look.

Now, I know some people don't care about extra features, but I love movies, and and I love this one, so I do watch them. Given the obvious craft and care put into this movie, there is so much to talk about, and having no features at all is a massive disappointment, I would have jumped at a full special edition similar to the Flash Gordon release. I think they are pretty cheeky asking full price for this. Not sure how this can get even 1 point for extras when there are none, it should be zero, unless you count that new artwork, in which case it should be -1!

Just had a look on Amazon.de & this is available as an import for EUR 69,99 + EUR 5,00 Shipping!

PLUS I found another older 4K version with this cover.-
1599125570693.png

Made me think back to my 2000AD comics when i was young(er)

Initially I wasn't sure about this transfer, there is quite a variation in sharpness between the live action scenes and those with composited special effects. I suppose that's to be expected for a 1997 movie, but the 4K makes it more obvious, especially on a large projector screen. However the vast majority is really nice, and the bright colours show all the details of the crazy Gaultier costumes. Sound was excellent with some very directional effects. I am sure this is as good as this movie will ever look.

Now, I know some people don't care about extra features, but I love movies, and and I love this one, so I do watch them. Given the obvious craft and care put into this movie, there is so much to talk about, and having no features at all is a massive disappointment, I would have jumped at a full special edition similar to the Flash Gordon release. I think they are pretty cheeky asking full price for this. Not sure how this can get even 1 point for extras when there are none, it should be zero, unless you count that new artwork, in which case it should be -1!

Agree, that's just the limitations of the CMS. You simply can't score 0/10 otherwise it erases that segment. Believe me, I've tried for plenty of discs (and some films too, the reviews for which you'll now never read).

I get the frustration, but who here doesn't have the old Fifth Element Blu-ray kicking around somewhere? In which case you've got them all (bar a 10 minute new addition to the US 4K). So really, it's a bit cutting off your nose to avoid this for extras you already have, when the plus side is superior DV treatment...

I don't have the old Blu-ray, I still have a DVD release, but I have seen the old BR and it was a pretty crappy transfer, so I was always waiting for the 4K remastered Blu-ray to come out here. Then when UHD discs came out I continued to wait for a 4K disc, so I was looking forward to this release. I don't see why I should be expected to buy the old release as well to get access to that content.

Last edited:
Just had a look on Amazon.de & this is available as an import for EUR 69,99 + EUR 5,00 Shipping!

PLUS I found another older 4K version with this cover.-
View attachment 1359638
Made me think back to my 2000AD comics when i was young(er)

I like that cover much better, They released a script book earlier this year with the same artwork.

Ha, no way did Fifth Element have a script !

Besson "Young naked girl gets involved with older guy (fashioned after me) to save the universe from Gary Oldman and make love."

Producer "Luc, I like it, this young girl/older guy thing you've got going on seems to really work. One thing, she can't really be naked."

Besson "We put tape over her nipples"

Producer "That'll work."

I personally don’t see anything wrong with the artwork and the fact it doesn’t have any extra’s at all, which i never watch with any disc i buy...i bought the Zavvi steelbook to watch the best version we will probably ever see of this movie...( i actually bought 2 by mistake any takers ? lol )

I personally don’t see anything wrong with the artwork and the fact it doesn’t have any extra’s at all, which i never watch with any disc i buy...i bought the Zavvi steelbook to watch the best version we will probably ever see of this movie...( i actually bought 2 by mistake any takers ? lol )

More of a fingers guy are you? ;)

I like that cover much better, They released a script book earlier this year with the same artwork.
I don't know anything about it (No back cover on the Amazon.de listing), except they want over a hundred EUR for it!

More of a fingers guy are you? ;)
While we are talking about limbs in Artwork (Well, at least I am) - look at Jolies' arm in this poster - almost like it is an amalgam of a left AND a right arm!

1599127737710.png

Alwaya adored this film, but always struggled with a lot of the humour. There's a very fine line between 'camp' and 'shit'.

I see this as a companion piece to Leon. Even though they're vastly different, the two films encapsulate Besson perfectly & share a similar atmosphere. Leon will probably always be my all time favourite film, but Fifth Element is a fantastic, unique mess of a movie...

I bought the US 4k disc last year. Excellent transfer, indeed...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom