1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"The Fellowship Of The Ring" DVD date?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by getupkid, Mar 22, 2002.

1. getupkid

getupkid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't know if this is of any note or not, but I went into my local branch of WH Smith in Scarborough today and bought the new issue of "Home Cinema Choice" magazine.

As I waited in the queue to pay, one of the tills had a handwritten note with the release dates for the DVD/VHS of "The Fellowship of The Ring".

August 5th, apparently.

There was a date for "Monsters, Inc", too, but I was instantaneously transported to Geek Heaven and forgot about the Pixar fans out there. Sorry.

Still, I suppose that Entertainment In Video will do one of their typically horrible covers and send us scrambling to get the Region One anyway...

2. Dirk 2

Dirk 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The unfortunate thing about DVD release dates is that there often like the bus timetable IE a complete work of fiction.

I am hoping that the August date stays that way. But I'll more than likely be opting for the R1 copy, as it will possibly be available from some of the online vendors a week or two before then.

I'll also be buying the extended cut in November.

Before then you may (or not as the case may be) come across one of the "unofficial" DVD's doing the rounds at present.

Taken from New Line screener copies, these have a non-anamorphic print, with DD5.1, chapters, animated menus and even extras (purely biographical data). It also comes with an AC-3 sound check. They are Region O and NTSC. Every 15 minutes (approx) you get a footer message pointing out the fact that it is a screener copy and not to be copied or sold.

Video piracy is a very contentious field and I will not condone or advocate such activities. But having seen one of these copies (I have professional colleagues in the Customs & Excise Department) I can say that I have never seen a better quality "pirate" copy before. Especially compared to the 3 VCD Camcorder copy of FOTR, that is also in circulation.

3. billduff

billduff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Monsters Inc (R1) is due out on 17th September as far as I can get. 2-Disc Set similar to the Toy Story Box Set with a great looking list of features.

dont know a date for R2 yet.

As for LOTR, August is a 2 disc set and November for a 4-Disc Collectors Edition with another 30 mins of footage apparently.