The Father Blu-ray Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Great review Cas. This is the first movie I've cried at in years, like 10/15 years, it really hit me. That last scene had the tears streaming! There are not enough superlatives to throw at it, best film I've seen in a long time, but doubt I'll ever watch it again.

2 other fantastic films dealing with a similar topic are 'Nebraska' (Bruce Dern) and Michael Haneke's 'Amour'.
If you have had elderly parents and experienced the struggles as they age then both will bring you to tears. 'Nebraska' in particular is extremely touching.
I have yet to see 'The Father' but will pick it up eventually.

Last edited:
2 other fantastic films dealing with a similar topic are 'Nebraska' (Bruce Dern) and Michael Haneke's 'Amour'.
If you have had elderly parents and experienced the struggles as they age then both will bring you to tears. 'Nebraska' in particular is extremely touching.
I have yet to see 'The Father' but will pick it up eventually.
Great recommendations.
Nebraska is also brilliant for seeing Will Forte in a serious role and doing something great with it too. It does a good job of pulling the sort of morbid humour out of the situation that it often takes to cope with such issues.

I'd also add Viggo Mortensen's semi-autobiographical Falling which was sadly but, I suppose, rightly eclipsed by The Father over the last 12 months. Lance Henriksen is amazing in it.

Great recommendations.
Nebraska is also brilliant for seeing Will Forte in a serious role and doing something great with it too. It does a good job of pulling the sort of morbid humour out of the situation that it often takes to cope with such issues.

I'd also add Viggo Mortensen's semi-autobiographical Falling which was sadly but, I suppose, rightly eclipsed by The Father over the last 12 months. Lance Henriksen is amazing in it.
Thanks for the recommendation- I like Viggo Mortensen so will definitely be on the lookout for this one :lesson:

(Just noticed it's being released on bluray in France end Sept)

Olivia Colman has been on the ascendancy for years but surely even she must think working alongside Anthony Hopkins is the peak anyone could hope for?

I'll definitely watch this but suspect I'll cry like a baby.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom