The fastest image viewer?

Discussion in 'Computer Software & Operating Systems' started by Lee James, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Lee James

Lee James
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm trying to find the zippiest, fastest decent image viewer.

For years I've been using ACDSee 2.42. Newer versions came and went, but nothing ever seemed to come anywhere near as fast as this one. By the time ACDSee had got to about 7, it was just beyond a joke so I stopped bothering to try them.

Then I was just reading around and I heard ACDSee 10 was "as fast as version 2". Well, I was sceptical but I downloaded it to try.

As we speak, I'm uninstalling it. Absolute rubbish!

• About 5 times slower than version 2. Loads of lagging and waiting. Even with small images I had to wait while they generated! Thumbnails take an age to generate (why I have no idea).
    • You can't seem to turn off thumbnail caching. What happened to something called "user preferences"?
    • I couldn't figure out how to turn off the file location bar from the thumbnail browser.
    • Almost everything I tried to do resulted in "attempting to connect to ACDInTouch server". Er… no, I want an image viewer that views pictures, not goes online.

So ACDSee 2.42 is the best and fastest image viewer I've used, and I can't see anything else beating it. I've tried a few alternatives such as Irfanview and thought they were a joke.

The only problem is that ACDSee 2.42 doesn't quite work properly in conjunction with my newsreader, which is a pain. It would also be nice if the cursor wrapped, which it didn't until version 3.

Can anyone offer a suggestion?

2. MazsterUk

MazsterUk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    maybe buy more ram (fast at that) :).

m

3. Singh400

Singh400
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,370
  4. AxelR

AxelR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AcdSee? XnView? FastStone? Not anymore, it's 2008 and FastPictureViewer is there :)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2008
  5. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
  6. tweety

tweety
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Glad to help, I've been using it for a few years and it gets better and faster with each release. :)

8. isherdholi

isherdholi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I find the default Windows Image and Fax Viewer to be fast enough

9. vovets

vovets
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been looking for fastest pictures viewer for many years as well. And finally I found it - ExifPro!!! It's not absolutely free but price is reasonable The great feature it has (like ACDSee) - preload/postload of pictures option which gives you very fast speed. Besides, it has huge amount of otions - I was excited when found it :thumbsup:

P.S. BTW I also think that good old version of ACDSee is much better than new ones. :)

Sounds like pure advertisement – but believe me – it isn’t. The case is that I found and bought this product today :) – that’s why I’m so happy )))

10. vovets

vovets
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I should add here that I don't know why - but all known (and very good in all other aspects) picture viewers don't have preload/postload feature - and that's VERY strange - so great option - this is the reason I rejected them all.

11. Singh400

Singh400
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,370
    Toss up between IrfanView and XnView for me.

12. vovets

vovets
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IrfanView and XnView are great - but don't use preload function - so, they're slower - the great thing of preload is that you've got next picture right after you press "next" button - image is already in the memory just waiting to be shown.
    Obvious great feature - I'm really surprised it's not implemented in EVERY picture viewer. I previously even started thinking that ACDSee (which has this feature for many years, maybe from the very beginning) copyrighted this feature for unique usage (but I doubted whether it possible).

13. Iccz

Iccz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,750
    Another vote from me on that one.

14. vovets

vovets
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes!!! I've tryed FastPictureViewer! THIS IS SUPER FAST Viewer!!!!! - and highly customizable in sense of speed settings.
    If you need viewer - this is the choice - it's freeware for personal home use.

15. badcrc

badcrc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've used ACDSee 3.1 for years and could never find anything even close to as fast. I recently installed xnview after a friend recommended it. It's not nearly as fast as ACDSee 3.1, but it has loads of features and works well. After reading this thread I also installed and tested FastPictureViewer and FastStone. FPV is extremely fast. On pictures less than 2mb it appears as fast as ACDSee 3.1. On pics around 4mb it starts to delay a little more than ACDSee. However FPV has some really cool features I've never seen before in an image viewer -- like auto-hide the menu, right/left click zoom/move and a bunch of speed related options. FastStone should just be called Stone. I didn't even bother looking at the other features when I saw it's slower than xnview. Now to try ExifPro mentioned in this thread.

Edit: Just tried ExifPro, and it's pretty but it lacks many config options. If you're browsing quickly the speed of image loading is about the same as FastStone (i.e., not fast), however it shows the pic as it's loading which is a nice feature, and I do like the thumbnail bar that you can enlarge or shrink and move to the left side (which is great for widescreens). Now that I've tried 5 image viewers within the hour I think I prefer xnview for speed and features, and FastPictureViewer for speed and simplicity. I might just go back to ACDSee 3.1 though because the only real issue I had with it is it would crash sometimes when viewing large images.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  16. sunnybacon

sunnybacon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    IrfanView definitely, not just for images, but other media too :smashin:

17. Singh400

Singh400
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,370
    I just use IrfanView for viewing massive PSDs/TGAs/PNGs. Everything else is opened with the default Windows Picture viewer.

18. qastrox

qastrox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello.
    Try 11view. it's a discontinued product, but it's very fast and has preload/postload of images.
    just one trouble, sometimes it freezes when you move or delete files.
    bye.

19. Singh400

Singh400
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,370
    One thing I really like about IrfanView is that you can reduce it down so it's just display the image. No toolbars, no menu. Nothing apart from the picture.

20. cjoe

cjoe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i use still ACDSee 2.42 at the end of 2011 because nothing compares with its speed.
    i use it without thumbnails just a one column filename and a huge preview window.
    for everything more than just viewing CTRL E brings the image into FastStone for all my image enhancements need.