The fastest Extra storage for PS5

x7nofate

Standard Member
Reaction score
Dear experts

Hopefully this is a good place for my topic.
I would like to install additional 1TB of storage to my PS5. Could you recommend the fastest compatible NVMe M.2 internal SSD together with headsink for PS5? Price is does not matter.

Thank you

Last edited:

According to this the fastest they’ve tested so far is the Kingston KC3000. Of course if it’s only going in a PS5 you aren’t going to see much difference at all between the slowest drives and the fastest, it’s all much of a muchness hence why price is the main reason why folk choose one model over another.

According to this the fastest they’ve tested so far is the Kingston KC3000. Of course if it’s only going in a PS5 you aren’t going to see much difference at all between the slowest drives and the fastest, it’s all much of a muchness hence why price is the main reason why folk choose one model over another.

This radiator is so flat. Does it actually manage to cool down ssd?

This Sabrent M.2 NVMe PS5 heatsink looks good option, it's faster then original ssd install in PS5 which will make me happy enough.

Last edited:
This radiator is so flat. Does it actually manage to cool down ssd?

This Sabrent M.2 NVMe PS5 heatsink looks good option, it's faster then original ssd install in PS5 which will make me happy enough.

Well it’s flat because it’s a top down photo, it’s plenty chunky in reality. Fully presses down onto the SSD, so the thermal pad makes contact. In the photo you can see the size compared to a standard heatsink, these drives don’t need anything elaborate at all, even basic heatsinks that come with rubber bands work to cool them by around 10c.

Attachments

• 72562F71-0F2F-4323-B126-42CE6356E993.png
    72562F71-0F2F-4323-B126-42CE6356E993.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 75
Well it’s flat because it’s a top down photo, it’s plenty chunky in reality. Fully presses down onto the SSD, so the thermal pad makes contact. In the photo you can see the size compared to a standard heatsink, these drives don’t need anything elaborate at all, even basic heatsinks that come with rubber bands work to cool them by around 10c.
Hi Cloysterprteuk,
Thank you for your answer. When you go back to my post you can see I was referring to Kingston KC3000 with flat radiator not Sabrent 1TB Rocket 4 Plus PS5 Heatsink

I honestly don't think that any compatible M.2 drive will be noticeably quicker than any other.

If a game is going to take 2 seconds longer to load on one drive than another, are you really going to notice?

Hi Cloysterprteuk,
Thank you for your answer. When you go back to my post you can see I was referring to Kingston KC3000 with flat radiator not Sabrent 1TB Rocket 4 Plus PS5 Heatsink
No, I was confused by what you meant by radiator and what you were referring to.

Anyway buy the Kingston SSD and buy the Sabrent Heatsink to go with it and your sorted.

Amazon product ASIN B09HSQQWCL
Sabrent have a heat sink cover, decent price and works really well when it’s been tested. I’d have got it myself if I knew it existed when I bought my ssd.
Yeah, that’s looking pretty good. Just ordered one. Potential problem seems to be that the M.2 in a heatsink is stuck below the metal PS5 M.2 bay cover, trapping heat. This fella acts as both the cover And the heatsink. It may or may not make much difference to the longevity of components, but I do see what they’re saying.

Last edited:
Yeah, that’s looking pretty good. Just ordered one. Potential problem seems to be that the M.2 in a heatsink is stuck below the metal PS5 M.2 bay cover, trapping heat. This fella acts as both the cover And the heatsink. It may or may not make much difference to the longevity of components, but I do see what they’re saying.
Not mine, my SSD in it's heatsink doesn’t have the cover on at all, I didn’t bother replacing it.

Not mine, my SSD in it's heatsink doesn’t have the cover on at all, I didn’t bother replacing it.
You should consider having that SSD + heatsink under the original PlayStation 5 metal cover OR go for the Sabrent Heatsink cover with SSD underneath it.
This is because the PlayStation 5 has been designed to draw hot air away from the SSD compartment using negative flow / pressure, if you leave the cover off this could cause more harm that keeping it on.
i.e. hot air will rise out of the SSD bay and then get sucked straight into the PlayStation 5 via the fan as that is sucking the air inwards.
If you leave the over on, the air is sucked out from the small vents inside the SSD bay internally and out of the rear exhaust vents :)

The best choice is to go for a SSD and the Sabrent Heatsink cover.

You should consider having that SSD + heatsink under the original PlayStation 5 metal cover OR go for the Sabrent Heatsink cover with SSD underneath it.
This is because the PlayStation 5 has been designed to draw hot air away from the SSD compartment using negative flow / pressure, if you leave the cover off this could cause more harm that keeping it on.
i.e. hot air will rise out of the SSD bay and then get sucked straight into the PlayStation 5 via the fan as that is sucking the air inwards.
If you leave the over on, the air is sucked out from the small vents inside the SSD bay internally and out of the rear exhaust vents :)

The best choice is to go for a SSD and the Sabrent Heatsink cover.

It’ll be fine, I don’t worry about shoulda/coulda/woulda. I can’t put it on anyway my heatsink is the tiniest bit too small for the bay. Tom Hardware did plenty of testing without the cover and didn’t flag anything of concern regarding leaving it off so that’s good enough for me.

It’ll be fine, I don’t worry about shoulda/coulda/woulda. I can’t put it on anyway my heatsink is the tiniest bit too small for the bay. Tom Hardware did plenty of testing without the cover and didn’t flag anything of concern regarding leaving it off so that’s good enough for me.

Aren’t they recording the temperature of the SSD only in those tests?
The SSD temps may be perfectly fine but there’s no testing of operating temps of other components (eg CPU, GPU) within the PS5 with the cover on or off.
ie Rizvan’s point
hot air will rise out of the SSD bay and then get sucked straight into the PlayStation 5 via the fan as that is sucking the air inwards.

Mr Otori: There are two exhaust holes for the SSD slot for expansion. Since the expansion slot is near the intake fan, it has a structure that sucks heat from the exhaust hole with negative pressure

Last edited:
Hot air rising from the SSD bay and frying the PS5 components, yeah that’s not going to happen.

You guys are over thinking this, I don’t have a little molten sun sitting there in a void of space where the expansion cover formerly was, I have a metal heat sink in that space, exactly the same heat processes will occur with my set up as they would if I was using the aforementioned Sabrent heatsink cover installed :)

I have to agree, we are probably over-thinking this.. I do think its better to have the Sabrent heatsink cover vs standard but how much different it will actual make in real life is debatable...... for me another £10 over a standard heatsink wasn't too much of a stretch.

When 2tb models are more affordable I’ll replace my 1tb with one, then I would likely get the Sabrent cover.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom