The Fantomas - Directors cut

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by karkus30, May 22, 2004.

1. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    Managed to get a copy from USA, instead of paying the vastly inflated uk price.

Fantomas is singer Mike Patton (ex Faith No More), Melvins guitarist Buzz Osbourne, Mr. Bungle bassist Trevor Dunn, and Slayer drummer Dave Lombardo.

Its different from most music you hear, this is a work based on variations of cinema film scores........Rosemarys Baby, Cape Fear, The Godfather etc.
    Yes, really. It took a few listens, but its really grown on me.

Its basically rock music, with the sort of heaviness of Metallica and the sludge rock sound of The Melvins, mixed with a bit of everything else and it sounds different. The great thing (as my wife says) is it isnt relentless rock, it doesnt keep pounding along, there are stretches of quite beautiful quiet passages and odd squeaks and threatening rumbles.

One thing, you need a decent system to do it justice, would be dead interesting with a powerful sub woofer. Its complex/intelligent music, not brain out rock and needs a good system to hear it at its best (my car system failed miserably :confused: ).

4/5 would probably suit admirers of The Dillinger escape plan or Sikth and Maybe Tool (Im not quite sure as tool is slightly more melodic) and very probably Faith No More (dont expect it to sound like FNM).

2. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Caught the show last night at the Astoria and it was just amazing. Lombardo was putting on a clinic up there. Actually, all four of them were. I was shocked that for music that is so wild and chaotic, what they played on stage was dead-on to the recorded versions. Very talented.

No Melvins unfortunately, but who was the opening act? 14-piece band with mostly horns and wind instruments. (and an accordion) Terrific stuff. :clap:

Unfortunately, I forgot to hit the merchandise booth after the show. :censored:

3. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    Yeah, the brass band were really good. Your not the only one to miss the merchandise stall................twice.................bugger.

4. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    and Mudhoney.......................ace, Im actually glad I was'nt in the mosh pit :eek: talk about murder on the dance floor !

5. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did a little searching, and I think it was the Flat Earth Society that opened for them. :smashin: