The familiar LG CX vs Samsung Q90T (with a few twists)

walkaboutdavid

Novice Member
Reaction score
There are ton of threads on this comparison here but my situation has a few hitches that I complicate the choice.

Situation is a relatively small room - depending on where I sit, I'm between 6.5 to 8 ft from TV. TV is right opposite a big window but I'm rarely there during the day. I currently have a 60" Samsung LCD which needs to be replaced. I mostly watch movies and streaming TV and a lot of CNN. I don't game much and I rarely watch more than an hour or two in a single day. I have a 5.1 system in the room so the sound quality of the set does not matter.

I'm a Costco member so I purchase a 65" LG CX. The deal comes with a 90 day return policy, Costco covers the second year of a warranty and then I get three additional years of warranty coverage via allstate (squaretrade). The warranty does cover burn-in (I checked!). It does not get delivered until the 24th, so I have still been looking at other sets in the meantime.

Because I'm a educator, I get a 10% discount on Samsung TVs. Bestbuy will honor that discount so I also purchased a Q90T which I have not take delivery on. Its 75" and cost only $300 more than the 65" LG. Standard 1-yr warranty and 15 day return policy. So, it doesn't have all the Costco goodies. I have to admit that I don't worry too much about extended warranties though because I've had four Samsungs and not a peep of trouble with any.

I have read basically every thread on the LG OLEDs on this site, and most of the comparison reviews related to the Q90T. I've also spent hours looking at each set (to my eye, both have gorgeous pictures). I am not sure which way to go though, especially since the screen sizes are not identical.

Could any of you smart folk please chime in?

Thank you!

I mostly watch movies and streaming TV and a lot of CNN

LCD

News channels will cause burn in on the OLED over time, even if it's just 1 hour over breakfast everyday.

Just for clarity - burn in isn't a certainty, but news channels are a cause of a lot of issues on OLEDs.

If a large proportion of your viewing is going to be in darkness an OLED will be better than an LCD TV because you'll have better screen uniformity, most people would agree they are overall better TVs..but not all.

Whilst covered by the extra warranty, I'm not sure I'd even watch news channels on an OLED though, as eventually it will lead to burn in. In that respect going for the Q90T will be better. The Q90T will also have less of a problem coping with glare if your window/room gets very bright.

There are honestly some night (like during the US elections) when I spent 4 hours in front of CNN. Most nights I watch CNN primarily on the LED in the kitchen. But, I'll definitely be watching CNN on the new set some.

(PS I read all your links and guides and really appreciate you taking the time here).

4 hours watching shit about 2 old idiots?

Pass the paint, I'm off to watch a wall dry ;)

Anyway....

OLED is better. If you can contain your nonsense viewing to the kitchen tv, then the OLED is better for movies/streaming (if they're bluray or 4k quality) - if you still buy dvds or stream at low quality then both of these tvs are a waste of money.

I'd lean more towards the Q90 tbh that's seems to be your general thinking as well ?

If you can contain your nonsense viewing to the kitchen tv,
Hey be careful not to offend man. Too many it means a lot watching the debates, whether its your cup of tea or not is another matter!

I'd certainly be going for either the Q90T or Sony X950H in the OPS situation I think, especially if it means going for a 75" instead. The 75" LCD TVs are a lot cheaper than the 77" OLEDs.

EDIT* you can also save a butt load and get a TV thats 90% as good with the TCL 6 series.

I'd lean more towards the Q90 tbh that's seems to be your general thinking as well ?

My thinking is ambivalent, mostly because I've been hanging out on this site for weeks incognito. Every time this comes up here, I see a lot of folk here who obviously know more than I do expressing enthusiasm about OLED. The LG in the store was mind bendingly beautiful and I like doing business with COSTCO. So, I'm up and down. I'll admit that I'm worried about burn-in though and I thought the larger screen might be nice (although a bit of an overkill in a small space).

Hey be careful not to offend man. Too many it means a lot watching the debates, whether its your cup of tea or not is another matter!

I'd certainly be going for either the Q90T or Sony X950H in the OPS situation I think, especially if it means going for a 75" instead. The 75" LCD TVs are a lot cheaper than the 77" OLEDs.

EDIT* you can also save a butt load and get a TV thats 90% as good with the TCL 6 series.

Thank you. Your advice is super, super helpful. The Q90T in the 75" spec is $2500 with my educator discount. The CX is about a thousand more in 77 inch. The 65 inch is way more reasonable. I'm only 8 feet from the TV but another lesson from posters here is that "too large" a screen is not really a thing.

Oh, and I wasn't offended by the above comments. He has a point - that's hard to deny!

I think the Sony X950H is the same price without any discount. The Samsung despite being more expensive isn't really the better TV, they are just on the expensive side currently. It's really a matter of which ticks the most boxes for you. The Samsung has more straightforward smart TV, better viewing angles, better anti glare performance. Their strategy with local dimming is to suppress any blooming at the cost of losing shadow detail and picture accuracy in HDR mode.

On the other hand Sony focus on maintain picture accuracy in HDR with their local dimming, but screen uniformity may not be quite as good. What they do have over the Samsung is better motion processing which you may prefer for watching sport.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom