• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

The Fall Of The Roman Empire

HummerUK

Prominent Member
Made shortly after El Cid but without Charlton Heston (who did not get on with Sophia Loren who got paid more).

Anyway, the picture is better than that of the Cid and I would say the sound may also be a bit clearer (5.1 DTS-HD MA).

It is good to see Obi Wan Kenobi :)

HummerUK

HummerUK

Prominent Member
Yes it comes with a DVD with the extras...

30 minutes on the making of the movie and the very large sets built in Spain, another on the music and much more.

What I did not note but an amazon reviewer did is that the intro and intermission have been cut out. Also no commentary.

The film is a bit slow in places but has some good action scenes and it is only £7.99 :)

The Fall Of The Roman Empire [Blu-ray]: Amazon.co.uk: Sophia Loren, Stephen Boyd, Alec Guinness, James Mason, Christopher Plummer, Anthony Quayle, John Ireland, Omar Sharif, Mel Ferrer, Finlay Currie, Anthony Mann: Film & TV

HummerUK

BrianPK

Prominent Member
but without Charlton Heston (who did not get on with Sophia Loren who got paid more).

HummerUK

Marlon Brando didn't like her either and did nothing to improve the relationship when he seemingly told her ,during a love scene ( Countess from Hong Kong,I think ), that she had long black hairs up her nose. La Loren went ballistic by all accounts.:)
I saw Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire on the big screen many years ago.A little slow at times, as you say, but one of those films that improves with further viewings.Great cast.I was tempted last year to get the German version but held off.
I'll order this soon.

Garrett

Marlon Brando didn't like her either and did nothing to improve the relationship when he seemingly told her ,during a love scene ( Countess from Hong Kong,I think ), that she had long black hairs up her nose. La Loren went ballistic by all accounts.:)
I saw Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire on the big screen many years ago.A little slow at times, as you say, but one of those films that improves with further viewings.Great cast.I was tempted last year to get the German version but held off.
I'll order this soon.

The reason Chuck did not get on with Sophia was the result of a misunderstanding and she was late on set one day and he took it she was being a prima donna, but she was always the first on the sets but had a costume that had gold in it and clanked and was told to go and get a new costume which took time, when Chuck arrived on set he did not know Sophia already been on set and also he seen he contract that she was being paid 1 million (you can imagine what went though his head, bitch getting paid more than me and cant be bothered to turn up on time and having me hang around). The rot set in.
Later on they also though Chuck was not making the love scene as passion as he should be and they asked Sophia to cut out garlic meals but she already done that to see if it was the cause, they also got a write to re write the love scenes because of the animosity which only miffed Chuck off more thinking she was getting privileges when it was he at the root of the problem.
In later years he regretted his intolerance toward all his female actresses and understanding they had different need.
Chuck also did vast amounts of research for historical the characters he played and took lessons in fighting with the weapons he used in the film, so had high standards so probably conflicted with what he wrongly thought of Sophia.

Chuck was also offer the role in FOTRE siting he did not like the scrip but more likely did not want to star with Sophia.

The Scrip for El Cid was wrote on the fly, when Loren got the script she said it was rubbish, she got the opinion of other people and they all agreed it was terrible, and got Ben Barzman to re write from scratch.

Quote by Brando I know I`m not an easy person to get along with, I`m no walk in the park.

I realy dont know the true Sophia Loren but on them 2 point Im far from condeming her and there's usaly 2 sides to a story.

Although a favorite of mine I still prefer El Cid, FOTRE and is very similar to Gladiator.

Last edited:

HummerUK

Prominent Member
Just been watching some more of the extras on the DVD.
One scene had 10,000 extras and at the time the most cameras in use at one time.

Studio had it's own stable with 1500 horses and several educational films were made using the vast sets constructed for the film.

Well worth the £8.00 :)

BTW, Did you know 1/3 of the people living in Rome at that time were on the dole and thus the government had a cash-flow and tax problem - remind you of anything?

HummerUK

BrianPK

Prominent Member
The reason Chuck did not get on with Sophia was the result of a misunderstanding and she was late on set one day and he took it she was being a prima donna, but she was always the first on the sets but had a costume that had gold in it and clanked and was told to go and get a new costume which took time, when Chuck arrived on set he did not know Sophia already been on set and also he seen he contract that she was being paid 1 million (you can imagine what went though his head, bitch getting paid more than me and cant be bothered to turn up on time and having me hang around). The rot set in.
Later on they also though Chuck was not making the love scene as passion as he should be and they asked Sophia to cut out garlic meals but she already done that to see if it was the cause, they also got a write to re write the love scenes because of the animosity which only miffed Chuck off more thinking she was getting privileges when it was he at the root of the problem.
In later years he regretted his intolerance toward all his female actresses and understanding they had different need.
Chuck also did vast amounts of research for historical the characters he played and took lessons in fighting with the weapons he used in the film, so had high standards so probably conflicted with what he wrongly thought of Sophia.

Chuck was also offer the role in FOTRE siting he did not like the scrip but more likely did not want to star with Sophia.

The Scrip for El Cid was wrote on the fly, when Loren got the script she said it was rubbish, she got the opinion of other people and they all agreed it was terrible, and got Ben Barzman to re write from scratch.

Quote by Brando I know I`m not an easy person to get along with, I`m no walk in the park.

I realy dont know the true Sophia Loren but on them 2 point Im far from condeming her and there's usaly 2 sides to a story.

Although a favorite of mine I still prefer El Cid, FOTRE and is very similar to Gladiator.

Thanks for the info.Very interesting piece.:)

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom