The Falcon and The Winter Soldier (Disney +)

#2 The Star Spangled Man

Very good episode with the young Kurt Russell actor playing Cap America reminding and sounding like the actor

Glad Baron is not the villain but to be a potential ally , unless theres a twist later

Best line; Bucky: 'I always wanted to do that' :D when a flag smasher plucked Redwing out of the air and snapped it in half

Good solid stuff once again. Great to see the two men interact, although I was surprised there was no build up to their meeting.

There were moments when (as I previously feared) they seemed unnecessarily antagonistic to each other (Bucky especially). However that was nicely explained during the therapy session and made sense. By the end they feel like a really solid team and I ended up really enjoying the chemistry between the two guys. Had several laughs throughout too.

I noticed that the young female supersoldier is the same actress who plays the freedom fighter in Solo.

I thought the first episode was underwhelming but this really came alive in Ep2. Great episode. Strong Lethal Weapon vibes. Given how great this episode was, I can't believe Ep1 spent so much time on Sam's loan approval worries. Thoughts:

Thought the first conversation between Bucky and Sam was hilarious. Laughed at Bucky being the ultimate Tolkien hipster and them arguing over whether Dr Strange is a wizard. Their Lethal Weapon type team-up works so much better than I thought it would.

Really liked the introduction of JW as new Cap and liked that they gave him some development. Liked his response to Sam asking if he had ever jumped on a grenade. I really hope he doesn't turn into a one-dimensional jock villain.

Bucky being angry over Sam giving up the shield makes total sense. Same with Sam not feeling like he can follow Cap.

Last edited:
A few others things I remembered
The plane jump was surely a reference to the first Avengers when Iron Man went after Thor and Cap jumped out after him right? Dialogue was very similar.

Is the new Cap actually a super soldier or just highly trained? If the latter he is way too effective IMO

I'm not really a fan of introducing super-soldiers too freely. Always liked the idea of Cap being the only one and Bucky being a sort of dark inversion.

A few others things I remembered
The plane jump was surely a reference to the first Avengers when Iron Man went after Thor and Cap jumped out after him right? Dialogue was very similar.

Is the new Cap actually a super soldier or just highly trained? If the latter he is way too effective IMO

I'm not really a fan of introducing super-soldiers too freely. Always liked the idea of Cap being the only one and Bucky being a sort of dark inversion.
He was just a highly trained soldier. Seems like he'd had quite a bit of practice with the shield mind!

I thought the first episode was underwhelming but this really came alive in Ep2. Great episode. Strong Lethal Weapon vibes. Given how great this episode was, I can't believe Ep1 spent so much time on Sam's loan approval worries. Thoughts:

Thought the first conversation between Bucky and Sam was hilarious. Laughed at Bucky being the ultimate Tolkien hipster and them arguing over whether Dr Strange is a wizard. Their Lethal Weapon type team-up works so much better than I thought it would.

Really liked the introduction of JW as new Cap and liked that they gave him some development. Liked his response to Sam asking if he had ever jumped on a grenade. I really hope he doesn't turn into a one-dimensional jock villain.

Bucky being angry over Sam giving up the shield makes total sense. Same with Sam not feeling like he can follow Cap.

You had me at Lethal Weapon vibe. That's exactly where this show needs to go!

I really enjoyed the first ep but ep2...Hell yeah! Loved every second.
bring it on!
it was everything I hoped it would be

Excellent.

Had a bit of everything. Funny, good action and a solid story. The two leads are brilliant together.

More of this please

Very good stuff and interesting to see marvel tackling social issues, historical and current.

Good grief though, cannot shake Sebastian Stan looking like a grizzled Mark Hamill though. Let it go for goodness sake.

I’m finding this kinda underwhelming if I’m honest, just a little dull, hasn’t grabbed me like I’d hoped.
It just feels all over the place.

Last edited:
Very good stuff and interesting to see marvel tackling social issues, historical and current.

Good grief though, cannot shake Sebastian Stan looking like a grizzled Mark Hamill though. Let it go for goodness sake.
I think it’s fantastic that they went there. They didn’t have to but acknowledging a very current and raw problem and bringing it into this environment is great. Well done Marvel.

Both great episodes with the second being stronger than the first. Love the dynamic/chemistry between Sam/Bucky.

Enjoyed that much more - the interplay between Bucky and Sam really improves things, loved the therapy session, there was at least one moment there where you could see that Stan was close to breaking.

On another note, entering into very probable future spoiler territory - the man who lets them into see Isaiah is confirmed in the credits as his grandson, Eli Bradley - who is actually a superhero in the comics. Could be slowly teasing the Young Avengers there...

I’ve really enjoyed both episodes - they have Winter Soldier vibes and that’s my favourite movie in the MCU. I thought their meeting was a bit abrupt at the start but to be honest we don’t need that drawn out and we spent more time fleshing out characters like John Walker. I think they did an amazing job helping us understand who he is and his motivations really quickly.
I love how Marvel are able to intertwine these hero stories not only with real day to day life challenges but also with political and social issues - they always seem to be right on the pulse at the right time.

looking forward to the rest of the series - With all the government and Super Soldier stuff, we’re bound to get William Hurt as General Ross or Martin Freedman as Everett Ross at some point, right?

Wasn’t hooked by the first episode but this certainly did the trick 😊

Not too taken by this episode...maybe coming round to the AVF review score of 6 !!!

I'm finding that Mackie's Falcon is not a strong enough lead character to drive this forward. He's a bit "meh". Fine as a secondary character in the MCU films, but I'm not convinced of him as a lead character.

Also....seems a bit odd that both he and Bucky are getting regularly beat up....easily ! They could take anyone on in the films, but here they are struggling.

Anyone else think John Walker looks like Harry Kane ? :)

No way was ep2 a 6! Ep1 wasn’t great and I had similar thoughts on the main characters. Ep2 to me felt like a different series. It completely changed gear when they brought the two together and introduced JW properly.

I agree about floating power levels. This annoys me a lot. Falcon has arguably always been lower tier but Bucky was close to being Cap’s equal and fought Iron Man (who in his earlier suits could take Tank shells like they are nothing and hang with Thor for a while) for god’s sake. Bucky is a character Marvel have taken to ‘Worfing’.

Episode 3 - a step up from last week, and a nice, bigger mix of key characters ensures some good chemistry and banter. Am really liking the tone, but based on this, 6 episodes seems about right without stretching the material too far. Some pretty brutal fight scenes in this considering it's a flagship show for Disney+...

I found the second episode to be one of the most amateur episodes of television I’ve seen in a long time. The awkward exposition, the forced back and forth between Sam and Bucky. How they tried to set up Zemo as a Hannibal Lecter-type figure at the end was just bizarre.

Thought third episode was better though still feels they are shoehorning known characters into generic stereotypical roles.

Again I find myself liking the episode but not loving it. Some good action and some good banter, but it's missing something to take it to the next level for me.

Sharon Carter = Power Broker?

Flagsmashers - I had a feeling they were good guys after ep.2 and for most of this one until they did something unnecessarily evil at the end. A just cause it may be, but they're going down for that.

#3 Power Broker

Not great, but watchable, hopefully a new storyline will be introduced soon
As for that ending, unexpected how they fit in maybe they want the arm back :D
Not getting the excitement factor as with Wanda

What was the significance i wonder of
The women that Bucky bumped into at the end somebody from Wakanda? She kind of had the look of Storm X-men???

What was the significance i wonder of
The women that Bucky bumped into at the end somebody from Wakanda? She kind of had the look of Storm X-men???

Either got a bone to pick with him, or he is really working for the Black Panther / Wakanda

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom