The Falcon and The Winter Soldier (Disney+) Premiere TV Show Review & Comments

Do you feel the message was a bit too on the noes about race and the struggles of a achieving a loan for simply to keep a family afloat and how even if you are a "war hero" or a "veteran" society just disregards you after your heroic deeds and aspect you too move on?

No, I didn't associate any of it with race or being a veteran or war hero to be honest. I just found it utterly bewildering. A 'hero' that zips around on advanced technology supposedly developed by Stark on behalf of shield and/or the US government doesn't get paid? So the avengers canteen gives them a packed lunch when they go out on missions, they live in avengers barracks, drive avengers cars. They don't have anything outside of this?
I mean it's a daft superhero show so best not to delve too deep but, if you're gonna add a 'everyday human touch' element to their story, you'd better try to make it believable.
I couldn't give a toss about the overarching marvel narrative, it's become so massive and sprawling that I stopped caring ages ago, I just want decent entertainment. This ticks that box, with caveats.

I just can't get into Falcon, he's an ordinary dude with seemingly superhuman reflexes keeping pace with an actual superhuman... It makes no sense to me, plus what the hell is he needing a loan for, he's a goddamn Avenger ***.. you telling me there's no payroll/bonuses for defending the world?? C'mon...

I just can't get into Falcon, he's an ordinary dude with seemingly superhuman reflexes keeping pace with an actual superhuman... It makes no sense to me, plus what the hell is he needing a loan for, he's a goddamn Avenger ***.. you telling me there's no payroll/bonuses for defending the world?? C'mon...

In fairness, not much of any marvel movie makes any sense at all but I totally agree on the avenger pay thing. Also when asked about it all he says is 'it doesn't really work like that'. Ok, so how does it work? So the soldiers and policemen they bark orders to get paid but they get food stamps and clubcard vouchers or something? Nonsense 😂

He was an Airforce elite paratrooper, you don’t think these people have the best reflexes and training possible. His original wings were what he trained with in the Airforce, and no doubt after Tony Stark redesigned them there is AI-enhanced tracking and mobility, so I’ll give them a pass on that one.

In the comics Stark Industries funded the Avengers (later the Maria Stark Foundation) and members were offered a ‘stipend/salary’. There isn’t any notion of the MCU doing similar, so they are using the angle of the heroes still having to support themselves and family as a character insight plot line, but I do agree it comes across as a bit clumsy currently.

Sam’s family finances stands out as the weakest storyline. I can see they are desperate to have a conversation about racial inequality but there’s just no way you can wish away Falcon’s immense status in the MCU. It is well established the Avengers are global superstars with access to vast resources and connections.

Well they asked the question - it appears Stark was bankrolling the Avengers - now he is dead they may need Pepper Potts to step in - george

There seems to be an inferred narrative about race here. I didn’t get that at all. Maybe a message about veterans. That’s a stretch as well. To me it was just a terrible piece of writing to shoehorn in some personal strife where there is none. Whereas Bucky would have genuine problems that are far more interesting and actually pertain to the superhero comic themes. Who cares about the worst avenger’s sister’s loan application.

I stuck this on last night. Seems alright overall - it's early days but I didn't dislike it like some things.

Maybe it's my age but all I could think after the first 5/10 mins was.....

batfink.jpg

So is the end story how Bucky will carry the shield rather than Mr Fredrickson?

It was great, I always appreciate the behind the scenes real life of the heroes.

It makes no sense to me, plus what the hell is he needing a loan for, he's a goddamn Avenger ***.. you telling me there's no payroll/bonuses for defending the world?? C'mon...

Spiderman is also an avenger/ superhero, and he always has money issues.

Spider-Man is different though because he is so protective of his secret identity. He can't sign any contracts as Peter Parker. He also has a negative public image so can't use that as leverage. He is also a minor in the MCU

I think it was said there just doing it as a side line rather than an official job, although you think Falcon get some big pay off for the job he did at the beginning and seems to have left the forces.
I was wondering who controls Redwing as he just issues an one line order and it does a extremely detailed response.

Was the dream a random on and coincidental what was shown later or did the dream happen because he knew of family connections?

Oh I enjoyed it although though how the heck did the troop's on the ground know what was happening with Falcon when it was clear their view was blocked a fair bit of the time.

but isn't he a kid.. well you know what i mean so, apprenticeship wages lol but Falcon.. he's an adult, ex military and a full time member of Avengers, you'd think Tony being one of the richest people on the planet wouldve left some money in a trust fund to cover wages, bills, healthcare for those that save the freaking world..

He was an Airforce elite paratrooper, you don’t think these people have the best reflexes and training possible. His original wings were what he trained with in the Airforce, and no doubt after Tony Stark redesigned them there is AI-enhanced tracking and mobility, so I’ll give them a pass on that one.

In the comics Stark Industries funded the Avengers (later the Maria Stark Foundation) and members were offered a ‘stipend/salary’. There isn’t any notion of the MCU doing similar, so they are using the angle of the heroes still having to support themselves and family as a character insight plot line, but I do agree it comes across as a bit clumsy currently.

I didn't really think about that one, i know that Tony was a human as well but he was completely encased in a suit that did all the heavy lifting whereas Falcon just has some wings, its still his arms, legs and thoroughly exposed head when he's fighting the bad guys whereas Bucky is a proper superhuman

Thinking about the money thing, I feel Falcon would get paid by the government, but probably the salary of a soldier, with hazard pay.

I don't really know the status of the Avengers. It was initially Nick Fury's idea and part of Shield. Stark was along to provide the tech side of things. But with the fall of Shield and now we have Sword, where does that leave the Avengers Initiative? Their own entity? Somebody must be controlling their interests.

I thought the first episode showed promise and set up the season nicely.

Didn't realise it would bother me so much everyone being able to throw the shield as effectively as Cap. I like to think that only enhanced strength, reflexes and tactical thinking can pull off such maneuvers that are as cool as they are unrealistic. But any man thats kept in good shape can do it? Nah.

This second episode was terrible. And kind of threw away established constructs that had been built. Made no sense how a regular guy can do that with the shield. And what happened to the Captain America level badass winter soldier of Cap 2 and Civil War. And that police stop scene was comical. The whole episode felt very amateurish.

Totally agree. It took me right out of the episode. Cap/Steve Rogers has been my favourite character in the MCU and I just can't get on board with someone else taking the mantle.

Didn't realise it would bother me so much everyone being able to throw the shield as effectively as Cap. I like to think that only enhanced strength, reflexes and tactical thinking can pull off such maneuvers that are as cool as they are unrealistic. But any man thats kept in good shape can do it? Nah.
That was a massive bug-bear for me and the person I watched it with. That shield was being chucked around like a frisbee on the beach and unless there's something fishy with the new guy then it's a massive nope.

Episode one was great. Episode two felt... off, but still better than most things out there.

I'm enjoying this so far.

I think john walker may have been given the super soldier serum and is working for hydra possibly?
And his saying "stay the hell out of my way" hints at him being a villian
That would explain him being able to throw caps shield around as he did.

Zemo appearing in closing credits definitely points to hydra being involved.
And are the vaccines, really super soldier serums?

I'm enjoying this so far.

I think john walker may have been given the super soldier serum and is working for hydra possibly?
And his saying "stay the hell out of my way" hints at him being a villian
That would explain him being able to throw caps shield around as he did.

Zemo appearing in closing credits definitely points to hydra being involved.
And are the vaccines, really super soldier serums?
No Mr B5 He doesn't have it yet which is why he was beaten so easily.

Episode 2 is great. If the other episodes are at least as good then this will be the surprise of the 3 known MCU shows. Wanda Vision was quirky and great and Loki feels like it will be in a similar vein. This show looked formulaic but right now it looks multi-layered and very intriguing.

Episode 2 was such a let down for me. Especially that muppet they cast to take the CA mantle.. Really? 😤
So many holes in that I don’t know where to start.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom