The Falcon and The Winter Soldier (Disney+) Premiere TV Show Review & Comments

Personally I took the money thing as a plot flaw so they could include some sort of grounded reality, I agree you would think he could afford to help out. I doubt it’ll ever be explained.
Certainly didn’t think the army guy was his ‘handler’ just a friend from work. 🤣
Caveat he offered to help out, and was refused, but then it was his credit history that got the loan refused, so I think you’re 100% right, a plot flaw.

Caveat he offered to help out, and was refused, but then it was his credit history that got the loan refused, so I think you’re 100% right, a plot flaw.
He was refused credit because he had no credit (like many) history for the literal missing years. I guess there's no Government back pay scheme for those years and so I'm fully expecting a reparations jibe from Falcon to keep it topical.
His intelligence sidekick is a bit too cheerleader-like. I'm fully expecting him to be kidnapped at some stage.

6 seems about right. I've just watched the first episode for the second time, as I couldn't remember anything from last night's viewing and had assumed it was cider related. It's so utterly forgettable that it's already gone again.

Ep1 was enough to keep me watching but seems like this show might struggle to carve out a compelling identity. Arriving so soon after WandaVision obviously doesn't help, as the contrast between WandaVision's inventiveness and the fairly standard themes here is really stark.

The action was of course impressive for a TV show, but in a way that just drives home the idea that this is an MCU movie-lite at the moment. The hooks for the rest of the series didn't really sink in for me. The most successful elements were when the show most clearly invoked the wider MCU, which obviously suggests I'm just not yet invested in the two main characters themselves.

I have to say Sam's family storyline didn't hold my attention at all. I'm all for grounding our heroes and exploring some of the problems in their everyday lives but this may have been a bit too mundane. It was a fairly generic struggling family business storyline and I'm not sure you can just handwave away Sam's superhero status as a non-factor here. I can see they want to use it to explore race, but not convinced they have found the right way to do so.

Bucky's PTSD and struggle with guilt was...fine. It's a necessary part of Bucky's journey, but I didn't get anything distinct from this treatment of a pretty common trope (the remorseful soldier struggling to adapt to civilian life).

I liked Batroc's reappearance and appreciated he got the better of Sam, implying Sam is still a way short of Cap's power level. I'm hoping the show keeps power levels pretty restrained - as its nice to spend some time with characters at the lower end of the scale.

Enjoyed Sam's discussion with War Machine (they didn't directly mention WM has also lost his own mentor and both have to find a way forward, but suppose it was implied). It's obvious where Sam's story is going, but it is still good to see the world reckoning with how to fill the hole left by Cap and Tony. The references to some of the challenges of the post-snap world are really worth exploring and I liked that they are so much a part of the landscape.

Overall not blown away, but lots of stuff to build on at least.

Last edited:
You need to spoiler some of that @FavouredAntelope

You're a new member so should have read the spoiler thread stickied at the top of the TV forum.

liked the episode - but thought it played too much on colour issues in the US ... you WOULD not expect an avenger's person to be fund limited .... he was also working as a US Airforce operative - so would expect him to have money...

liked sebastian stan - great actor and played the part well..

looking forward to next weeks episode!

You need to spoiler some of that @FavouredAntelope

You're a new member so should have read the spoiler thread stickied at the top of the TV forum.

Apologies! Had read that thread but got carried away. Have corrected.

Loved it! Have always thought I’d love to just hang out with Avengers & see their interpersonal relationships & dealings & this did that & more...great stuff & potential for some juicy topics and issues handled with the usual Marvel aplomb! Can’t wait for ep2

Enjoyed it more than I thought and probably more than a lot of WandaVision actually. Liked the stuff with Sam’s family and can see the potential in Bucky’s arc. Plus I immediately wanted the next episode so it’s doing something right. A solid 7, pushing an 8 for me.

I've not watched yet, but I find Anthony Mackie a shockingly poor actor
He hasn't excelled himself, on the whole. But I definitely think he's an okay Falcon and when he gets to do actiony stuff he looks like he's into it.

He isn't as wooden in this as... Oh my god what was that awful film I reviewed? I have already forgotten the name...
Beyond the Wire, that's the sucker.

Edit: it was apparently called OUTSIDE the Wire. Thanks to my darling wife for the correction.

I thought the first episode was decent, although I did find the hard up for cash story thread a bit bizarre. Top notch production values, the house of mouse certainly haven't cheaped out.

Did anyone think almost 7 mins of credits at the end was ridiculous. We actually fast forwarded thru it in case it had the usual post credit sequence but nope. Seven whole minutes of credits 🙄

I thought the first episode was decent, although I did find the hard up for cash story thread a bit bizarre. Top notch production values, the house of mouse certainly haven't cheaped out.

Did anyone think almost 7 mins of credits at the end was ridiculous. We actually fast forwarded thru it in case it had the usual post credit sequence but nope. Seven whole minutes of credits 🙄
I'm sure Wandavision was similar, first episode was 30 minutes with nearly 8 minutes of that being credits.

They made Sam look more badass In the first 10 minutes of this show than in the previous 5 (?) films.
So you think the new marvel shows as a whole are doing well promoting and advancing their second string cast members to a higher standard?

I'm sure Wandavision was similar, first episode was 30 minutes with nearly 8 minutes of that being credits.
here what is your opinion on the whole marvel brand at the moment think its living up to its own high standards that it has set for itself over the last 10 + years?

Do you feel the message was a bit too on the noes about race and the struggles of a achieving a loan for simply to keep a family afloat and how even if you are a "war hero" or a "veteran" society just disregards you after your heroic deeds and aspect you too move on?

So you think the new marvel shows as a whole are doing well promoting and advancing their second string cast members to a higher standard?
Not sure yet. Wanda and Vision yes. We'll see with Sam and James.

I am quite impressed with both of MTVU shows so far. I enjoyed the first episode and yes they were some slow scenes setting up back story and character. In the MCU not much has been said on Falcon and Bucky but Bucky is quite a big character in the Captain America comics. So a good start for me - I would say a 8/10 for me - ge

Not sure yet. Wanda and Vision yes. We'll see with Sam and James.
but so far you're happy enough with marvel and the way theyre doing everything or do you got any complaints for far from phase 4 and the new shows?

... even if you are a "war hero" or a "veteran" society just disregards you after your heroic deeds and aspect you too move on?
Sam is black but it wasn't about race. The rules had changed after the blip and Sam had zero credit rating. I've seen a similar thing happen to someone coming back from overseas after time away. I hadn't picked up on the veteran angle, that is a very good point. From what I've seen, many veterans end up on the streets or struggling to survive so this will resonate with them

but so far you're happy enough with marvel and the way theyre doing everything or do you got any complaints for far from phase 4 and the new shows?
Yes happy enough.

Sam is black but it wasn't about race. The rules had changed after the blip and Sam had zero credit rating. I've seen a similar thing happen to someone coming back from overseas after time away. I hadn't picked up on the veteran angle, that is a very good point. From what I've seen, many veterans end up on the streets or struggling to survive so this will resonate with them.
No his sister mention the part about race and why it was one of the reasons for her not to bother with going in the first place

I've not watched yet, but I find Anthony Mackie a shockingly poor actor
Any other casting issues you think marvel have got wrong over the years? like how the fanbase as a whole as rejected Brie Larson because of her average debut movie and her attitude as a whole

No his sister mention the part about race and why it was one of the reasons for her not to bother with going in the first place
She was correct because banks have historically been reticent to loan money to black people and business. But Sam is an Avenger so he was less likely to have the same issue. In this case Sam has no credit rating. It could be argued that if he was white they might have come to an arrangement but taken solely on its merits, the rejection of their credit application was reasonable.

She was correct because banks have historically been reticent to loan money to black people and business. But Sam is an Avenger so he was less likely to have the same issue. In this case Sam has no credit rating. It could be argued that if he was white they might have come to an arrangement but the rejection of their application was reasonable.
so you think marvel are tackling important and delicate themes in a subtle way?

so you think marvel are tackling important and delicate themes in a subtle way?
I think it's just a story beat which may prove important later on. Or else it's just background family information to flesh out Sam as a character. They're doing the same thing with James.

This is a good start an 8 for me rating a 6 for first episode is some what mean. Also after watching justice league this was a masterpiece with perfect CGI and the first 10mins better then the 4hrs i wasted Friday night.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom