The Falcon and The Winter Soldier (Disney+) Premiere TV Show Review & Comments

As ever, no more one episode a week dark ages for me.

I’ll wait till it’s finished and watch the lot.

Another slow burn but without the weirdness of WandaVision. There's obviously something here with the powered individuals. But WandaVision's weirdness got heavy discussion. Loki's show looks like it could be a little weird and pretty interesting. So I think they might need to do something each week to keep some peoples attention. What happened to the shield is a good start.

Another slow burn but without the weirdness of WandaVision. There's obviously something here with the powered individuals. But WandaVision's weirdness got heavy discussion. Loki's show looks like it could be a little weird and pretty interesting. So I think they might need to do something each week to keep some peoples attention. What happened to the shield is a good start.
I was very pleased to see one particular individual at the end but it will mean f- all to non comicbook readers.
The actor is also totally brilliant. He's basically my reason for tuning in next week.

I was very pleased to see one particular individual at the end but it will mean f- all to non comicbook readers.
The actor is also totally brilliant. He's basically my reason for tuning in next week.
If you are talking about JW then we've known he was coming for months now because of pictures of him on the set. I only know about his story because once those pictures leaked, it was explained who he was. The handover by Sam confirmed it was going to happen but the story direction made me think it wasn't happening in this episode. Nice little cliffhanger :)

The trailer felt empty and lacking. I thought the bloke in the wing suit was a crap addition in the movies. Captain America winter soldier was 1 of my favs of the marvel universe though.

Cheers Tom.

I think having Winter Soldier in the title makes this sound awesome before it's even started. I'm not a particular fan of Falcon though, and I'm not sure what the long term plan is, but I don't really want to see Mackie as Cap either. Just can't get on board with it.

I said in the other thread this will definitely be more grounded due to both their abilities, and in some ways that feels like it might restrict it somewhat. After the dazzlement of Wandavision, and clearly Loki will tread similar sort of ground.

Will definitely watch this though when it's all done. No reason not to unless it turns out utterly terrible.

6??!! Sorry, but this was a solid 8. You don’t blow your whole wad in the first episode, you have to give things time to build.

Hard to believe that the cold open is on a television show. Pretty epic stuff. And was a clever way of showing that Sam Wilson is a great falcon but a pretty useless Cap. Getting his arse kicked by a guy that the proper Cap took to pieces easily. Hopefully Bucky ends up with the shield.

The meat of the episode was just the sort of character building I was hoping from these shows. Although the idea an Avenger is hard up for cash is more ridiculous than the superhero frolics. Just do an Oprah interview or get an under armour sponsorship or something.

I found this quite refreshing after trying to watch Zach Snyders Justice League.

Thanks Tom. I can tell it's OK as your Review does not have the vicious edge of a certain Review a few Days back. ;)
Ok very nice, now somebody go find Tom a really bad Movie or series to Review!

I enjoyed it when Bucky was on.
I didn’t enjoy it when Sam was on.

I just find the lad so wooden...and making Don Cheadle seem ok in the role of James Rhodes takes some doing!

I enjoyed it when Bucky was on.
I didn’t enjoy it when Sam was on.

I just find the lad so wooden...and making Don Cheadle seem ok in the role of James Rhodes takes some doing!
I agree in terms of I prefer Bucky, just for different reasons. His thread was just far more compelling than Sam’s sister’s financial problems. Overall all very enjoyable. Nice to have
Rhodey turn up too

Thanks for the review. Disagree with a 6 though...,its a higher score from me, because I wanted the next episode straight away. Always a good sign with any "pilot" episode.

The opening sequence reminded me more of a 70's action flick. Cheesy nonsense. It was, though, encouraging to see those bad guy rockets fly in slo-mo, to give Falcon a fighting chance.
Falcon's family drama and not being able to make a buck on the side from saving the world was so sad. Really. Sad. He must look like an out of work actor at superhero parties, hogging on the buffets and filling his wing pockets.
Bucky is more interesting but I'm not sure how endearing or lasting that the redemptive list hugging addict-like story will work.
6/10 feels like a score a teacher may give a student on a first effort to not kill their hoped for potential, rather than a true value.
Seeing Don Cheadle was nice but made me wish for him and not Mackie.

Good, exciting start but dropped off very quickly; I suppose you can't expect it to be set to 11 throughout though. Falcon was fine IMO and the Bucky bit hasn't really got going yet.

Overall a 7. I am hopeful for this though as I hated WV.

Annoyingly I agree with the 6, and I was really looking forward to this, with Winter Soldier easily the best MCU entry, and thankfully the tone and vibe looks to be carried over here.

It feels like a movie, the production certainly elevated, and no doubt the first episode sets the scene for the series. But whilst it dangles a few things, it doesn’t do enough or dangle enough to draw you right in like Wandavision did. Given it’s only 6 episodes we don’t seem to have established much. Despite most of the episode spent on Sam I still feel we don’t know exactly what he’s been doing, who he’s been working for and why. Unlike Bucky who we know exactly where he is in life in much less screen time. Additionally despite much more time with Sam’s family life, and some interesting insight into what life is like for people ‘returned’ (no credit history for 5 years, no financial help), it wasn’t really satisfying. The final scene was great as a cliffhanger though.

This is top stuff though from Marvel, the machine is so well oiled, even with these new writers and directors, and Kevin Feige knows exactly what to do, which characters to use, and how to give audiences what they want, even if they don’t know it yet.

^ Sam’s a government contractor, wrestling with the loss of his friend and wether or not he should pick up his mantel, he’s been neglecting his family.

^ Sam’s a government contractor, wrestling with the loss of his friend and wether or not he should pick up his mantel, he’s been neglecting his family.

That's obvious but was it clear he was getting paid, or just helping out? You would think he would be earning enough doing that type of contract work to prop up a small family business. Who's the sidekick, is he Sam's handler? Why is he going on undercover missions and reporting direct to Sam from the field? Fully appreciate its only the first episode, but with only 6 I think they needed to advance some of the core storytelling quicker, alongside the fleshing out character/family moments.

I am quite impressed with both of MTVU shows so far. I enjoyed the first episode and yes they were some slow scenes setting up back story and character. In the MCU not much has been said on Falcon and Bucky but Bucky is quite a big character in the Captain America comics. So a good start for me - I would say a 8/10 for me - george

That's obvious but was it clear he was getting paid, or just helping out? You would think he would be earning enough doing that type of contract work to prop up a small family business. Who's the sidekick, is he Sam's handler? Why is he going on undercover missions and reporting direct to Sam from the field? Fully appreciate its only the first episode, but with only 6 I think they needed to advance some of the core storytelling quicker, alongside the fleshing out character/family moments.
Personally I took the money thing as a plot flaw so they could include some sort of grounded reality, I agree you would think he could afford to help out. I doubt it’ll ever be explained.
Certainly didn’t think the army guy was his ‘handler’ just a friend from work. 🤣

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom