The Falcon and The Winter Soldier (Disney+) Premiere TV Show Review & Comments

Garrett

lostinspace

I wonder if there is any correlation between liking these new series and how avid a fan someone is?

I enjoy the MCU films but wouldn't call myself an avid fan; I hated WandaVision but avid fans seemed to love it, and I like Falcon and the Winter Soldier but avid fans seem to hate it.

Disney has a thin line to walk if they want to keep hold of the hardened fans but also hold onto and draw in new paying customers.

Mandark

I wonder if there is any correlation between liking these new series and how avid a fan someone is?

I enjoy the MCU films but wouldn't call myself an avid fan; I hated WandaVision but avid fans seemed to love it, and I like Falcon and the Winter Soldier but avid fans seem to hate it.

Disney has a thin line to walk if they want to keep hold of the hardened fans but also hold onto and draw in new paying customers.

I think you're right. Wandavision felt like it was an intriguing show for the fans whereas F&WS is a by-the-book action show aimed at the mainstream. I can understand that. Interestingly, Disney cancelled their Nat Geo streaming drama, The Right Stuff. My theory is that it was too slow for the mainstream and didn't have enough space talk for the space fans, so no-one was satisfied.

DB9S

Hard to believe that the cold open is on a television show. Pretty epic stuff. And was a clever way of showing that Sam Wilson is a great falcon but a pretty useless Cap. Getting his arse kicked by a guy that the proper Cap took to pieces easily. Hopefully Bucky ends up with the shield.
It is interesting that the only one of the two main characters that lacks any super powers at all gets the shield. No-one without super strength could throw that shield the way Steve did and knock people over with it. Wouldn't be possible.
Bucky, as his 100 year old long time friend.... oh, yeah, who also has super strength...... should have the shield.
It is an obvious no brainer if you leave aside box ticking political correctness.

DB9S

Well they asked the question - it appears Stark was bankrolling the Avengers - now he is dead they may need Pepper Potts to step in - george
I even said to the wife, that if I was Sam I would not go to the bank (where they happen to be shoehorning in an unnecessary (IMO) statement on race. I mean Sam is black but is at the top of his particular ladder being a global celebrity for goodness sake), I would simply politely ask Pepper for the necessary loan.
Sam WAS at Tony's funeral (only a select few in attendance) and so must have some kind of personal contact with the head of Stark Industries who he works for as an actual Avenger, surely?

DB9S

Spiderman is also an avenger/ superhero, and he always has money issues.
He is also a child who is at school and supported by his aunt. I bet if the sh*t hit the fan there would be mucho financial support if required.
Or he could just get a sponsor now everyone knows who he is.... ;)

DB9S

This second episode was terrible. And kind of threw away established constructs that had been built. Made no sense how a regular guy can do that with the shield. And what happened to the Captain America level badass winter soldier of Cap 2 and Civil War. And that police stop scene was comical. The whole episode felt very amateurish.
Spot on.

DB9S

I like the shifting allegiances and

Sharon looks a seriously dodgy to me after her last conversation

Wakanda Forever

So far this is turning out much better than I even hoped it could be.
It is supposed to be linking to three future movies is it not?

Coulson

Distinguished Member
It is supposed to be linking to three future movies is it not?
Sorry what is? If you mean the show then yes, all the shows are "meant" to have links to future movies :)

Last edited:

DB9S

Sorry what is? If you mean the show then yes, all the shows are "meant" to have links to future movies :)
Sorry, I was referring to the second part, where you mentioned a certain country. No doubt in my mind that plot point will lead into the next movie from that part of the world.

mooperman

Distinguished Member
I even said to the wife, that if I was Sam I would not go to the bank (where they happen to be shoehorning in an unnecessary (IMO) statement on race. I mean Sam is black but is at the top of his particular ladder being a global celebrity for goodness sake), I would simply politely ask Pepper for the necessary loan.
Sam WAS at Tony's funeral (only a select few in attendance) and so must have some kind of personal contact with the head of Stark Industries who he works for as an actual Avenger, surely?

asking your dead mates grieving wife for a loan would be absolutely class-less in my opinion affordable or not.

That said, if he's doing very specific work for the government in a contractor capacity, esp given his avenger status and his unique skill set you'd think his rates would be higher than "i'll do it for my country"....

DB9S

asking your dead mates grieving wife for a loan would be absolutely class-less in my opinion affordable or not.

That said, if he's doing very specific work for the government in a contractor capacity, esp given his avenger status and his unique skill set you'd think his rates would be higher than "i'll do it for my country"....
Why? If it was done officially and through proper procedure.
Many companies offer loans to their employees at favourable rates and they would know he is good for it. pepper could vouch for him is sort of what I was saying.

But the thing is, didn't he offer to sort it out for his sister, but she refused through pride or whatever and so he offered to go to the bank with her so they could do it of her own back.
What I still don't quite get, is why any bank would, regardless of the credit score, not want to help an Avenger and get all the positive publicity from doing so even if the loan was never repaid. Which would be unlikely given who he is, what he does and has done, who he works for and who he has ties with.

mooperman

Distinguished Member
Why? If it was done officially and through proper procedure.
Many companies offer loans to their employees at favourable rates and they would know he is good for it. pepper could vouch for him is sort of what I was saying.

But the thing is, didn't he offer to sort it out for his sister, but she refused through pride or whatever and so he offered to go to the bank with her so they could do it of her own back.
What I still don't quite get, is why any bank would, regardless of the credit score, not want to help an Avenger and get all the positive publicity from doing so even if the loan was never repaid. Which would be unlikely given who he is, what he does and has done, who he works for and who he has ties with.

i think probably ultimately its better to try and not think about it too much :)

mooperman

Distinguished Member
That’s another way of saying ‘it’s bad writing.’

yeah maybe - but i just dont take it that seriously anyway - its built off the back of comics and within every bit of fiction there are bits you could pull apart with regards to real life... Just is what it is... im enjoying this as a bit of fun in the marvel world - the bank stuff in ep1 was naff but im not gonna let it stop me enjoying the rest.

lee667

Distinguished Member
Cracking 4th episode with plenty of action. Damn shame there's only 2 episodes left but really enjoying it.

FavouredAntelope

yeah maybe - but i just dont take it that seriously anyway - its built off the back of comics and within every bit of fiction there are bits you could pull apart with regards to real life... Just is what it is... im enjoying this as a bit of fun in the marvel world - the bank stuff in ep1 was naff but im not gonna let it stop me enjoying the rest.
Afraid I'll always risk being on the 'taking it too seriously' side of the divide! I don't think the bank storyline being lame ruins the show but I see it as a symptom of the writing being a mixed bag in general. As long as the stronger elements win out the small stuff gets a pass.

raymondo77

Much, much better this week. Lots of tension, had a proper Winter Soldier feel to it.

I feel as though this show would really have benefited from having all the episodes drop at once. I bet it flows really well when binged.

BrightonChris

Distinguished Member
Well that was a rollercoaster episode. The first half was cringe worthy. With the squabbling in the street and the benny hill hotel fight. Then completely redeemed in the last third. John Walker finally given some room to breathe into something approaching a 3 dimensional character. Falcon showing what a great falcon he is, mastery of falcon like skills if that makes sense. And Bucky effortlessly showing the kids what’s up.
The ending may be a bit on the nose and groan inducing with its political messaging. To be honest I’m ignoring that and I just really enjoyed it.

Garrett

I was surprised when
Zemo did not take a vial of the super solder him self rather threw the one in his hand down and smashed it and went about destroying the others.
Looks like Captain Douche bag razors legged it. :D

Drax1

Distinguished Member
I was surprised when
Zemo did not take a vial of the super solder him self rather threw the one in his hand down and smashed it and went about destroying the others.
Looks like Captain Douche bag razors legged it. :D
Yes me too. I wonder if it'll turn out there's an extra
vial of the serum left after all, leaving the door open for Sam to take it when hopelessly outnumbered....

RebelsScum

It’s been shoehorned in because it suits the wider plot. Allowing Sam to engage with Karli on a more personal level by relating his family‘s situation. But it is an unrealistic scenario, within the MCU reality.

Last edited:

Morden

It’s been shoehorned in because it suits the wider plot. Allowing Sam to engage with Karli on a more personal level by relating his family‘s situation. But it is an unrealistic scenario, within the MCU reality.
Think this all being overthought after all no one thinks this should be in real james bond films to make things realistic to our world ;)

FavouredAntelope

I think the point about the bank storyline isn’t that it destroys the show by itself, but if the writing is consistently bad it breaks immersion. Good fantasy writing is still internally consistent even if not realistic.

in this case, the show is trying to have its cake and eat it. It wants Sam to be the superhero Avenger we know, but at the same time put-upon so he feels solidarity with the oppressed. It just hasn’t managed to pull that off convincingly.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: REL T/9x Subwoofer + Bowers & Wilkins PI7 Reviews, AV Shows in a Pandemic and more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Freeview Play viewers get Android TV homescreen update
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Hisense announces US TV and soundbar ranges for 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 5th May 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
AVForums Movies Podcast: 4th May 2021