The FA, FA Cup Final, Champagne and religion.

• Thread starter Deleted member 30535
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 30535

I read that after a long tradition of awarding a crate of Champagne to the FA Cup winners to be ‘sprayed’ in celebration once the cup is awarded, the FA have decided to end the tradition in deference to any player’s religious beliefs who have an issue with alcohol.

Can’t see Qatar relaxing the drink rules for the World Cup in 2022 for those visitors who don’t have any religious hang ups.

When will we stop pandering to those with ’faith’? :censored:

I would have considered it in better taste to remove all religion which since the day it was just invented has been associated with death, suffering, violence and has probably killed more people than wars of territory or money.

I read that after a long tradition of awarding a crate of Champagne to the FA Cup winners to be ‘sprayed’ in celebration once the cup is awarded, the FA have decided to end the tradition in deference to any player’s religious beliefs who have an issue with alcohol.

Can’t see Qatar relaxing the drink rules for the World Cup in 2022 for those visitors who don’t have any religious hang ups.

Especially as most years, the usual row about poppies being worn on football shirts on rears it's head. Iirc, the FA usually makes a statement along the lines of 'Politics has no place on the football pitch' or some other such glib argument. I'm not sure why religion should have a place on the pitch either tbh.

Of course those religions are tolerant of us.

I would rather hope that Qatar is largely boycotted.

I would have considered it in better taste to remove all religion which since the day it was just invented has been associated with death, suffering, violence and has probably killed more people than wars of territory or money.

To be fair, if religion didn't exist we would war over something else. It's in our nature.:(

I wonder if the winners of the World Cup will get Saki?

The proper World Cup that is...….:thumbsup:

Like it or not, religion is here to stay. However it needs to do so with no special privileges. It's a choice. If footballers don't like Champagne being used, choose something else to do or ignore it.

Cant they just use bottles of coke (or other soft drink). Its fizzy and can be sprayed. problem easily solved.

If you look at the iraq wars (non-religious), where over a million (and counting) have died. Cant think of a religious war that has killed that many people. Especially in the last 50 odd years.

Cant they just use bottles of coke (or other soft drink). Its fizzy and can be sprayed. problem easily solved.
I can hear the footballers agents sharp intake of breath when the read the headline "seen opening a load of coke" then relief as it is seen to be the drink not the usual.

And I am dreaming it will be the Six Nations winner, might need to be kicking the ball though....

remove all religion which since the day it was just invented

Religion wasn't 'invented.'

Humans will always want something to believe in... for a myriad of reasons.

Religion and belief are constructs that develop over time. They're not things that people work on in their sheds for three years then take onto 'Dragons Den.'

Religion wasn't 'invented.'

Humans will always want something to believe in... for a myriad of reasons.

Religion and belief are constructs that develop over time. They're not things that people work on in their sheds for three years then take onto 'Dragons Den.'

Thanks for the lesson o_O

If you look at the iraq wars (non-religious), where over a million (and counting) have died. Cant think of a religious war that has killed that many people. Especially in the last 50 odd years.

Not sure, but am thinking religion has been around longer than 50 odd years and has probably done more damage mentally, physically and sexually than non religious wars.

Thanks for the lesson o_O

It was meant as an explanation that religion wasn't invented, it evolved with us along with language and other things that distinguish us from other animals to explain the world around us. (For better or worse).

You could argue that Science is the New Religion, but it's slow to catch on...

It was meant as an explanation that religion wasn't invented, it evolved with us along with language and other things that distinguish us from other animals to explain the world around us. (For better or worse).

You could argue that Science is the New Religion, but it's slow to catch on...

Well my reply was more like Derrr I know it wasn't invented and I'm sure the five that agree'd with my comment realised that.

Although as a side I did hear that jesus was invented by the romans to keep the locals preoccupied with something other than rebellion..

I was referring to Leam's reply, not your post Derr...

I'm sure the five that agree'd with my comment realised that.
Is this Top Trumps or something?

I don't disagree with your sentiment, but Leam is correct that Religion wasn't an invention :p

Not sure, but am thinking religion has been around longer than 50 odd years
I've been an atheist for longer than that. At 14 years of age I announced to my RI teacher, it was a compulsory lesson in those days, that I was an atheist. He went red faced stumbled to his desk, got out his cane and gave me two whacks on each hand. Yep, religious tolerance was alive and kicking in 1965.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom