The FA Cup

Fergal82

Distinguished Member
As l

As long as he didn't move in another direction from where he was standing towards Cavani there's nothing wrong with it. From what I saw Cavani just ran into him and the Villa player didn't move. Will look again tho.
Nope and you often see them not given, especially in the middle of the park. Again, terrible consistency or lack of.

richp007

Distinguished Member
Dodgy decision that. I didn't see any movement toward Cavani, Cavani just ran into him.

Villa at the very least deserved to take that into extra time.

faiz0

Distinguished Member
Dodgy decision that. I didn't see any movement toward Cavani, Cavani just ran into him.

Villa at the very least deserved to take that into extra time.

They had their chances and didn’t take them, against a team that was there for the taking. Got what they deserved - nothing. The one moment of quality in the game came from Utd.

richp007

Distinguished Member
They had their chances and didn’t take them, against a team that was there for the taking. Got what they deserved - nothing. The one moment of quality in the game came from Utd.

True that I guess. Utd were crap really, so Villa can't complain too much about one decision costing them. Although they will.

I think the studio got it spot on before the game. The Utd players are trying to get away with being lazy disinterested sh*tes right now. Knowing Ralf isn't the long term gaffer.

Fergal82

Distinguished Member
DE2F6A09-2063-4574-BA18-AB57C447C653.jpeg

realfrankturner

Distinguished Member
Ralf has said the goal was ruled out because the Villa player who blocked Cavani was offside and that's why was it was ruled out.

On the Aston Villa goal ruled out by VAR: "We had a look in the dugout and when I saw the situation for me it was clear - the player who blocked Edinson Cavani was offside in the very moment when the ball came in."

jamesp26

Ralf has said the goal was ruled out because the Villa player who blocked Cavani was offside and that's why was it was ruled out.

On the Aston Villa goal ruled out by VAR: "We had a look in the dugout and when I saw the situation for me it was clear - the player who blocked Edinson Cavani was offside in the very moment when the ball came in."

Blocked? Looked like Cavani just ran helplessly forward and fell over. Defender didn't even get the opportunity to block him. Agree with Lineker on this one, in that they seemed to search for every reason not to give it.

scrowe

Distinguished Member
Blocked? Looked like Cavani just ran helplessly forward and fell over. Defender didn't even get the opportunity to block him. Agree with Lineker on this one, in that they seemed to search for every reason not to give it.
Having just looked at the replay, it's not correct to say the Defender didn't have any intent to block him, he clearly sidestepped twice to put himself in the path of Cavani. As he was offside at the time, you cannot argue that he stood still so as not to interfere with play. I think in this instant whether Calvani would have otherwise been in a position to intercept or defend the ball is pretty irrelevant, otherwise we're allowing officials to be fortune tellers on top. I do however agree with Lineker's point that VAR seems to eb searching for any possible reason not to give a goal these days.

I think this is one of those cases where VAR painstakingly and ultimately got to the correct decision, but it's also VAR far outreaching its remit, to check for 'clear and obvious' errors by the onfield officials.

Toasty

Distinguished Member
I think this is one of those cases where VAR painstakingly and ultimately got to the correct decision, but it's also VAR far outreaching its remit, to check for 'clear and obvious' errors by the onfield officials.
And here is the inconsistency, I've not seen VAR spend nearly 4 minutes on a decision for quite some time, why last night? It really stood out how studious they were being and it stood out because by and large VAR has been getting better, last night dragged us back a couple of years and we run the danger of going back to 3-4 minute waits each goal just to re-address balance, which I would hate.

If they couldn't spot it within a minute or so, move on, Cavani wasn't going to stop that goal, 1-1 at that point was a fair reflection of the game..

TayWax

Distinguished Member
I think the one last night was ultimately correct. There were quite a few different things to check in all fairness but I get the frustrations. I actually expected it to be allowed to be honest

jason g

Distinguished Member
Having just looked at the replay, it's not correct to say the Defender didn't have any intent to block him, he clearly sidestepped twice to put himself in the path of Cavani. As he was offside at the time, you cannot argue that he stood still so as not to interfere with play. I think in this instant whether Calvani would have otherwise been in a position to intercept or defend the ball is pretty irrelevant, otherwise we're allowing officials to be fortune tellers on top. I do however agree with Lineker's point that VAR seems to eb searching for any possible reason not to give a goal these days.

lets not forget too that cavani was tracking the player who headed the ball across goal but couldn't get to him to stop the header happening because the other villa player blocked him off which is an intentional foul regardless of offsides.

faiz0

Distinguished Member
It took so long because there were three separate things to look at. The easiest part was actually the obstruction on Cavani.

Fergal82

Distinguished Member
The annoying thing is that they spent all the time on the offside which was irrelevant to the foul which preceded it. It’s just incompetence.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Audioengine launches compact S6 powered subwoofer
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Sky and NOW UK for February 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Piega launches Ace Wireless speakers
  • By Andy Bassett