The FA cup final! Thoughts............

overkill

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, for the first time in eight years I can relax and watch a Cup final as a complete neutral - and I'm really looking forward to it! That's the first time I've been able to say that, either as a fan of either side or as a neutral since 1997! :eek:

It should be, (but sods law, and umpteen finals that weren't, says it won't :suicide:), an open attacking game, as neither side is that hot at the back and sitting back will just lead to one side pinching the decisive goal.

Any thoughts on the winners?

I have a funny feeling in my waters, although that could just be incontinence, that Cardiff are going to pull it off. Although end of season games don't usually have any bearing on cup finals, Cardiff did look the more relaxed and confident side in recent weeks, whereas Pompey didn't seem to have any cutting edge.

Will premiership class, as it did in the semi, rescue Pompey again? Or is it the year of the Dragon and Cardiff will follow in the RU international sides footsteps and carry the day?

I want Cardiff to win a non premside nore english winning the FA cup would be funny.

I hope its a decent game, its the first time I've ever managed to get tickets to an FA Cup Final :)

Portsmouth went off the boil towards the end of the cup, but I have a sneaking suspicion that they will win easy.

Perhaps 2-0 or 3-0. Defoe with a brace.

Pompey have been pretty hot at the back this season & with injury doubts over Campbell & James - Cardiff could be in for a treat. Add to the fact there's no Defoe & the game evens up a lot.

I don't want Pompey to batter them, I want a close final with 4/5 goals - but Pompey to edge it. They & Harry deserve something & could actually have a half decent run in the UEFA Cup next season.. :smashin:

Fowler to come on, score a late equaliser & take the game to extra-time would do me....

It's actually the first final in years where the Beeb need to do the whole FA Cup final day thing. We have 2 teams & 2 sets of fans travelling in for their big day out - let's do the old school follow the coaches "where are they now?" routine....:thumbsup:

Portsmouth went off the boil towards the end of the cup, but I have a sneaking suspicion that they will win easy.

Perhaps 2-0 or 3-0. Defoe with a brace.

Wanna bet? ;)

Cup tied??:confused:

Yup - he came on late as a sub for Spurs in just 1 match I believe, jeopardising his chances. Big shame, bet he's gutted :(

Pompey have been pretty hot at the back this season & with injury doubts over Campbell & James - Cardiff could be in for a treat. Add to the fact there's no Defoe & the game evens up a lot.

I don't want Pompey to batter them, I want a close final with 4/5 goals - but Pompey to edge it. They & Harry deserve something & could actually have a half decent run in the UEFA Cup next season.. :smashin:

Fowler to come on, score a late equaliser & take the game to extra-time would do me....

It's actually the first final in years where the Beeb need to do the whole FA Cup final day thing. We have 2 teams & 2 sets of fans travelling in for their big day out - let's do the old school follow the coaches "where are they now?" routine....:thumbsup:
He can't resist it can he? :D At home yes, they haven't leaked as of old, but away? They've only leaked one less goal than Spurs? :cool:

Agree totally. I used to love the long build up to the Cup final. It's boring when it's the big four in the final as we all know their history, current squad, cup exploits, and where their former players are, including, and right down to, the size and shape of their undies thanks to Sky.

Robbie might not even be playing due to his recovering from surgery.

Be a real fairy story if he and the Hasselhead could score. :)

Re robbie - looks like he could well play a part. Has been in full training for a few weeks now, and dave jones has said he should be on the bench. What a story if he comes on to score the winner lol.

Realisticly, we need to be at our best to have a chance. However, if pompey have a poor game like they did in the semi, then its ours for the taking. We've showed we can beat premiership opposition - we totally outclassed boro, so be warned pompey :devil:

I just can't wait now though. Never in a million years did I think i'd be able to go to a fa cup final being able to support cardiff in it. Especially with all the financial BS we've had lately, its a huge acheievement for us to even be at the final.

Doesn't help I have an A level exam on thursday lol.

I'd like to see Cardiff winning it.

My boss is a Cardiff season ticket holder and has promised me a signed Spurs shirt from his friend Chris Gunter. :D

Come on the Bluebirds :thumbsup:

Well I said earlier in the competition that I had a feeling that Cardiff could go all the way this year and got shouted down. :rolleyes:

I think it'll be an open game, maybe going to extra time. I can see Cardiff winning 3-2. :smashin:

As poor as pompey have been lately, we still have one of the best defences in the land on our day, and i honestly dont see us conceeding a goal.

At the same time, we have absolutely no idea where the net is at the moment and i just cant see us scoring.

My money's on a 0-0, with Jamo coming good to win the day in the penalty shoot out!

Which ever way it goes it's been a great run for both teams, and i hope we can all have a great day out without too much agro. There's plenty of previous with pompey and cardiff (and yes we still want our clock back) and i'd hate to see it spoiled by anything kicking off.

Best of luck Cardiff... if you beat us then you well deserve the cup and all that goes with it.

and yes we still want our clock back

:devil:
Looks like a few cardiff fans have been trying to get inflatable clocks to take down to the final lol. Expect a few chants relating to it ;)

However, yeah, the only thing I'm worried about are the anthems. Knowing the FA will allow us a uefa cup place if we win now, and have agreed to playing the welsh anthem I think its only fair for us to respect god save the queen. The chances of that happing though are close to nil sadly.

Good luck - you'll need it :D
Na, in all seriousness, lets hope we get a good game a football and a good day out. Considering I doubt either of us expected our teams to get here, lets just enjoy what we can get. City for the cup :)

My money's on a 0-0, with Jamo coming good to win the day in the penalty shoot out!

Which ever way it goes it's been a great run for both teams, and i hope we can all have a great day out without too much agro. There's plenty of previous with pompey and cardiff (and yes we still want our clock back) and i'd hate to see it spoiled by anything kicking off.

Best of luck Cardiff... if you beat us then you well deserve the cup and all that goes with it.
God, I hope not! Another final disgraced by penalties!

Agree totally on the fans day out. Tbh I've never seen any aggro at an FA cup final, and I've been five times, including a London derby. Let's hope that doesn't change.

@Welshbluebird, I would hope that all of the Cardiff and Pompey fans really enjoy the day. The sad truth is, that I rarely did. I was so tense when I went to see our lot in the final I only really enjoyed it at the final whistle. :rolleyes:

However, and without meaning to be patronizing, if were a fan of either of the two clubs in this years final I would milk every minute. Neither team has been to Wembley in over 60 years, and I doubt there are many Cardiff fans alive who saw the 1927 game. As, going on the figures, it might not come around for a very long time again, enjoy! :thumbsup:

I loved the 2 cup Finals I went to , yeah we lost to Wimbledon my first (actually went to wembley on about 7 occasions I think before I saw Liverpool win lol ), but they were great days out
beat everton 3-2 my 2nd final ;)

I'm really looking forward to another neutral FA Cup Final ..... blimey, I can't remember the last time ..... oh yes, 1981 when we lost to Spurs in a replay!

That's 27 years of neutral FA Cup finals and I'm ****** sick of them.

Seriously, I'm looking forward to the game and seeing two new teams at Wembley rather than the usual United / Arsenal / Chelsea / Liverpool hype. I hope its a really entertaining game and that Cardiff sneak a win.

Nothing against Pompey but I went to the Semi between Barnsley and Cardiff so would like them to win for that reason ..... and one of my best mates is a Southampton fan ..... :smashin:

I'm sure that the final will start rather nervously as neither side will go hell for leather in the first few minutes to avoid losing an early goal ..... lets hope for some more drama, when was the last time neither of the "top four" were in the FA Cup Final? Was it the Tottenham v Forest 1991 final?

I'm sure that the final will start rather nervously as neither side will go hell for leather in the first few minutes to avoid losing an early goal ..... lets hope for some more drama, when was the last time neither of the "top four" were in the FA Cup Final? Was it the Tottenham v Forest 1991 final?
It will as neither team has been there before. However, Utd vs Chelsea wasn't exactly 'hell for leather' over the whole 90 minutes! :D What was their excuse?

Drama, ooh yes! Haven't had that since 87'. Even Liverpool v West Ham, while it was high scoring, you just knew Liverpool would get it back each time. And they did................

Yup. It was 1991 since none of the 'big four' were in it. The last time neither of the 'top four' were in it was 2000.

I hope its a decent game, its the first time I've ever managed to get tickets to an FA Cup Final :)

Pompey end?

I like to think that Pompey have had their minds on the cup for weeks now. They have seemed to be frightened to get a booking or injury. I think Campbell and James will both be playing, Campbell was interviewed after the Fulham game and by the way he was speaking it sounded like he had nothing wrong with him and was just being rested.

It also seems that Cardiff have had almost everything their way so far (National Anthem, UEFA Cup place and that red card being rescinded,) so I hope that changes as well. :devil:

I hope we play like we have against the top four this year and not like we played against West Brom/Preston. If we score first I don't see us losing, after all we are the only team in the country to have a 100% record that when we have scored first have gone onto win, 15-16 games I think it's been.

Pompey end?

I like to think that Pompey have had their minds on the cup for weeks now. They have seemed to be frightened to get a booking or injury. I think Campbell and James will both be playing, Campbell was interviewed after the Fulham game and by the way he was speaking it sounded like he had nothing wrong with him and was just being rested.

It also seems that Cardiff have had almost everything their way so far (National Anthem, UEFA Cup place and that red card being rescinded,) so I hope that changes as well. :devil:

I hope we play like we have against the top four this year and not like we played against West Brom/Preston. If we score first I don't see us losing, after all we are the only team in the country to have a 100% record that when we have scored first have gone onto win, 15-16 games I think it's been.

Who won the toss anyway? - someone won't be wearing blue..

Who won the toss anyway? - someone won't be wearing blue..

I believe Pompey did. They'll be wearing their all blue kit like they did in the semi final. Instead of blue shirt, white shorts, red socks which is the normal home kit.

On a unrelated note, the new Pompey away kit is really nice. :thumbsup:

Yep. Pompey won the toss.
But that also means that cardiff will be wearing our "lucky" black kit. Seems to have done us well in the cup so far (wore it in the quarter final and the semi).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom