1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Eye R1 Review

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Phil Hinton, Dec 6, 2003.

1. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,979
    [​IMG]

Andrew Smith prepares for some real scares as he reviews The Eye on R1 DVD.

Catch the review by clicking here

[​IMG]

2. Lux

Lux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    nice review.
    but isn't 5/10 a bit harsh for picture. apperently the R1 is still much better for picture than many of the orther The eye versions out there, esp the HK R3?
    anyways: The film is greta and I'll grab this R1 as soon as I can.

3. docsmith2k1

docsmith2k1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Lux
    I had not seen the eye before receiving it for review, and I agree with you it is a geuinely scary watch. If you like this try to track down The Audition. Another great Asian horror flick. Was I too harsh in only giving it 5 for picture. Well possibly a 5.5 but not any higher in my opinion. There is noticable grain and (my personal bugbear) an intrusive number of scratches and film damage. The grain softens the image and causes loss of detail.
    It does raise a point though, I have been marking sound and picture quality against the best on offer without consideration of the source, although I usually mention this in the review. Do members feel a more lenient line should be taken depending on source, or do you want to know how it compares to the best on offer.

4. Lux

Lux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have also seen audition another one of those mess with your mind films, that I prefer much more to the jump up moments films that flood the market.

it's of course ahrd to judge the quality as you said it is a fairly low budget HK film so nobody expects LOTR style transfer.

I don't know what the best approach would be really.
    Reviewers can't always judge the current review against the best version that is out there as that is just not possible (who would pay for all this?)

so I don't really question your review just wanted more info on that particular point.

cheers

5. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,737
    You're right to compare with the best on offer, otherwise you lose any sense of consistency.

You got it right:smashin:

6. docsmith2k1

docsmith2k1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Cheers Matt.

I agree that consistancy is important. Since starting reviewing for the forums I have never paid more attention to the technical side of the discs, and do regularly reference the supplied discs against some of the best tranfered discs I own. Currently this is probably TTT extended edition, Blade II is also used for comparison. I also check callibration with Avia if a disc does look bad, to ensure the set-up is at it's best.:smashin:

7. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "Get out of my chair!"

Possibly the second scariest moment in film history! The rest of the film however was like poorly paced blend of Sixth Sense and The Mothman Prophecies. And yes the picture was poor, dread to think what the R3 was like!