1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Eye (Collectors Edition)

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by cdave, Aug 24, 2004.

1. cdave

cdave
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The Eye is now available at HMV for £19.99. Less at some other stores, Sendit and Woolies, but the cheapest I found is CD Wow @ £13.99 exc. any discounts so just ordered it. It was to be a 2 disc set with Three as a bonus film but is now just 1 disc. Not sure it is a bargain so did not post it on the "bargains" forum.

2. cdave

cdave
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Received the above DVD a week last Friday. Good delivery by CD wow as usual.

On looking at the box in HMV before ordering I noticed that under the Technical Spec. section covering Aspect ratio, Subtitles etc, the part that said Spoken Languages included ENGLISH. I took this to mean there was at least an English soundtrack of some description. Whilst I generally prefer original soudtracks and manage with subtitles I thought it was a useful touch.

However on checking all formats, no ENGLISH. I sent an e-mail to Tartan the day of arrival to check this out and did not receive any reply. Called yesterday (a week later), only to speak to someone who said there were bits of Engish in the film, along with Thai, Mandarin etc. He claimed not to have seen the e-mail but seemed pretty aware of it judging by his anwers and indifferent manner.

I notice other threads about Tartan mis-labelling boxes and I feel they are pushing the boundries by adding the languages spoken in the film under tech spec. There is nothing Technical about it in this case. Also their lack of interest in replying to my e.mail shows them to be pretty poor. A company I will be very wary of in future. After all, this "Collectors Edition" was originally planned with a bonus film which would have made it more of a collectors edition but they changed that and kept the same price!

3. Markmw

Markmw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Been thinking about this film as well. However, am I right that the only real significant difference to the original R0 tartan dvd (£8 @ Play) is Chinese DTS?

4. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    can't you get the original r3 release of the eye for about £4 on cd wow? Is this new version £16 better?

5. Markmw

Markmw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There's a non-anamorphic R0 for £4, but wouldnt hold my breath that the quality is the same.

6. cdave

cdave
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    There is the dts and the back of the box says "Optimum bit-rate for outstanding picture quality" (although I would not rely on anything the box says when Tartan write it).

With a discount from the forums own link you can get the collectors version from cd wow at less then £13.99 (their intitial price) so you are not really having to pay £16 more than the cheapy version. The middle version seems a pretty fair option though, and remember, this so called collectors version was supposed to have a bonus film at one point.

7. cdave

cdave
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry to bump this one up again but after having watched it last night I would not recommend it. Trying to watch a pretty old looking picture over the top of a lot of babbling whilst reading subtitles does not really allow one to enjoy what little story there is.

I notice some review sites rate it highly. Perhaps the idea is good but there is little content to the film and I think you would be well advised waiting until Hollywood get hold of it. The last 20 minutes or so was OK but up until that point it was not "easy" to watch.

Unless you have seen the film,like it and just want a better copy, forget it.