The expense of PC gaming

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Sinzer, Jan 12, 2004.

1. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,117
    Hehe, just thought I would make the obvious comment of how easy it is to blow money on a PC and also to show off a little.... hehehe

Just dusted 600 quid on a new Sapphire 9800Pro (218 inc VAT) and Hercules 920 Pro LCD (350 inc VAT)..... got the new Zalman fan too as my old Thermaltake was getting on my nerves!

My old CRT has started to create a blue tinge to everything, a quick bang to the side sorts it out but it was getting annoying. As usual I went to look for a monitor (have been thinking of one for a while) and decided on the DVI version. Stupid logic decreed that seen as I was getting a nice new DVI monitor I really should compliment it with a nice new DVI graphics card.

Should be getting it tomorrow and can't wait! Good job I get my bonus next month :laugh: :clap:

2. Erpland

Erpland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dont notice the difference between DVI and the normal VGA on my new LCD, and running the latest games in 1280 x 1024 is going to cost as much as my Gamecube and Dreamcast put together:eek:

3. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Just got the bargain of the century. I managed to get an OEM Saphire Radeon 9800 Pro for $292 inc shipping (from USA) off Ebay.
    You do the maths, I got a proper bargain.:rotfl:
    He He!:laugh:

4. CENSORED

CENSORED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Er, I did the maths and you'll be liable for import duty and VAT if H M Customs spot it. Altogether you can load up the cost by about another £45. In addition you'll have the hassle of RMAing it in the event of a problem. Good luck.

5. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    I did budget for extra costs at customs, which would have still kept the total price under £200.
    However, it was one of the lucky few that slipped through the net, aided as well I think by the $50 package value that the sender had wrote on the customs declaration.;)

6. CENSORED

CENSORED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice one :smashin:

7. Erpland

Erpland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A 'ready modded' (Pro performance?)
    9800SE - All in wonder, for £180 from the Radeon shop in Germany, delivery is £14.

8. sweetmate

sweetmate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    A 9800SE is considerably slower than a 9800 non-pro, pro or XT, the SE cannot be modded, and an all-in-wonder will not overclock at all well. Also at £195 it does not present much gaming value considering a 9800 Pro is around £215 in the UK.

9. Erpland

Erpland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Radeon shop .de select 9800SE AIW's that can be modded to do 9800 Pro performance or thereabouts (yes 8 pipes enabled) with the added extra value of a TV card and capture card + remote control, the only thing missing is dual display because there's no room on the back panel.

The equiv 9800 pro is £225 delivered from UK (overclockers)
    For £30 less I'll go for the TV and not bother overclocking.

10. Acecross

Acecross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    The Hercules 9800SE can be modded to 9800 PRO speeds cos I have one and have done it!

Great value card with great speeds and as you say bonus of TV card and remote!

11. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,117
    Well I got it all installed on the saturday.

Simply awesome, the new monitor is simply excellent, I had a few reservations but with the space saved and the superior definition over DVI I wouldn't go back. It still blurs a tiny amount but it is not noticeable unless you really really really wiggle around.

Also from a marathon session on sunday I found that my eyes were completely non-stressed :)

The graphics will have to wait until I get something decent for it, most games I had run fine on the Geforce 4 anyway.

12. Erpland

Erpland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That was the main reason I finally got my LCD was due to the eye strain headaches etc from a marathon gaming sesh, and god knows what from the radiation.
    Strangely the LCD took a bit of getting used to on the eyes, but it seems much better health wise now.
    Im not sure about super high def with DVI, I tried to run both inputs together but it doesnt let me switch so by the time I've fiddled around I really cant see any difference.
    I was surprised with some of the major issues people discuss about buying them, dead pixels for example, I finally found one (grey on white) and thought... wow big deal is that all the fuss was about, since then I did find another, same colour up in the top corner, but I am denying it exists as I never see it unless I clear the screen.
    (I do feel peoples anguish with a red one in the middle though)
    As for space saving I have to pull my screen forward to the edge of the desk anyway so the space saved at the rear has just become a dumping ground for loose bits and pieces among a spaghetti of wires.
    Behind would be a good place to keep an actual midi tower or shuttle box but then most people with an LCD setup want the rest of the kit on display.
    Another thing I found was that DVD's dont look that great, all the picture noise is highlighted and special effects look plasticy, maybe we now need a superior DVD format or are my disks just crap?
    And the biggest surprise, on the plus side, was that photos look much nicer, this surprised me as one of the arguments people came up with against an LCD was that they arnt good for photography :confused:
    I just cant wait til they really come down in price, and get some for non workstation use up on the wall in the corner permanently showing sports or music channel, and of course you can do this without feeling too much guilt as they only use 30 odd watts. :smashin:

13. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,117
    Hehe, I have seen LCD picture frames, I think they were about 300 squid though, simply download a few piccies to them and they will auto change, nice gimmick.

I found a dead pixel somewhere on mine but I have trouble finding it again :p

It is the same with my TV I suppose, the more you look for faults the more you find, so I don't bother.