The Expendables 2 Blu-ray Review & Comments

Tech News

Reaction score
Action fans have certainly been treated to a better than normal year at the flicks. We’ve had The Avengers, The Raid, The Amazing Spider-Man, The Dark Knight Rises, The Bourne Legacy, the instant cult-classic of Dredd … and, of course, Skyfall. We won’t talk about the lame remake of Total Recall though, eh? But just look at this – sandwiched right in the middle of all that mayhem, we have the ultimate ode to the Alpha Male in the irresistibly explosive follow-up to Sylvester Stallone’s 2010 experimental homage to 80’s action cinema … with The Expendables 2.

This is an expanded version of my cinema review, which now features a few more observation than I first aired, and a somewhat more sobering verdict.

Let’s go to War!

Sporting Chuck Norris’ beard and mid-80’s mullet and wearing his dangerously expressionless mug...

Read the full review...

Great review/great read :) and exactly how I felt about the movie. I never understood people that said this was better than the first because it really wasn't. I came away from the cinema disappointed and actually planned on getting the blu-ray more than anything because the picture was so dire at the cinema I assumed it was just a bad showing.
I do believe I'll actually skip the blu-ray altogether :)

I never understood people that said this was better than the first because it really wasn't.
It really was.

I remember being shocked by how bad this looked visually at the cinema where I saw it - as you say the picture was all over the place. Very strange.

Yes same here, i saw this at my local where they had just opened with a brand new screen and digital projection system and the film looked terrible, sounded great though, and was on a par with the first film.

+1 it really, really was

+1 from me too. The 1st one wanted to be fun but didn't have enough actual stars in it, so came off as more of a B movie. This one pulled in most of those who were missing, and yes it's ridiculous but it's supposed to be!:laugh:

Oh dear Chris, where do I start :confused:

Ok here goes ...

I knew you would snaffle the review of this one :smashin:
But oh dear, what the **** !

I was hoping that the blu ray transfer would make up for the dreadful picture I experienced at the cinema. It was terrible and I can't remember the last time I saw a film with such a bad transfer.

Now you say the blu ray is just as bad ... great !

Sound - Tyler score is background material and hard to hear ... great again !
Like you, I really enjoy Tylers work on Ex1 and Ex2, so this is not good news either.

The film weakens with further viewings. I enjoyed it at the cinema, but I knew it was not as good as the first one.

And then we are shafted on extras, as the USA release is region locked.
No Comic con either - I saw this on youtube and it is great so to omit this is poor like you say.

Geeeez, as for directors cut, don't hold your breath.
I hated the Directors cut of Ex.1.
Not only was Tylers score replaced in sections by some dreadful and inappropriate rock music, but the extra scenes were not to my liking either.
Oh, and I got the German release which had a really bad inferior picture transfer.

Damn, lost all my enthusiasm for getting this next week now (although I will) but damn why is this whole package so poor ... its enought to make a billygoat puke. I don't think anyone could call this hell home :rolleyes:

Oh well, lets hold out hope for Ex.3 and Sly & Arnie's future films ... it sounds like it could be a long road !

Appreciate the honest & frank review Chris :)

I watched it by getting it off blockbuster but guess what it doesn't have the DTSMA just plain DD 5.1. :thumbsdow

I watched it by getting it off blockbuster but guess what it doesn't have the DTSMA just plain DD 5.1. :thumbsdow

maybe you only got the DVD then cos the Blu i have def has the DTS-HD MSTR...

Anyway, yes, the SQ and PQ is very underwhelming, quite a shame really... :(

I really liked the The Expendables (8/10) having grown up going to see Stallone & co at the cinema but The Expendables 2 is just plain bad, it does not work, it seems to think that taking the P*** out of itself is the way to go. It should of employed the same technique as the first film by being subtle, instead it is in your face, the joke wears very thin and totaly ruins the whole film, all the in jokes just took me out of the movie and destroyed the pace, it got right on my nerves, 4/10 for me.

Why did Stallone let Simon West near this, yes the scipt is not great but I am going to lay the blame firmly at the Directors feet, Stallone should only direct himself he mostly gets the balance right.

Great first film and blu ray:smashin:, Rubbish second film and blu ray.:thumbsdow

Last edited:
Great sound and very average pq.
Still great popcorn flick though. It's cheese and doesn't pretend to be anything other than cheese.

What is strange is that the deleted scenes on the blu ray look sharper picture quality than the horrible grainy / fuzz print of the main film ?

This suggests they have made the picture look $*** on purpose ??

it will be interesting to see if they do have an extended cut coming out next year and what the PQ/SQ will be like..... the cynic in me wonders if they crapped all over this to try and force the double dip....:rolleyes:

I saw this at the cinema and don't remember thinking there was anything wrong with the picture quality at all. The film itself however I thought was absolutely dreadful.

Or complete nonsense, as I have the US disc and it's nothing to write home about.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom