The Expanse Season 5 (Amazon) TV Show Review & Comments

raymondo77

Took me three attempts to get through season one.

The next thing I knew I was buying the books and watching the seasons multiple times. 😮

I'm about 3/4 through book one. I love watching sci-fi but normally reading it. This isn't written like a sci-fi book. It's more like a trashy murder thriller in the sense that it's quite fast paced and full of things happening rather than descriptions of soap space stations. I make it sound terrible but what I'm trying to say is that even if you don't like sci do, you might like this. It's easy to read. I'll be making my way through all 9 that's for sure.

One question I had from S5...
why did the shuttle that Amos escaped earth on destroy the house on launch? It wasn't a single use escape shuttle, it was a pleasure craft. Either I missed something or that's a terrible design!

Evinger

Distinguished Member
why did the shuttle that Amos escaped earth on destroy the house on launch? It wasn't a single use escape shuttle, it was a pleasure craft. Either I missed something or that's a terrible design!
I checked back in the book.
There is no mention of how close the hanger is to the House, though there are power & net links to it. The House isn't described either. And the launch does not describe anything external, it is all from Amos's point of view in the shuttle. I guess the Series makers thought it would look good ;)

Indiana Jones

I'm about 3/4 through book one. I love watching sci-fi but normally reading it. This isn't written like a sci-fi book. It's more like a trashy murder thriller in the sense that it's quite fast paced and full of things happening rather than descriptions of soap space stations. I make it sound terrible but what I'm trying to say is that even if you don't like sci do, you might like this. It's easy to read. I'll be making my way through all 9 that's for sure.

I think they just gunned the engine to get the hell out of there ASAP what with the bad guys closing in, suspect a regular launch wouldn’t have been so destructive.

Evinger

Distinguished Member
I think they just gunned the engine to get the hell out of there ASAP what with the bad guys closing in, suspect a regular launch wouldn’t have been so destructive.
Yep I agree.
In the Book, because it is a shuttle, there is no primary & secondary drive. It is also obviously fairly "gentle" as the Hanger has windows in the structure. In the Series, it definitely looks that they spun this as Peaches has her hand on a controller that suggests some sort of secondary drive to get it high enough for the Fusian Drive to be safely engaged. Of course Eric the "Everything Now" can't wait, & punches in the Fusion Drive. Bless Him :D

Squirty

Yep I agree.
In the Book, because it is a shuttle, there is no primary & secondary drive. It is also obviously fairly "gentle" as the Hanger has windows in the structure. In the Series, it definitely looks that they spun this as Peaches has her hand on a controller that suggests some sort of secondary drive to get it high enough for the Fusian Drive to be safely engaged. Of course Eric the "Everything Now" can't wait, & punches in the Fusion Drive. Bless Him :D
Yes, pretty sure I've read somewhere in one of the books that the fusion drive should only be used at a safe distance from a planet, in fact I think it was a small plot point. So this would make sense.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom