The Expanse Season 5 (Amazon) TV Show Review & Comments

ruffian2205

Yes, that was strange - I was actually questioning myself if I had just imagined it. Could it be that The Expanse didn't hit the numbers they wanted, & they turned it off to save Bandwidth? 🤷‍♂️
But Atmos is anyway pretty rare on Amazon - Jack Ryan & Carnival Row are the only two I am aware of, & they never state it on the "Header" or the Audio description - first time I know a title has it is when my AVR tells me so! :D
My mate showed me his dodgy download - the last two episodes were clearly broadcast somewhere with Atmos. I read that they’d ballsed up somewhere last year and turned all Atmos off, they’ve fixed that now but annoyingly not for our beloved show.

Robothamster

Distinguished Member
Sorry chaps, it's probably my fault they ditched Atmos, 2 weekends ago I fitted some ceiling speakers to get Atmos working on my Amp so clearly a heavy dose of sods law in action.

Evinger

Distinguished Member
Sorry chaps, it's probably my fault they ditched Atmos, 2 weekends ago I fitted some ceiling speakers to get Atmos working on my Amp so clearly a heavy dose of sods law in action.
My theory is that, since The Expanse was a pet project for Jeff Bezos, when he announced that he was stepping down as Chief Executive, he took The Expanse Atmos with him.
"My Bat, my Ball, I'm going Home!"
Jeff Bezos Office.jpg

Last edited:

dion 6

Hi I posted a few weeks ago about no atmos when I watched episode 9 and 10 so today I've checked to see if atmos is back and strange to say episode 1 and 5 have an atmos track and all the rest DD+ only. This makes the amazon prime atmos issue more confusing why just 2 episodes with atmos and the rest without surely it should be all or nothing

Evinger

Distinguished Member
Hi I posted a few weeks ago about no atmos when I watched episode 9 and 10 so today I've checked to see if atmos is back and strange to say episode 1 and 5 have an atmos track and all the rest DD+ only. This makes the amazon prime atmos issue more confusing why just 2 episodes with atmos and the rest without surely it should be all or nothing
That is really strange. Does anyone know if, for a ime, All the episodes lost the Atmos track?. If so, fingers crossed they are returning them one by one for some reason (Technical problem?)

QuestShield

Distinguished Member
Very slow moving season didn't really kick into gear until the 9th episode. Not crazy on the Marco Inaros/Naomi stuff.

ruffian2205

Very slow moving season didn't really kick into gear until the 9th episode. Not crazy on the Marco Inaros/Naomi stuff.
I thought it was one of the best. Hooked after episode 3.

Evinger

Distinguished Member
I didn't, wasn't hooked at all this season. Perhaps I wasn't in the right frame of mind but seriously couldn't care less about Naomi and Marco. I miss Jared Harris.
If you enjoyed the previous seasons, I would say to take a break from this & try it again later. Marco is a big player in the Books & I thought was well done here. Maybe as you say, it wasn't the time to watch it.
And of course, Jared Harris will be back, but in the Foundation series. :)

QuestShield

Distinguished Member
If you enjoyed the previous seasons, I would say to take a break from this & try it again later. Marco is a big player in the Books & I thought was well done here. Maybe as you say, it wasn't the time to watch it.
And of course, Jared Harris will be back, but in the Foundation series. :)

I see a lot of comments here are from the book readers - I was the same with Game of Thrones to be honest. I can understand it is slavishly following the books but as a "TV show only" watcher I felt season 5 dragged at times. Others didn't and fair dues to them. I still enjoyed watching it overall but have to admit wanting to kick it up the arse at times. 😬

Evinger

Distinguished Member
I see a lot of comments here are from the book readers - I was the same with Game of Thrones to be honest. I can understand it is slavishly following the books but as a "TV show only" watcher I felt season 5 dragged at times. Others didn't and fair dues to them. I still enjoyed watching it overall but have to admit wanting to kick it up the arse at times. 😬
I can see that. It all depends on how engaged you are with each character, and so, how interested you are in their backstory. Hopefully another watch at another time will be more enjoyable. I can pretty well say that Season 6 should be a stormer!

ruffian2205

finally got Atmos back so can watch the last two episodes at last!

Evinger

Distinguished Member

Evinger

Distinguished Member
Yes. happy days.
We are doing another full run through at the moment. Just finishing up Season 2, Two episodes a night. Now extra looking forward to getting to Season 5! :D

ruffian2205

We are doing another full run through at the moment. Just finishing up Season 2, Two episodes a night. Now extra looking forward to getting to Season 5! :D
i’m going to do a full run through before season 6!

raymondo77

Finished my second run through of season four at the weekend, fortuitous that Atmos is back in time for another viewing of season five. 😁

Tim2049

BSG is my all time favourite sci-fi and I kept hearing about The Expanse, so recently dived in. I'm five episodes into the first season and it's not really clicking. It's ok, but I'm not getting any signs that it's particularly special.

Is this one of those series that takes a little time to find its way perhaps, or is this a sign that its simply not for me?

Last edited:

richp007

Distinguished Member
BSG is my all time favourite sci-fi and I kept hearing about The Expanse, so recently dived in. I'm five episodes into the first season and it's not really clicking. It's ok, but I'm not getting any signs hat it's particularly special.

Is this one of those series that takes a little time to find its way perhaps, or is this a sign that its simply not for me?

Many of us where the same. Stick with it, it becomes a very different show from Season 2.

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
I had to watch the first season twice to really get to grips with it, between the disjointed story, the weird Belter language and generally having no idea about what all the factions were about that 2nd watch of it before I started on season 2 really helped.

Evinger

Distinguished Member
BSG is my all time favourite sci-fi and I kept hearing about The Expanse, so recently dived in. I'm five episodes into the first season and it's not really clicking. It's ok, but I'm not getting any signs hat it's particularly special.

I agree with the others. Give it time. Season 1 is important & you'll get more out of it in the later episodes, but season two is when everything really kicks in

ruffian2205

BSG is my all time favourite sci-fi and I kept hearing about The Expanse, so recently dived in. I'm five episodes into the first season and it's not really clicking. It's ok, but I'm not getting any signs that it's particularly special.

I’ve been banging on about it since season 1 and forcing my friends to watch it. Everyone of them struggled with season 1 but now they’re all converts! They just drop you in with so many characters, some not very likeable and so many plot threads, but once they start coming together it’s brilliant. It’s surpassed Trek and BSG as my ll time favourite show.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung HW-Q800A Soundbar & Rotel Michi X3 Reviews + TV show and Movie News & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Trinnov Audio announces Crestron Home driver
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Rotel announces upgrades to 14 and 15 Series amplifiers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on UK streaming services for May 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung's 110-inch Micro LED TV on pre-order at Harrods