The Expanse Season 5 (Amazon) TV Show Review & Comments

I liked that they at least managed to send them off and although as an actor they may be toxic, they didn't just move on and forget the character, they were still mentioned and remembered by the crew fondly.

S5 is an incredible, nail biting, dramatic tour de force. Absolutely loved it. Naomi Nagata - what a legend! Like all the series, very faithful to the book, and it looks and sounds amazing. Possibly the best sci fi tv series ever.

I think everyone's in general agreement with that. Superb isn't it? Closely followed by Babylon 5 which is yet another class above series.
I'm about 2/3rds of the way through Season 4 of B5 and frankly NO TV science fiction show has beaten that but The Expanse is certainly the best thing since B5.

I am ashamed to say I have never watched more than a few minutes of B5. I knew it was popular, but I never knew it was good quality. I must check it out sometime!

I am ashamed to say I have never watched more than a few minutes of B5. I knew it was popular, but I never knew it was good quality. I must check it out sometime!
First season is very ropey while it finds its feet but once it gets going through S2-4 it's gripping and at times feels scarily prescient.

First season is very ropey while it finds its feet but once it gets going through S2-4 it's gripping and at times feels scarily prescient.
I bought the remastered ones (B5) but still disappointed we didn’t get the widescreen versions which were broadcast in the UK originally

My partner's just got a free Prime membership so I've got a month to share and catch up on The Expanse. I've definitely seen up to Season 4, so I'm starting at Season 5. Seems a little familiar (have I watched it already?), but never mind, it will set me up nicely for the final season.
Are we ever going to get 4-6 on disc?

Last edited:
My partner's just got a free Prime membership so I've got a month to share and catch up on The Expanse. I've definitely seen up to Season 4, so I'm starting at Season 5. Seems a little familiar, but never mind, it will set me up nicely for the final season.
Are we ever going to get 4-6 on disc?
They released Season 4 in the US but looks like no plans to put out the rest.

They released Season 4 in the US
Yes, and with such a well-received Sci Fi show, I thought there would be a market for a set of the Amazon funded series. I know series 1-3 were developed by the SciFy channel, but series 4 was Amazon. The fact that 5-6 have not even been released on disc in the US is not good.

I can see that rights across all 6 series might be an issue for a full collection, but a 4-6 box set (to add my 1-3) would be fine by me!

Yes, and with such a well-received Sci Fi show, I thought there would be a market for a set of the Amazon funded series. I know series 1-3 were developed by the SciFy channel, but series 4 was Amazon. The fact that 5-6 have not even been released on disc in the US is not good.

I can see that rights across all 6 series might be an issue for a full collection, but a 4-6 box set (to add my 1-3) would be fine by me!
With the whole series available in 4K HDR I couldn’t bring myself to buy it on an inferior format but if I had to guess perhaps they have something in the works, that or the Season 4 Blu-ray wasn’t very profitable.

whole series available in 4K HDR
Ah, well, for those of us in the sticks with only a 1.5meg signal, getting an SD stable picture can be a challenge, never mind 4K.
Yes, 4K discs would be really good, but it would be nice to complete the Blu Ray set....

With the whole series available in 4K HDR I couldn’t bring myself to buy it on an inferior format but if I had to guess perhaps they have something in the works, that or the Season 4 Blu-ray wasn’t very profitable.
I have the Season 1-4 blurays and they are truly excellent. The upscale to 4k on my TV and the general stability and smoothness of frame rate and the higher bandwidth sound make them easily preferable to watching in 4K HDR on Prime which has a horrible habit of stuttering or the picture stalls and the sound carries on then it eventually scrubs forward to catch up. I have plenty of bandwidth and these issues don't happen on Disney+ so I can only conclude Prime's service is not entirely robust. If the 6 seasons were released on UHD as a boxset however I would undoubtedly purchase it in a heartbeat.

Last edited:
The good news is that there are 6 seasons!
Fixed. I know but i've only got 1-4 on bluray. Not even sure if 5 and 6 are available on bluray yet.

Ah, well, for those of us in the sticks with only a 1.5meg signal, getting an SD stable picture can be a challenge, never mind 4K.
Yes, 4K discs would be really good, but it would be nice to complete the Blu Ray set....
I know that pain, when I moved into my flat in 2015 I had 2mbps max so streaming anything more than SD was a miracle.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom