The Expanse Season 3 Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
I, like you, love The Expanse. Season 3's been available to watch on Netflix for donkey's, though, hasn't it?

Anyhow. Totally agree it's a slow burner. I keep failing to persuade people to watch it. They take my recommendation and do the first three episodes or so, then they leave it. The slowness of its burn does it no favours in that regard. Like The Leftovers, for example, it stumbles at first, but steadily becomes something truly worth making time for. Everyone should watch it, and forgive the (still enjoyable, but nothing compared to what follows) first season's shaky start.

Agree!!
Due to the timing of the sale to Amazon S3 was never available on Netflix in the UK. I believe it was available on the US for a while.

Agree!!
Due to the timing of the sale to Amazon S3 was never available on Netflix in the UK. I believe it was available on the US for a while.

Wait a minute. Are you saying I've not seen S3?! Thing is I honestly can't remember how many seasons I watched, just that I watched everything that was on Netflix. If there's a season there I haven't watched, that would be amazing!

Couldn't agree more Cas...:thumbsup:
I imported Season 3 from the US last year. And oh boy what an EPIC ride Season 3 is...:love:
Absolutely mind blowing deep space visuals. And every episode just pulls you in more and more.
Totally UNMISSABLE!!! 10/10

Now hurry up Season 4...:smashin:

Last edited:
Wait a minute. Are you saying I've not seen S3?! Thing is I honestly can't remember how many seasons I watched, just that I watched everything that was on Netflix. If there's a season there I haven't watched, that would be amazing!

Netflix UK only had the first two seasons...get watching!

Stunning series, I'm up to episode 8 or 9 in S3. So glad Amazon picked this up, I think Sy-Fy might regret dropping this as it only appears to be getting more and more attention.

Really enjoying S3 - Expanse is a must-see for me. If only we were getting it in UHD this side of the pond - anyone have any ideas how to access a UHD stream in the UK?

Just finished Season 3 it is a great show. I agree with everyone that this is a slow burner show that takes a while to get going. But by Season 3 wow. Nice to have a hard-core Sci-Fi show to balance out the fantasy shows. I wasn't sure I had watched Season 3 as well as I previously watched on Netflix. Great news that Prime has picked this up as recently haven't been watching too much on Prime - George

Really enjoying S3 - Expanse is a must-see for me. If only we were getting it in UHD this side of the pond - anyone have any ideas how to access a UHD stream in the UK?
I searched for Expanse season 3 4k uhd just now. It’s available and says ultra hd during playback.
As expected from Amazon I can’t see it anywhere on the homepage, but search works.

I am a massive fan of the Expanse, I have watched seasons 1-3 more than once and cannot wait for the next season, so happy it was picked up by someone after it was dropped by Syfy.

I have been reading the books too and I am about half way through book 6, the show is somewhere towards the end of book 3/start of 4. All I can say is, if you think the story was good already, hold onto your butts :)

Confirmed. All three seasons are available in UHD 4K on Amazon UK: Amazon.co.uk: Watch The Expanse - Season 1 (4K UHD) | Prime Video

Cas, you might want to ninja-edit your review to reflect this. Amazon always does this: Presents you with the 1080p version when you search and has the 4K version elsewhere, rather than just playing the best quality your setup will allow like Netflix. I watched most of American Gods in 1080p before I realised I was on the wrong version. D'oh!

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Enjoyed all three seasons.
If one loves Sci-fi they would like this.
Worth a watch.

Confirmed. All three seasons are available in UHD 4K on Amazon UK: Amazon.co.uk: Watch The Expanse - Season 1 (4K UHD) | Prime Video

Cas, you might want to ninja-edit your review to reflect this. Amazon always does this: Presents you with the 1080p version when you search and has the 4K version elsewhere, rather than just playing the best quality your setup will allow like Netflix. I watched most of American Gods in 1080p before I realised I was on the wrong version. D'oh!

Review is ninja-edited. :smashin:

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Well, frack me! I'm a big fan of The Expanse, read the books, import the blu-rays and still did not know about it being available in UHD on Amazon Prime in the UK.

My only concern about the series moving to Amazon is that I always want SciFi of this quality on physical media but Amazon don't have the best track record of delivering their own content ono anything other than streaming platforms. It would be maddening if season four et al was not available to buy on disk.

Having watched the first 2 seasons I was gladly waiting for season 3. I went onto amazAm to watch The grand tour only to see that season 3 was available, talk about excited. SWMBO doesn't do scfi so had to fit this around coronation Street and all the usual dross that is on the box and I'm now coming to the end and it hasn't disappointed one bit. As long as season 4 keeps up with the quality of writing this could be one of the best scfi programs ever.

Amazon are so irritating when it comes to finding their UHD content, I'm over half way through S3, now I discover all three seasons are available in UHD! Well, I might just have to watch the whole series again...

Amazon are so irritating when it comes to finding their UHD content, I'm over half way through S3, now I discover all three seasons are available in UHD! Well, I might just have to watch the whole series again...

Genuinely considering starting from season one again. Not like I needed an excuse, but 4K gives me one regardless.

Genuinely considering starting from season one again. Not like I needed an excuse, but 4K gives me one regardless.
I did start Season one again, finished it last night in glorious 1080p.:( It’s so annoying.
Note to self, always search for a uhd version first.

I did start Season one again, finished it last night in glorious 1080p.:( It’s so annoying.
Note to self, always search for a uhd version first.

I still can't believe Amazon makes these different versions available in such a nonsensical and confounding way. Not your fault or Cas' for missing that the UHD versions exist, it's all on Amazon.

I've actually tried complaining about it in the past, but honestly it's a waste of breath. Your feedback will only ever make it as far as Sergey the ever-so-sorry, ever-so-friendly, ever-so-helpful script reader.

Great news, a show I expected to be a weekend filler actually turned out to be pretty damned excellent.

Even the loss of a certain character didn't ruin it for me.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom