The Expanse Season 3 Review & Comments

Stick with it.Everything vastly improves.Even the dodgy acting from the first series.
Its easy to look back to old shows with rose tinted glasses.I was a fan of BSG but it wasnt perfect.It dissapeared up its own arse so many times until it pulled it together for the final season.As for Stargate,well that was sci-fi for kids so cant really be compared to adult sci-fi.
But hey it would be dull if we all liked the same stuff.
I may as well see it through since I've already watched the first season and a chunk of the second season. Yes it is easy to see old shows with rose tinted glasses o-o though Battlestar Galactica reboot and Stargate SG1(not perfect nothing is but haven't been anywhere near eplisped yet) definitely aren't in that category. They are two of the best ever Sci-fi shows ever made still hold up very well in repeated viewings in their adult and fun Sci-fi sub genres, they're popularity, viewer ratings, fan base during their tv runs show plus how they are still regarded as the best adult Sci-fi and best fun Sci-fi show years later show that :thumbsup:

Last edited:
For me it’s about the politics. The over privileged elitist Earthlings, the Praetorian and militarist Martians and the disadvantaged Outers. It’s no coincidence that the Outers speak in the way that they do. All a metaphor for our own imperfect world. Add in some great sci-fi action and it’s a real winner.

What with Travellers, the Spanish and US versions of Timeless and that one about the faked mission in the 60s spaceship there has been some unforgettable high quality sci-fi over the last couple of years.
Will be interesting to see what Amazon will do to the Expanse with their much bigger budget and resources. Timeless was great fun :D don't see many people mentioning German time travel show Dark, not realistic time travel conception but first season has to be the best adult time travel show ever made :smashin:

Half way through S3 and thought I'd pop in here for some news of S4. Bloody glad I did as I had completely forgotten about Primes stupid habbit of hiding the quality.

I love the political stuff in it as well, lots of cold war themes. Glad the acting improved as it was the biggest flaw in the first series.

Thanks Cas,

Superb show, Have been waiting for S3 :)

Annoyingly (or not depending how you look at it) I am working my way through The Wire (should finish season 3 very soon) and catching up with a few other shows weekly like TWD and The Grand Tour.

There is so much great TV between Amazon, Netflix and Now TV that I really should cancel my TV Licence as I never use it!

Will be interesting to see what Amazon will do to the Expanse with their much bigger budget and resources. Timeless was great fun :D don't see many people mentioning German time travel show Dark, not realistic time travel conception but first season has to be the best adult time travel show ever made :smashin:
Spot on about Dark.Fantastic show.

Shame this is on Amazon. Amazon struggles with my slow internet more then Netflix does, though it gives a better overall picture eventually.

I may as well see it through since I've already watched the first season and a chunk of the second season. Yes it is easy to see old shows with rose tinted glasses o-o though Battlestar Galactica reboot and Stargate SG1(not perfect nothing is but haven't been anywhere near eplisped yet) definitely aren't in that category. They are two of the best ever Sci-fi shows ever made still hold up very well in repeated viewings in their adult and fun Sci-fi sub genres, they're popularity, viewer ratings, fan base during their tv runs show plus how they are still regarded as the best adult Sci-fi and best fun Sci-fi show years later show that :thumbsup:
Dont get me wrong i loved BST.In fact the last series was one of the finest there has ever been imo.
What has impressed me the most about Expanse is its the first show to properly adhere to the law of physics,and not just pretend they dont matter in a tv show.

Wait a minute. Are you saying I've not seen S3?! Thing is I honestly can't remember how many seasons I watched, just that I watched everything that was on Netflix. If there's a season there I haven't watched, that would be amazing!

I'm in your boat, Slinkywizard. I also didn't realise I hadn't watched Season 3. I've got Amazon on a 30 day free at the moment so I'm going to re-watch Season 2 and then plough straight in.

Shame this is on Amazon. Amazon struggles with my slow internet more then Netflix does, though it gives a better overall picture eventually.

No Amazon no Season 4 ;)

Was going to wait until just before season 4 to do a rewatch but might start one now seeing as it's been upgraded to 4k. Shame no HDR though.

Was going to wait until just before season 4 to do a rewatch but might start one now seeing as it's been upgraded to 4k. Shame no HDR though.
Doesn’t really need HDR - it’s beautifully put together/shot.

I watched the final episode of this 3rd season last night, then watched it again today. I really enjoyed it, but the last two episodes... (and theres always a but...)

It went a bit Star Trekky in the middle with the Belter Captain offering sanctuary to all, which I admit gave me a warm smile. But then in typical Expanse style did the shit on the lot of them. Which didn't sit well with me, though I can't say why.

Then it went all Stargate on us! Which I didn't mind and opens new possibilities for the series to explore as the civilisations continue to find new and ever more inventive ways to kill and shit on one another. Looking forward to season 4, but whys that ring so damn big?

I’m enjoying the third series. I like the political aspects as much as the space stuff. I watched the first two seasons on Netflix some time ago so as I watch this series I’m having a little difficulty recalling all of the characters and plotlines. The 8-minute recap helps. I’d like to go back and watch it all again, but with so much on both my Amazon and Netflix watch lists that both SWMBO and I want to watch, that, I suspect, is unlikely. Sigh.

Clem

Any recommended sci-fi on Amazon? Either film or TV series?

I, like you, love The Expanse. Season 3's been available to watch on Netflix for donkey's, though, hasn't it?

Anyhow. Totally agree it's a slow burner. I keep failing to persuade people to watch it. They take my recommendation and do the first three episodes or so, then they leave it. The slowness of its burn does it no favours in that regard. Like The Leftovers, for example, it stumbles at first, but steadily becomes something truly worth making time for. Everyone should watch it, and forgive the (still enjoyable, but nothing compared to what follows) first season's shaky start.

Wholeheartedly agree! Looking forward to the next season. Seems like an eternity since the last season concluded.

Any word on when we can expect season 4? I’ve just watched 1-3 again back to back and like good homemade soup it’s better next day, you pickup so much more.

Any word on when we can expect season 4? I’ve just watched 1-3 again back to back and like good homemade soup it’s better next day, you pickup so much more.

Nothing yet but I imagine a trailer and possible date will drop during their SDCC panel.

... and I’ve read on a couple of sites that a fifth series is on the cards.

Yay!

Clem

Trailer looks good.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom