The Exorcist (FOX) Chapter Two

raigraphixs

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Director Sean Durkin (Martha Marcy May Marlene) is adapting The Exorcist into a ten-episode television series. Durkin is backed by Morgan Creek and producer Roy Lee (The Departed, The Ring).

Unlike the iconic 1973 film, Durkin’s version of The Exorcist follows the events leading up to a demonic possession and especially the after-effects of how a family copes with it: In short, not well … and when medical and psychiatric explanations fail, the desperate family turns to the church, with Father Damien Karras finally brought in to attempt the exorcism.

The Exorcist TV series won't be formally shopped to networks for another two weeks, but executives are already calling seeking meetings to inquire about landing the Durkin update.

If a hack like Mick "Stephen King mini-series" Garris were to do this then I'd roll my eyes but with Sean Durkin involved this sounds intriguing. Not sure how this will stretch to 10 episodes, but having read the novel there is quite a bit of theological discourse and a few characters which got a short shrift in the Friedkin film. The film is also not that scary anymore to be honest and Martha Marcy...., even if it wasn't quite a horror film, was certainly unsettling and disturbing.

Hope this goes to HBO or Showtime.

Last edited:
Now that is definitely a sign of the times when The Exorcist can be adapted into a TV show.

Regards

Mark

I just wish as decent a version as possible of exorcist 3 would come out. Prefer it to the original in all honesty.

The film is also not that scary anymore to be honest and Martha Marcy...., even if it wasn't quite a horror film, was certainly unsettling and disturbing.

I saw it with a mate when it was first released. The film did nothing for me whatsoever. My mate attempted to exit the cinema but fainted in the aisle. I kid you not.

:laugh:
Bri

I just wish as decent a version as possible of exorcist 3 would come out. Prefer it to the original in all honesty.

Me too. I wished Blatty would be able to get his directors cut, which he tried to do when they shot the Exorcist prequel and which then didn't happen when that turned into a fiasco.

I never found The Exorcist scary,.I wonder if you have to be catholic for it to work. I do like it as a piece of film-making though. It has that gritty, 70s, docu-drama style to it which I really like. The Exorcist 3 scared the bejeezus out of me at the time. It's just a shame that it's heavily compromised by various studio impositions and re-shoots to insert an exorcist plot line which was never part of the original screenplay or novel.

Last edited:
The Exorcist scared the bejeezus out of me at the time (stole your line Todd), i was too scared to look at her face, even in magazines.

For me it was Jaws which had that effect on me. I wouldn't even put my head under water in the bath tub. :D

I still find The Exorcist fairly scary (I'm in not religious at all). For me, the film possesses:)devil:) an icy visceral power, and a mesmerising, bleak 70s tone. There are of course lapses into silliness, such as the quaint notion that a foul-mouthed child is shocking (although the "you know what she did?" bit is good), but the craft is impeccable (particularly the sound design) and the drama relatively believable, save the concept of an ass-kicking priest. :D Some of the best scares are quite subtle, e.g. the alarming dream sequence with the "subliminal" demon face. I *love* the film.

I think the series has some potential. Possibly a major problem will be addressing audience expectation, i.e. the need to rival the shock impact of the film, and going way over-the-top as a consequence. An understated approach may be best.

What I'm hoping for is a director's cut of Exorcist III. Blatty's novel Legion doesn't descend into overt ridiculousness anywhere close to as often as the decent but hugely flawed screen adaptation does. I expect a DC will fix that.

Last edited:
10 parts?

The Power of Christ compels you..... eventually !

God's running out of steam these days so it takes longer.

Regards

Mark

Who owns the rights to The Exorcist?

Not 'Morgan Creek' according to William Peter Blatty (wrote the original novel and screenplay) he says it's “utterly false” that Morgan Creek/Sean Durkin have tv series planned.

BUT Blatty says that he and The Exorcist director William Friedkin plan to make miniseries, something they have been planning since 2009.
Friedkin and I have a new miniseries remake script that we hope will one day be picked up.

Morgan Creek, which has the rights to the property, is reportedly shopping the Exorcist drama series now penned by new young feature writer Jeremy Slater, which is a brand new take on the material than the project that was shopped last year with writer Sean Durkin (above).

The Exorcist Series Finds an Old Priest and a Young Priest
Alfonso Herrera will play Father Tomas, who is described as a “warm, selfless and compassionate leader of a small but hearty little church”

Ben Daniels will play Father Marcus, “the intense holy warrior carrying out an occupation that the church no longer acknowledges in public.”

They join the previously announced Brianne Howey (Scream Queens) as Charlotte Rance, a teenager who is potentially possessed by a demon following an intense accident, and Hannah Kasulka (The Fosters) as Charolotte’s concerned sister, Casey.

Last edited:
Oscar winner Geena Davis joins

Davis will play Angela Rance, characterized as regal and proud, but weighed down by stress. She does everything she can to stay positive and keep her faith even though her family is struggling. She can’t help but think if perhaps her nightmares about a demon are a sign of what’s wrong.

I'm intrigued by this, so will definitely be tuning in.

Really looking forward to this and hopefully it won't turn out to be another Outcast type borefest.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom