The Evil Dead - Book of the Dead

Schreck

Apologies if this is the wrong forum.

Today I bought the Anchor Bay R2 Book of the Dead, and I suspect that the disc included is the wrong edition for the book.

The Evil Dead logo is in blue, and unlike two I have seen on Ebay, it does not say "Uncut edition" on the disc.

Can anyone verify this?

Many thanks,

Woodywizz

Distinguished Member
You're probably better off posting this in either the DVD or Movie related forums.

Either that or PM - Phil Hinton or Garrett, they are the fonts of movie/dvd knowledge.

C

Cynthia 7

Hi batista,

I had just been ordering a stick vaccuum cleaner for a friend on Amazon and thought I would check on your query. There seem to be a few versions produced.

Available from these sellers.

7 used & new available from £3.93

Region 1 encoding (requires a North American or multi-region DVD player and NTSC compatible TV. More about DVD formats.)

Note: you may purchase only one copy of this product. New Region 1 DVDs are dispatched from the USA or Canada and you may be required to pay import duties and taxes on them (click here for details). Please expect a delivery time of 5-7 days.

Do your bit for Comic Relief. Amazon.co.uk is the exclusive stockist for The Catherine Tate Comic Relief Special DVD. Click here to support Red Nose Day and buy this limited edition DVD.

You will need a multi-region DVD player to watch this Region 1 disc. Browse our selection here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Customers who viewed this item also viewed
The Evil Dead [1982] DVD ~ Bruce Campbell
The Evil Dead--Full Uncut Version [1982] DVD ~ Bruce Campbell
Book Of The Dead DVD ~ Bruce Campbell
The Evil Dead [1982] DVD ~ Bruce Campbell
Box Of The Banned 2 DVD ~ Box of the Banned
Explore similar items : DVD (50)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Product details

Actors: Betsy Baker, Bruce Campbell, Hal Delrich, Theodore Raimi, Ellen Sandweiss
Directors: Sam Raimi
Format: Colour, NTSC, Original recording remastered, Special Edition
Language English
Region: Region 1 (US and Canada This DVD will probably NOT be viewable in other countries. Read more about DVD formats.)

Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1
Number of discs: 1
Classification: R (Restricted) (US MPAA rating. See details.)
Studio: Elite
DVD Release Date: 30 Mar 1999
Run Time: 85 minutes
Average Customer Review: based on 16 reviews. (Write a review.)
ASIN: B00000G3Q4
Amazon.co.uk Sales Rank: 58,604 in DVD

(Studios: Improve Your Sales)

Would you like to update product info or give feedback on images? (We'll ask you to sign in so we can get back to you)

This is item 1 in The Evil Dead Series.

Reviews

Amazon.co.uk Review
In the Autumn of 1979, Sam Raimi and his merry band headed into the woods of rural Tennessee to make a little movie called The Evil Dead. They emerged with a roller coaster of a film packed with shocks, gore and wild humour, a film that remains a benchmark for the genre. Ash (cult favourite Bruce Campbell) and four friends arrive at a backwoods cabin for a vacation, where they find a tape recorder containing incantations from an ancient book of the dead. When they play the tape, evil forces are unleashed, and one by one the friends are possessed. Wouldn't you know it, the only way to kill a "deadite" is by total bodily dismemberment, and soon the blood starts to fly. Raimi injects tremendous energy into this simple plot, using the claustrophobic set, disorientating camera angles and even the graininess of the film stock itself to create an atmosphere of dread, punctuated by a relentless series of jump-out-of-your-seat shocks. Much of the film's energy is supplied by the "Raimi-cam", a gliding, swooping, rushing camera that suggests a dislocated, otherworldly point of view while injecting a lively if spooky fleetness to the pace. Though it's no comedy, Raimi's dry wit and cinematic cleverness pervades the entire film. The Evil Dead lacks the more highly developed sense of the absurd that distinguish later entries in the series--Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness--but it is still much more than a gore movie: it marks the appearance of one of the most original and visually exciting directors of his generation, and it stands as a monument to the triumph of imagination over budget. --Simon Leake, Amazon.com

Customers who bought this item also bought
Evil Dead 2 [1987] DVD ~ Bruce Campbell
Explore similar items : DVD (1)

Rate this item to improve your recommendations
I Own It Rate it

Customer Reviews
Average Customer Review:
Write an online review and share your thoughts with other customers.

0 of 1 people found the following review helpful:

A CLASSIC !! !! !! !!, 22 Jan 2006
Reviewer: M. Western "Zombie" (Wakefield, West yorkshire, Enagland, Eurpoe, Earth, Some random 'milky way') - See all my reviews

The Evil Dead would have been nothing without its over the top gore and blood, The acting is crap, as with the picture quality and the special effects. But the sort of people who did watch this film and didnt mind the violence are probably the sort of people who dont have a film in their collection without these things!
So the film was a hit, but not to the censors, so this was put on the video nast list and banned! (this was also one of the main five most controversial films on the video list along with The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Driller Killer, I Spit on your Grave and Tool Box Murders!)
There have been 2 sequels, both (especially part3) have been nowhere near close to surpassing the origonal! Its unique blend of horror and gore has seen that it is to this day famed as one of the most well known zombie/horrors of its kind!
The blood in this film is also well known for bieng as thick as jelly! And looking like jelly! And bieng the colour of (strawberry) jelly! Whatever it is it isnt blood! But the more the better! And The Evil Dead doesnt dissapoint!
And now it comes in this amazing set! Not only does itr come in the coolest box a DVD has ever came in (this reffers to you even if you dont even like gory horrors), it is also packed with loads of extras!
For all gore fans and NOT FOR 'ANTI GORE' PERSONS OR HATERS OF CHEESY B-MOVIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Was this review helpful to you? (Report this)

0 of 1 people found the following review helpful:

GIVE ME SOME SUGAR BABY /This edition did it/, 7 Oct 2005
Reviewer: Miroslav Ilko "DEADITE" (SLOVAKIA, EUROPE) - See all my reviews

It is all about the packaging, and this is one of the best Anchor Bay packages, if not the best at all, and the August/2005 release of The Evil Dead - Book of the Dead comes as a 2dvd set with the second disc inserted along with booklet into the paper holder on one of the pages of the book. The 2nd disc contains the movie RUNNING TIME starring Bruce Campbell, it is a 66 minutes long feature shot in one continuos shot, /such as A.Hitchcock's The Rope /USA 1948/,English:DD2.0+DD5.1+DTS5.1/
There is already a BOOK OF THE DEAD edition of the second EVIL DEAD /Evil Dead 2 - Dead by Dawn 1987/, currently available only in the USA, it has a new design /face on the book now has teeth/ and it is supposed to have a VOICE CHIP /like Shrek 2/ activated by poking into the right eye /a scream or something should come out/.
So long ASH fanatics and give it up for Mr.Tom SULLIVAN, the genious who designed both books and all the stuff in the evil dead movies. G R O O V Y

INSOMANiAC

Banned
Hey, Spinach chin, Ive had 2 versions and they both had the uncut old cheap ones in. Not seen one with the blue anchor bay in it although its perfectly plausible.
and it is supposed to have a VOICE CHIP /like Shrek 2/ activated by poking into the right eye /a scream or something should come out

I never noticed that and I dont think its true.

pjclark1

post a scan of the disk!

partyweb

Distinguished Member
Batista, looks like you have the same as me (I ordered mine from play.com a while back). However it did come with an extra disc of a short movie called Running Time.

Bookofthedead1.jpg

Bookofthedead2.jpg

Garrett

You're probably better off posting this in either the DVD or Movie related forums.

Either that or PM - Phil Hinton or Garrett, they are the fonts of movie/dvd knowledge.
Just Movies and tv but thanks for the compliment:smashin:

PS will be moving this thread to the Movies and DVD secton later on.;)

Garrett

Thread move from GC;)

Bald Monkey

Distinguished Member
I've got the Book of the dead and also this version...

EvilDead.jpg

I am sure that I got the 'uncut' disc you wanted in the book of the dead... :D Not that it helps you much.. ;)

I would expect that the 'Uncut' disc you want is in the case I have shown. Another of my Evil Dead versions... :D Which According to DVD profiler is a Renaissance Pictures, Anchor Bay Entertainment released on 03/09/2001 EAN: 060020-620195 82minutes long.... But I'm not sure there's much difference TBH. :smashin:

I'll check them both tonight...

Seth Gecko

retired member
If my memory serves me well, The Evil Dead on DVD hasn't been released in a "Cut" form in the UK. There was a video edition that was trimmed IIRC, but I think the "UNCUT" moniker has only been used due to the notoriety behind the movie as the most prolific title around the video nasties era.

A brief check on BBFC confims that the title on DVD hasn't been cut (only a video edition by 1min06s)

Bald Monkey

Distinguished Member
That seems to be backed up by Wikipedia here..

Because of its graphic violence, the original version of the movie was banned in several countries, including Finland, Iceland, Ireland and Germany. The "tree rape" scene was also decried by some as being misogynist.[citation needed] In Germany, the movie's release was hindered by public authorities for almost 10 years. Original 1982 cinema and video releases of the movie had been seized, making the movie a hit on the black market video circuit with pirated copies abounding. Several high-profile horror enthusiasts publicly criticized the German ban on the movie, including author Stephen King (who gave it a rave review in the November 1982 issue of Twilight Zone). A heavily edited version was made legally available in 1992, but the first legal, uncut version of the movie did not enter the German DVD market until 2001. In Finland, The Evil Dead was later released uncut on DVD by Future Film, and rated K-18. In the United Kingdom, the movie was one of the first to be labeled a video nasty in the mid-1980s and was finally released uncut in 2001.

The 2001 releases being the first UK DVD versions AFAIK, and they do have the tree rape scene in. I'm still horified by it now.. ;)

And this bit made me laugh... :D

In one scene early in the film, the characters appeared to be smoking marijuana. In an example of "self-censorship", the shot was abandoned because the actors used real cannabis which made them unpredictable. However, in the initial shot of the group in the cabin, smoke from the cannabis scene is still visible

:rotfl: Unpredictable!! :rotfl:

Bald Monkey

Distinguished Member
:cool:

Ok I've just checked the 2 DVD's I mentioned.

The Book Of the Dead version has the DVD inside which is mainly black with red 'Evil Dead' text and Ash's face. And has "full uncut special edition" written on it in white... As shown here.

BookofDead.jpg

My other version as I posted above includes the other disc with the blue 'Evil Dead' text as shown here.

EvilDead3.jpg

It doesn't state that it is the 'full uncut' version on the actual disc but it does on the case (just below Dead) as said above it is AFAIK the same main feature, even if the extras may be slightly different... :smashin:

So which would you choose the blue or the red one? :rotfl:

JP73

Hey, Spinach chin, Ive had 2 versions and they both had the uncut old cheap ones in. Not seen one with the blue anchor bay in it although its perfectly plausible.

I never noticed that and I dont think its true.

Just for info, its the evil dead 2 book that has the voice chip in it

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom