The Evil Dead 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Simon Crust

Editorial Contributor
Reaction score
thanks for the review Simon seen this illegally at the age of 13 and it scared me at the time! I remember the video nasty era and the Mary Whitehouse brigade having lived through the eighties, and this has always been one of my favs. is this the uncut version do you know?

Does the UK edition have the pitch corrected? It was too high on the American edition, yet the French one was fine.

I'm glad they've done such a good job of this. In saying that, I can't help but think this film should look as crappy as possible. It's part of its charm...

it put the nasty into video, and started a revolution, a classic in every sense.

This UHD is my third and best version of the film. I feel like I own a print. Not since my anchor bay VHS have I been this excited. Would love part 2 and also Intruder on UHD.

I had no idea Anchor Bay released VHSss.

I still have the Elite LD (and the 'blood red' LD edition of Evil Dead 2) and a heap of DVD releases. Including two 'book of the dead' editions (remember when the smell of the latex used used to give everyone headaches?) :)

Thanks for the review Simon! Looking forward to getting my HMV Cine Edition soon :)

I'm confused. How many UHD versions are there??!

Sure I remember one with no OAR and one with?? And of those one had Treasures from the Cutting Room Floor and one didn't? Could be miss remembering. I have Evil Dead 2 since the mixed editions of Evil Dead 1 put my off buying.

The best one?
Spicy take, Simon.

I'll take "most important" but "best?"
There's gonna be fisticuffs.
Another reason why I got the second one lol.

Last edited:
thanks for the review Simon seen this illegally at the age of 13 and it scared me at the time! I remember the video nasty era and the Mary Whitehouse brigade having lived through the eighties, and this has always been one of my favs. is this the uncut version do you know?

i first watched this when i was 11, every one in school was going on about how scary it was so i borrowed the vhs tape off a mates dad who warned me and my aunt it was very scary. when we both watched it we both found it to be less scary and more funny specially the end bit.

I love this movie, but for me Evil Dead 2 surpasses it - just the right mix of horror and humour! I remember as a 12 or 13 year old being in my local video shop with a mate during school lunch time - Evil Dead 2 was playing on the tv in store - we had no idea what it was, but were mesmerised by it.

It'll always be the first one for me. It was just so relentless.

I love the second one, but the first is a classic.

Me and my best mate watched this movie on VHS on yes dare I say it stereo VHS! It had left and right sound through my hi fi and I used the TV for the centre speaker, so a very strange early half surround. It really scared us both despite the copious drinking of dirt cheap red wine, will never forget the experience, look forward to watching this. The only thing that really matched the picture and sound experience at the time but in a totally different way was Streets of Fire, it felt like you were at the concerts. Cheers for the review

God, I love the Evil Dead movies. I know this hasn't aged very well but the influence it had on me was huge. The scene with the playing cards really freaks me out.

Thanks for the review @Simon Crust I picked up a copy to compare to the US Lionsgate release from a couple of years back. Are you certain the Sony release displays in Dolby Vision? It was HDR10 for me, unlike the Lionsgate which is certainly DV.

There Sony release isn't in DV, unless your player is forcing it.

The Evil Dead poster is one of my favourite posters of all time.
I hope your talking about the original Palace pictures poster as that is the best of all time
IMG_2918.jpeg

And the original vhs artwork

unnamed.jpg

Saw ED at the flix. Great horror film, as was ED2. better, actually.
The 3rd installment - the less said the better.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom