The ever confusing world of 4K and HDR

Clem Fandango

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a Pioneer VSX-329 receiver.

The specs show is supports 4K signal transfer at 60fps.

"Experience real high definition with 4K ultra-high resolution video. 4K Pass Through ensures your receiver is ready for the next generation of high def video.
  • Ultra HD Pass-through (4K/60p/4:2:0/24-bit, 4K/24p/4:4:4/24-bit, 4K/24p/4:2:2/36-bit)
"

However it also states further into the manual - "digital transfer of uncompressed video (content protected by HDCP)) at 1080p/60. etc"

It doesn't state 4K however in that bit. I'm now totally confused. If the content is copy protected so say from Netflix via a Nvidia Shield or from a 4K blu ray player, will it not pass the signal at 4K? I'd like to upgrade my Samsung full HD TV to a 4K one but getting concerned that it might be pointless without upgrading the receiver as well.

As for HDR, I think it's only hdmi 2.0 as 2.0a isn't listed anywhere in the manual (or HDR...) so it won't do it.

Most commercial UHD video is protected by HDCP 2.2. Many early AV receivers claiming that they can passthrough 4K UHD video do not actually have HDCP 2.2 compliance so wouldn't be able to passthrough or handle most of the commercially available 4K content.

No mention is made of HDCP 2.2 within any of the literature relating to the VSX329 so I can only draw the conclusion that it isn't HDCP 2.2 compliant? As such it would be unable to passthrough video content accessed via a UHD Blu-ray or via the streaming services that stream commercial 4K content.

HDR wasn't part of the original UHD spec so earlier models didn't ship with the ability to passthrough HDR metadata. Some models did get updated to allow them to passthrough HDR10 metadata and some models can even be updated to fascilitate passing through Dolby Vision and HLG HDR metadata. Whether a receiver can be updated mainly depends upon the HDMI chipset the manufacturer utilised within it. You'd need at least an HDMI version 2.0 chipset, but you'd probably need at least a 2.0a chipset in order to be fully HDR compliant and elligable for an update. Again, any commercial 4K content including HDR metadata is more than likely going to require HDCP 2.2 compliance in order for you to be able to pass it through.

Meh. I thought that might be the case.

Would a splitter resolve this? And if so, any recommendations?

A conventional HDMI splitter wouldn't offer a solution, but there are some more exotic units out there that do include signal management. These can be quire expensive though, and that money would probably be better utilised by adding to the money you'd need to buy a more up to date replacement for your non compliant AV receiver.

If I might hijack your thread Clem :) I was thinking of getting the Sony X800 Ultra HD player today, but then I remembered my AV receiver doesn't do 4k pass through, only bought it a few years ago, and the one I bought before that, is still sat in the loft. Daren't suggest to her indoors I buy another AV amp, but ^^^ that looks like the only solution. What's the next technology, that will require me to replace my new 4k AV receiver :devil:

If I might hijack your thread Clem :) I was thinking of getting the Sony X800 Ultra HD player today, but then I remembered my AV receiver doesn't do 4k pass through, only bought it a few years ago, and the one I bought before that, is still sat in the loft. Daren't suggest to her indoors I buy another AV amp, but ^^^ that looks like the only solution. What's the next technology, that will require me to replace my new 4k AV receiver :devil:

I believe the Sony player has 2 HDMI outputs? If this is the case then you can use one output to convey the video to a UHD HDCP 2.2 compliant display while simulraneously using the other output to only convey the associated HD audio to an older non HDCP 2.2 compliant AV receiver.

snapshot001.jpg

What's the next technology, that will require me to replace my new 4k AV receiver :devil:

Seems to be that way! 3D was all the rage a few years ago and now they've stopped producing 3D TV's pretty much!

I believe the Sony player has 2 HDMI outputs? If this is the case then you can use one output to convey the video to a UHD HDCP 2.2 compliant display while simulraneously using the other output to only convey the associated HD audio to an older non HDCP 2.2 compliant AV receiver.

Do you ever run into any lip sync issues using this work around?

View attachment 949764

Thanks dante01, I'm a bit slow on all this. Seems it does. Back to looking for the best price for the x800 :clap:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom