The Event latest news.....

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Gordon @ Convergent AV, May 30, 2001.

1. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,042
    OK i bet everyone's given up on this ever happening. Well I haven't! So here's the initial updated plan after collating what everyone wants to see. Only a few want to see everything on the list but we might as well just do it right.

The Event will, hopefully, be held at StereoStereo in Glasgow, sometime in late August or September (not when US Cedia is though...need to check dates). I thought of doing it on a Sunday during a Bank Holiday weekend. That way I could use the late Sat evening to set up and we could take a full Sunday to go through alll the stuff we managed to get together. It would also mean that folk would, hopefully, be able to stay overnight Sunday and take a liesurely drive home on Monday. If you don't fancy the bank holiday idea let me know so I can work out a more suitable day.

We are going to use a mix of new and used equipment, StereoStereo dem stock and loan stuff. Exact models will be confirmed nearer the time. 7",8",9" CRT's / LCD / DLP / D'Ila's. Scalers , Prog scan DVD, doubler (maybe). HTPC. Also hope to have SD1 output DVD player. Still trying to get my head around how I'll get all these devices hooked up and pointing at one screen.......Then again we might get a couple of screens.......One for CRT and one for the rest (perhaps greyhawk)

I thought that it would be nice to not just dive straight in and compare things but to take the chance to possibly get an expert (or failing that, me hahaha ) to go through 3:2 pull down and what video playback problems you should look out for when choosing a display device ie Dot Crawl, Combing, jaggies, YC delay. If that took 1-2hrs then we could have the afternoon for dems and early evening for specifics if everyone wasn't knackered.

How does this sound to everyone. If it's OK then I'll start working towards it. The only other issue is that if it's going to be a whole day long exercise then we'll need to get everyone food. So a small charge may need to be made to get some grub in . Either that or I'll try and get a sponsor! (They know who they are)

Let me know your thoughts and if this is still to your liking. Once again. EMAIL to [email protected]

If you haven't contacted me by email to say you are interested then don't worry. Just mail me and you can be added to the list.

I'm back in the UK on Saturday or Sunday so I can start sorting out exact dates and gear required. If you have equipment which may be of use and that you'd be able to supply....particularily HTPC then please say so in your email. It would also be useful if you could list what gear you may be able to supply should we need it. ie Projectors/Doublers/Prog scan DVD players.

Look forward to the replies.....

Gordon

2. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    I'm very interested and willing to pay some money towards the event, but Glasgow? Nothing against the place, but it is a wee bit far for me. If it has to be Glasgow I might just have to come anyway, especially if a few more make the long trip and stay on for a bit of a session afterwards :)

Jeff

3. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +539
    Book me in!. I will make a full weekend of it. I will let you know nearer the time what gear i can supply for the demos. Make sure the local pub is well stocked for afterwards!. As i offered before, anybody interested in sharing a minibus from the Manchester area (inc cheshire!) let me know. But they will have to make there own arrangement for Bed and breakfast(or phone gordon for local "B&B" etc). I think HHC will have to cover this event with some "incriminating" i mean "feature photos". Paul :)

4. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    As much as this sounds fabulous and I would love to come along for the experience, I think I may well be a bit out of place.....I think that I would be youngest by a comfortable few years and I would have nothing to contribute.....but i will have a think about it.

Adam

5. mart.stokes

mart.stokes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would love to come and, like others, believe the experience would be so useful that I would be more than willing to pay a fee towards it. Alas, I cannot contribute any equipment. If I have to stay in a cheap hotel for a few nights and pay a fee to get in then it is a small price to pay compared to making a £5000+ mistake next year when I will be considering purchasing a projector.

I'll have a few spare seats in my car which will be leaving from Telford in Shropshire but, as I said, I'll probably be staying up there for a day or two. If anybody wants a lift let me know (I can't go if it is August 18th or 19th, I am off to Ireland for the weekend).

I am certain other people feel the gratitude I do towards Gordon for putting the time and effort into this event.

6. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59

How old are you then? I'll be going along.

Rick

7. Metric

Metric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jeez make me feel old man...im only 24 and im going and my hcc mad cousin who is 17 is also attending.

Mike

8. mart.stokes

mart.stokes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AGE SHOULD NOT BE A BARRIER TO ANYBODY. I'm a deaf old fart with failing eyesight, I'm at more of a disadvantage than somebody young.

9. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am addmittedly surprised.....I am 19, so maybe I am far from the youngest! No one else I know is interested in homecinema....well they are when they catch wind of the idea of playing mariokart on a 7 foot screen! In fact, most people call me mad! Nice to know im not alone!!

Adam

10. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    I agree totally. It is just a pity that the young don't have the money when they want it.

Count me in. Any dates? It will be nice to have a few beers and match faces to handles.

11. Metric

Metric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

err....love handles?

12. carol harvey

carol harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gordon,
    Will you have s/hand and demostock for sale?

If so,what?

13. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,042
    I don't want this thread to end up as a "here's the stuff I've got to sell" . I know that's not your intention and I don't want to get on the wrong side of the admin staff here.

I will let folk know what will be available s/h nearer the time. If I have some s/h crt's then chances are I'll be using them and they'll be available for purchase, that is, unless we end up using one I want.....

I am going to try and see if we can arrange something with StereoStereo or the manufacturers who decide to participate to give forum members who come an "incentive"

Any further questions relating to the Event please email me direct. In the next 7-14 days I'll set a date. At that time I'll need to get a VERY realistic idea as to who is and isn't going to make it.

Cheers,

Gordon......back in the UK now but awake for 25hrs and counting.....

[ 02-06-2001: Message edited by: Gordon, StereoStereo ]

14. bobsyeruncle

bobsyeruncle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would be keen to attend. I don't have any gear for demo though

15. ROGER THE LODGER

ROGER THE LODGER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Dear Gordon

Would love to attend,just confirm dates so I can book flights - any suggestions on accommodation.

Roger the Lodger

16. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,042
    It's looking extremely like August 26th. However, we have a potential special forum guest who I'd like to come but I need to confirm will be available. Also one of the suppliers who initially agreed to help out is temporarily unavailable till next Monday.

It can't happen without that companies help so we need to be a bit more patient.

Once we've confirmed the date I'll make enquiries for you all about special room rates at the hotels beside the shop. As Liam pointed out the Malmaison is right next door. It's a nice hotel with a great restaurant. Poss slightly too expensive though.

There's also a new Novotel just been built about 50 yrds from the Malmasion, so 2 minutes from the shop. They may be more open to special discounts. Not been in their bar yet, but there's plenty nice one's nearby.

"I love it when a plan comes together!"

Gordon

17. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    I mentioned to the wife about going to Scotland. Now all I get is "When are you going to Scotland?, When are you going to Scotland?"... Nag,nag,nag... It's like she can't wait to get rid of me. :)

18. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    That sounds very familiar....

19. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +291
    Yeah, Malmaison is great for taking the wife / girlfriend (though not both at the same time ;) ), but a cheap room in a reasonable hotel would be ideal for this event. Anyone fancy meeting up afterwards for a meal/drinks?

Cheers,
    Liam

20. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +291
  21. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I will probably be staying in Edinburgh for a few days before and after, that Novotel sounds nice for the weekend.
    Is there anytiing else interesting in Glasgow other then the football?

cheers

rick

22. Gary Palmer

Gary Palmer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Can't wait.

24th August is my birfday. I'll be allowed to get p*ssed.

23. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +539
    My loved one wants to come with me but i'll have to take the wife instead!. My family lives in Glenrothes (Near Edinburgh) so a visit/stay with them is on the cards.
    Concerning things to do, there is a dry Ski slope near Edinburgh, plus lots of places to go fishing (fly/course etc) if you go up in a car.
    You can go on a magical mystery tour, offically known as the M8/9 city bypass!(think carmaggedon then make it nastier) :D .
    I'am sure Gordon will be able to come up with much better alternative pursuits nearer to the shop, but Scotland is just so beautiful and there is just so much to go and see its hard were to start etc. I don't think anyone will regret using the weekend as a excuse to go to the event AND see a bit of Scotland.

PS There "last orders" is twelve midnight! ;)