The EU is About to Destroy The Internet

Tempest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Forgive the SHOCK HEADLINE title, but I'm keen to get people's views on this.
I must have been under a rock recently as I knew nothing about what this video is talking about.

I'm wondering. Can this actually be true?
If they do what this video below says is about to be voted on, it will literally change everything.

It's a little long, 11 mins, and requires some attention to listen,
but would hope someone can tell me, nope, this stupid idea will get blocked, won't get passed and will not happen:

See what you think:

In response to the campaign, a European Commission spokesperson told Sky News: "The idea behind our copyright proposals is that people should be able to make a living from their creative ideas.

"The proposals to modernise EU copyright provisions will not harm freedom of expression on the internet.

"They take into account technological developments that have already been introduced by some of the major players and which help in two ways.

"Firstly, they help to inform authors when their works are used online and to prevent that these works are used by major online platforms without their author's consent.

"Secondly, such technological developments help to ensure the author's fair remuneration for their work."

I think the campaigners may be exaggerating the actual impact this will have...

meme stealer.jpg

Really? Are you joking?

It would mean no one here could post a link to an article, a story, a photo. Pretty much nothing.

Sharing links is fine, it's the copying of some of the content the link contains to create a summary that's an issue.

If it did go ahead you'd just have to summarise what the link contained yourself instead of copy and pasting. It would mean the auto-summaries got dropped from sites like twitter etc.

There are a lot of genuine concerns about that article 11 and a couple of other articles in the proposal but I they're not going to prevent you posting a link on AVF even if they pass.
EU copyright reform/expansion

Good job we're leaving then. They'll never take our dank memes, the left cant meme but there's no need for them to get that upset that they want to ban them.

Sharing links is fine, it's the copying of some of the content the link contains to create a summary that's an issue.

If it did go ahead you'd just have to summarise what the link contained yourself instead of copy and pasting. It would mean the auto-summaries got dropped from sites like twitter etc.

There are a lot of genuine concerns about that article 11 and a couple of other articles in the proposal but I they're not going to prevent you posting a link on AVF even if they pass.
EU copyright reform/expansion

So what about a funny photo, or amazing photo thread?
I can't track down the original artist to ask if I need to pay a royalty for each one if I find something I'd like to share or get comments on.

As always, hard to get good explanations.
But those in charge not knowing what they are doing in the 1st place is always a worry, eps when they are being "steered" by others with agenda's

The sad thing is, in Brussels or wherever their parliament was on that day, they thought irrelevant legislation like this was necessary. Did no one stand up and say, "isn't there bigger stuff to worry about, like class 1 bananas with abnormal curvature?"

I can't track down the original artist to ask if I need to pay a royalty for each one if I find something I'd like to share or get comments on.

So you should have permission to use somebody's work regardless of whether they'd want you to or not?

This is just one of many attempts to tweak the balance between protecting people's ability to make money off their hard work and not stifling culture.

We could probably all agree that the balance is no longer correct in the digital age, but nobody knows where the correct balance is yet. Painting it in terms of 'Bunch of incompetents wants to ban memes!' isn't helpful to anyone.

Is this thread sponsored by Russia?

So you should have permission to use somebody's work regardless of whether they'd want you to or not?

This is just one of many attempts to tweak the balance between protecting people's ability to make money off their hard work and not stifling culture.

We could probably all agree that the balance is no longer correct in the digital age, but nobody knows where the correct balance is yet. Painting it in terms of 'Bunch of incompetents wants to ban memes!' isn't helpful to anyone.

Depends on reasons why of course, making money from it, are you slagging something of?
Take your Elephant Profile Photo. You are using that, did you get the original artists permission?

My Profile photo, do I need to contact Atari and need to pay a small royalty to use a screen capture taken from their Tempest arcade machine?

Or just leave us alone, whilst technically using others created content, is OUR use of is causing any harm to anyone?

Is this anything new ? Try using a Getty Image and see how long the wait is before a cyber knock at the door

As always, hard to get good explanations.
But those in charge not knowing what they are doing in the 1st place is always a worry, eps when they are being "steered" by others with agenda's
Why not use your own creativity and create more new and unique content instead of stealing someone else’s work?

Is this anything new ? Try using a Getty Image and see how long the wait is before a cyber knock at the door
There is a new element to it yes, as there were exemptions previously when used for certain purposes. I never agreed with that; you know take someone’s stock photography super imposes with some random text that then goes viral using Facebook. The originator can never sell his stock photo again. And worse, you’ll see other “scam artists” trying to sell that photo as theirs.

The current rules limit creativity in my opinion.

Want to stop this, don't let people post pictures online, problem solved.

Puny EU ain't gonna stop jack.

i suspect the biggest problem with his will be you-tubes faulty algorithm filtering out legitimate content as well as the infringing stuff.

the biggest takeaways from this is that countries want to control the internet and slowly they are gaining more and more control over something they dont own

the biggest takeaways from this is that countries want to control the internet and slowly they are gaining more and more control over something they dont own
The irony is strong there considering the meme script kiddies didn’t own the photos to begin with. Those belong to the artists that worked hard to make them.

the problem will be what is fair use and what is copyright infringement and i suspect fair use will loose out to the upload filter

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom