The eshop game & apps thread

addyb

Distinguished Member
Well thought id start a thread for the eshop. I know the 3DS section isnt exactly a hive of activity but thought it might be handy for us to share thoughts on purchases etc.

Ok to kick things off ive bought Zen pinball and the new addition pullblox

Zen pinball is £4.50 and has 4 tables on offer. (Excalibur, Eldorado, Shaman & Earth defence). It also has additional features like local multiplayer and local, online, friend leaderboards. Finally on the pause menu of each table there is an option to view the ruled of each table and this basically lists the features of each one so you get an idea of scoring etc. You also have 8 different camera angles to play with to suit yout needs. (view 6 is my preference)

I personally think its a great game and the 3D effect really does enhance the game. The 4 tables are all different from each other and after some time with each you get used to how the combos work and what gives you good points. With extra dlc coming early next year its a worthy purchase even if your not a huge pinball fan.

Ok onto Pullblox which is a puzzle game priced at £5.40 I wasnt too sure whether to get this at first but after finding out it was made by intelligent systems, (of warioware, advanced wars and paper Mario fame) I knew I had to try it.

Now ive only done a few tutorial levels at the time of typing this so cant give a detailed review but heres a few here:

Pushmo Critic Reviews for 3DS at Metacritic.com

The basic premise is that your a little fella called "mallo" whos tasked with rescuing kids trapped inside pullblox devices which are comprised of different shaped blocks. You basically have to pull/push blocks to create a path up to the top of the block to save the kids.
Its simple in concept but again apparently gets quite taxing further in with more features added and with over 250 levels it should give you plenty to sink your teeth into.

What gives the game longevity is the addition of a level creator which lets you create your own pullblox puzzles and share them over the internet via QR codes.

Like I mentioned ive only spent a little time on it so far but its great and again for the pricr its the best game to hit the eshop thus far. They could of packaged this up for £20+ theres so much content here. Anyway check out the metacritic review link I posted above for more details.

So to sum up ive spent just short of a tenner on 2 games that are great and if this is a taster of what to expect in the eshop then the future looks bright in this regard. Especially if they keep the pricing reasonable like the above 2 ive waffled about. :)

PocketOperator

Good idea creating this thread addy. I also have ZP as you know and I've just bought Pullblox, it does look a really good game and the level editor is brilliant.

As for the eShop, I absolutely love it and can only see it getting better and better. The Wii's VC and WiiWare titles have proved that, so I see no reason why the eShop won't be the same.

Also the charts section of the eShop is a great place to see what's getting the best reviews etc.

Amph

Distinguished Member
Nice one on this thread Addyb. Had been contemplating starting one for a couple of days but thought I'd never keep it updated, which is the most important thing in a thread like this. Basically I'm saying I'm too lazy and/easily distracted. Shame really as... Oh look that dog has a puffy tail!

Amph

Distinguished Member
I guessed this falls under eshop/apps...

Does the Nintendo Video app only show 4 videos at a time and is there no way to delete the ones you've finished with?

Also, has anyone watched the Zelda Fairy music Orchestral piece in 3d? Absolutely beautiful piece of harp playing coupled with a great video (for showing off the 3ds). Wish you could save the video/track.

vinvader

Another thumbs up for Zen Pinball and Pullbox. :thumbsup:

The 3D in Zen Pinball looks great, all the tables are good too, I don't think there's a bad one amongst them. I'll definitely download some more when they're made available. The high score table between your friends is great fun and keeps you coming back for more.

I'm really enjoying Pullbox too, the concept is a really nice idea. It was the levels based on the 8bit Mario and Zelda characters that initially attracted me along with the chance to build and share your own puzzles. I'm on number 56 at the moment and must admit that so far it's too easy, there's only been about 2 puzzles that I didn't do on my first go, but they've all been fun.

vinvader

I guessed this falls under eshop/apps...

Does the Nintendo Video app only show 4 videos at a time and is there no way to delete the ones you've finished with?

Yes the app only has up to 4 videos at a time which delete themselves when new ones come along. Occasionally there are 3D trailers in the eshop that you can download for free and keep. I've got a 3D trailers for The Green Lantern film and every big upcoming 3DS game (Resident Evil, Paper Mario, Luigi's Mansion, Metal Gear etc).

addyb

Distinguished Member
Another thumbs up for Zen Pinball and Pullbox. :thumbsup:

The 3D in Zen Pinball looks great, all the tables are good too, I don't think there's a bad one amongst them. I'll definitely download some more when they're made available. The high score table between your friends is great fun and keeps you coming back for more.

I'm really enjoying Pullbox too, the concept is a really nice idea. It was the levels based on the 8bit Mario and Zelda characters that initially attracted me along with the chance to build and share your own puzzles. I'm on number 56 at the moment and must admit that so far it's too easy, there's only been about 2 puzzles that I didn't do on my first go, but they've all been fun.

Your finding it easier then me then mate. Ive never been particularly good at puzzle games. I never see the obvious staring right at me. Im only about 30 levels in but been stuck on the odd occasion. But once I do it I think god what an idiot!! :)

PocketOperator

I thought the Zelda 25th Anniversary music videos was the weakest of the 3D videos so far. There was a really good cartoon short involving animals chasing another one trying to steal their food (worst description ever!!! lol). The Puss In Boots trailer is good too.

Amph

Distinguished Member
I thought the Zelda 25th Anniversary music videos was the weakest of the 3D videos so far. There was a really good cartoon short involving animals chasing another one trying to steal their food (worst description ever!!! lol). The Puss In Boots trailer is good too.
Only seen the 4 current vids so not much to compare to but thoughtthe zelda vid wiped the floor with the others. But then as my nephew might say, I'm gay for Zelda. lol

vinvader

The 3DS messaging system is arriving this week, and will be available to download free through the 3DS eShop.

Nintendo Letter Box press release:

Available to download for free via the Nintendo eShop this week is Nintendo Letter Box. Nintendo Letter Box is a fun, simple and creative new way to stay connected with your friends via StreetPass and SpotPass. You can send them messages, 2D and 3D drawings, as well as photos and sound effects all through your Nintendo 3DS. The perfect opportunity to send your friends some Christmas greetings.

Amph

Distinguished Member
MotoHeroz (oh why the awful spelling?!) is being released on 3ds apparently. Demo due this week on eShop.

Never heard of it before but apparently it already exists on Wiiware. Took a look at some vids (Wii) on youtube and it looks pretty decent and intriguing. Something like a cross between Trials (360/PS3 - made by the same people), Unirally :D and Donkey Kong Country:laugh:.. but in Buggies.

Here's some of that Wii footage.
Anyone considering it?

Last edited:

addyb

Distinguished Member
My nephew has this on his Wii. Great little game so will pick it up if its at a reasonable price.

Amph

Distinguished Member
Well, Letter Box (the Nintendo messenger) is available on eShop now. Have given it a go and it's a nice little app. Allows you to write/draw in 3D as well as attaching photo's and apparently sounds too.

Have already received a letter from a friend and it looks good enough.

The one drawback I have noticed is that there is a limit to how much writing/drawing you can put into a message. But that's a very minor gripe.

Anyway, not sure how useful it will actually be for quick messaging but should be useful enough for setting up/reminding people about race meets or sutin.

addyb

Distinguished Member
Yeah got this before myself. Nice little feature but annoyed that it cannot run in the background so you have to actually close your game/app etc to go into the letterbox. So I guess its ok for generally messing about but come on Nintendo give me the ability to view messages whilst in a game like you can on the ps3 and 360.

vinvader

Ha ha, letter box is quite fun, I'll have to have a bit of a mess around with it then I'll send you all some 'letters'.

I was having a look around the eshop and noticed that there was some software updates for Zen Pinball and Pullbox, had you guys noticed this?

addyb

Distinguished Member
Ha ha, letter box is quite fun, I'll have to have a bit of a mess around with it then I'll send you all some 'letters'.

I was having a look around the eshop and noticed that there was some software updates for Zen Pinball and Pullbox, had you guys noticed this?

Yeah I noticed that. Doesnt seem to have updated anything though?
Talking of pinball its time to try and beat my record on shaman table!

vinvader

Yeah that's weird there was no update listed in the update section but there was under 'titles you've downloaded'. I installed the Pull Blox one but it didn't seem to do anything.

Ha ha I've only got one hi-score left that you haven't beat, I'll have to get on it over Christmas. :smashin:

Amph

Distinguished Member
Well some creative peer pressure via Letterbox lead to me buying Zen Pinball last night. Very pleasantlly surprised as even though comments on here have been good, pinball games aren't really my thing.

The 3D seems to have been implemented really well and probably the easiest on the eye for me so far.

Only had a quick blast last night but couldn't see where friends scores are to compare. Only found team/friend scores but they dont look like top Scores.

When I said only had a quick blast, that was my intention but actually I struggled to turn it of and probably played for an hour. Ok normally but not good at 2am.

addyb

Distinguished Member
Glad you got it mate. To view leaderboards select a table then go to rankings then select all time. You can then view global, friends and country leaderboards.

Think Im 10th in the country for shaman and 37th globally. Excalibur and shaman are my favourite tables. Gets better once you work out the scoring on them.

addyb

Distinguished Member
Had a look on the shop last night and came across a trailer for a mini golf game

Fun fun miniputt golf touch (I think)

Looks pretty good but no prices or release date mentioned.

addyb

Distinguished Member
Just bought a game called "10 second run" from the eshop for £1.80
Looks like its a time attack basic platformer with 50 stages and you guessed it you have 10 seconds to complete each stage. Thought it was worth a punt at that price.

Will let you know what I think later! :)

rickinyorkshire

Distinguished Member
Not really looked at the eshop. Can you buy full titles from there?

Will have a go tonight and pick up Pinball :smashin:

addyb

Distinguished Member
Not really looked at the eshop. Can you buy full titles from there?

Will have a go tonight and pick up Pinball :smashin:

No you cant pick up full titles as in ds/3ds games but it has old gameboy games available amongst plenty of dsiware titles. Zen pinball and pullblox are the best games on the store at present imo.

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
Just bought the 2 of them, can see me spending more in there too..might have to start using the wifes credit card, instead of mine.:rotfl:

Amph

Distinguished Member
Right guys, anyone with Pullblox/Pushmo, I've created a level. My first attempt so might be a bit cack. It's attached.

EDIT: Mods, hope it's ok to post things like this.

Attachments

• HNI_0031.JPG
    HNI_0031.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 74

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Tidal streaming service acquired by Twitter/Square's Jack Dorsey
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Netflix adds support for reduced theatrical release window
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Paradigm launches Founder speaker series
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 3rd March 2021