The Equalizer, Edward Woodward

DVD-Man

Distinguished Member
Hi,

Was talking about TV shows today and I remembered watching this as a kid on late night repeats on ITV probably early nineties

[youtube]uB1NiNKwueE[/youtube]

Anyway after reaccquainting myself with the titles I wondered if this would suffer from that great then-crap now syndrome?

Someone commented on youtube that this was destined for R2 DVD December this year.

Liam

KevD

Distinguished Member
Why bother watching the series agian, just wait for the big screen movie coming in a year or so (no doubt with a American twist!) :D

This was one of the highlight of my TV week as a kid, but I do fear it could suffer from the syndrome you mention which I experience far too much!

Just had a quick look on IMDB and some folks there mention it is being released in Dec on DVD, I would give it go if/when it does come out :)

Ron240

Was talking about TV shows today and I remembered watching this as a kid on late night repeats on ITV probably early nineties
I remember watching it on prime time Saturday night viewing on its first run around the mid 80's....so i guess this makes me old. :D

It was a good series at the time,sort of like an updated Callan(im just old enough to remember that,but not very well). I liked the theme tune at the time,and i believe it was composed by Stewart Copeland.

I seem to remember it was one of those shows where despite all the guns being involved,nobody ever got killed....or maybe im confusing that with The A-Team. :D

nwgarratt

Distinguished Member
It was my favourite show when I was younger. I particularly liked the character Mickey.

I would like to see it again and would get the DVD's if they were cheap. My only concern is I keep seeing Edward Woodward as the NWA guy from Hot Fuzz now on.

brian s

Distinguished Member
He wasn't Callan in this but we used to look at it as this could be Callan in his older years. They did do this in a one off Callan quite a few years after the last series. No one seems to remember it and it doesn't seem to have been repeated.

As I recall The Equalizer started off as an ultra right wing rant against legal rights for suspected criminals. The law wasn't working and the perps were back on the streets in no time to terrorise the innocents again. Hence the need for someone tough who could work outside the law. It's been a long while since I've seen it but I'm sure some people must have got killed.

They very much toned down this aspect later on taking a more liberal stance. There may have been been lots of shooting without killing during this period. Every thing here is from my memories of the original broadcasts so may not be gospel.

I never saw the episodes where Roger Moore took over for a while after Woodward's heart attack.

Ron240's correct. The music was by Stewart Copeland,

Cheers
Bri

Ron240

They did do this in a one off Callan quite a few years after the last series. No one seems to remember it and it doesn't seem to have been repeated.
I remember this...was a made for tv film. Cant remember the details of it...but i do remember him driving a white Range Rover in it,and i did think it was pretty good.

The toning down of the violence in American made tv series is very typical,and has happened with a number of them.

I havent seen The Equalizer for years,and even though i have good memories of it...i may be seeing it through rose tinted spectacles.:D

brian s

Distinguished Member
I remember this...was a made for tv film. Cant remember the details of it...but i do remember him driving a white Range Rover in it,and i did think it was pretty good.

Yeah it had a load of neat stuff in it. Lonely was a successful businessman with a younger girlfriend. When Callen readys himself for the kill he realises he can't see very well and has to put on his glasses before he can do it.

Liam sorry for taking the thread off course but Callen was a great show.

All the best
Bri

maverick177uk

Distinguished Member
Loved the show and theme music, iirc his son was played by the bad kid out of Karate Kid 1.

BD Ashby

It was a great show I loved the theme music :thumbsup:

As a kid i thought Edward Woodward was so cool :rotfl:

PoochJD

Distinguished Member
Hi,

THE EQUALIZER was absolutely awesome, and had many memorable episodes, and guest stars too. Loved the episode in which Vincent D'Onofrio (now Detective Robert Goren in LAW AND ORDER: CRIMINAL INTENT) played a mentally-challenged young man, who was being falsely set-up or accussed of a murder. Very, very impressive performance indeed! :clap:

I would love to see each of the 4 seasons released uncut and uncensored on DVD, but I can't see this happening. However, I am very, very lucky in that I do have every single one of the 88 episodes made on VHS tape from when they were broadcast uncut at a 10pm slot on the old Granada Plus channel. :D

A 3-VHS tape boxed-set did come out a few years ago, from Universal, with about 9 episodes on it, but they were a random selection, and not even the best ones.

Oh, and only Edward Woodward could make the word "bloody" sound so terrifyingly foul, in the show! Whenever he said it, it was almost profane! A classy show, that really does need to be seen again. Loved the opening titles, too. Very menacing and creepy!

And wasn't Control an evil so-and-so?! ;)

Pooch

vinvader

Play.com has got The Equalizer Series 1 DVD due for release on 25/02/2008

Unless anybody knows differently I believe the issues regarding the original music rights have all been settled now :smashin:

Can't wait I loved this show! :thumbsup:

:clap:

BillyBleach

Yep, this was another late night treat for me as a youngster. One episode that sticks in my mind is about a guy who claims to be from outerspace, kpax style. In fact its the only plotline I can remember.

BTW was his son the kid from karate kid?

Garrett

I seem to remember it was one of those shows where despite all the guns being involved,nobody ever got killed....or maybe im confusing that with The A-Team. :D
Yes you are I, I at least remember a womans neck getting snaped by a man, and I think he got his come upance by a gun.

Garrett

Was it Roger Moore that took over I seem to remeber Robert Mitchum being in some episodes and also Richard Jordan. EDIT just looked at the above link which confirms it was Robert Mitchum

As for a white Range Rover did he not drive a black Jag the one at the very end of the titles.

Ron240

As for a white Range Rover did he not drive a black Jag the one at the very end of the titles.
He did drive a Jaguar in The Equalizer,but you never read my post correctly ;)
He drove the white Range Rover in the one off Callan tv movie made in 1981,which was approx 4 years before The Equalizer started.

Garrett

He did drive a Jaguar in The Equalizer,but you never read my post correctly ;)
He drove the white Range Rover in the one off Callan tv movie made in 1981,which was approx 4 years before The Equalizer started.

:suicide:Now you can accuse me of being full of Christmas Spirit:rotfl:

By the way I seem to remember Callan being a one of in a series of Saturday night plays of the top of my head called A Magnum For Schneider or Red Book for Callan (meaning he went in a draw classed as liable enemies of the state and could be bumped off)(one could have been the name the printed book was called), think the series Public Eye came from the same set of plays. This was later made into a film after Callan the series was a success. There also were a number of Callan books out which were quite good.

Ron240

I seem to remember Callan being a one of in a series of Saturday night plays of the top of my head called A Magnum For Schnider or Red Book for Callan (meaning he went in a draw classed as liable enamys of the state)(one could have been the name the printed book was called), think the series Publi Eye came from the same set of plays. This was later made into a film after Callan the series was a sucess. There also were a number of Callan books out which were quite good.
You are correct about "A Magnum For Schneider". This was the first appearance of Callan,and was featured in the long running Armchair Theatre series.
Callan was made into a tv series later that same year.
Public Eye was on a similar theme,but pre-dated Callan by around 2 years,and starred Alfred Burke as Frank Marker. It ran for much longer than Callan.
You may be getting confused though.....Alfred Burke from Public Eye,appeared in the similarly titled but much shorter running Armchair Thriller series. :)

brian s

Distinguished Member
Was it Roger Moore that took over I seem to remeber Robert Mitchum being in some episodes and also Richard Jordan. EDIT just looked at the above link which confirms it was Robert Mitchum

When Woodward had a heart attack there was a story that Moore would replace him until he recovered. Mitchum did so instead.

All the best
Bri

Garrett

When Woodward had a heart attack there was a story that Moore would replace him until he recovered. Mitchum did so instead.

All the best
Bri

Yes I know that as it say in the link I said I clicked on.;)

Garrett

You are correct about "A Magnum For Schneider". This was the first appearance of Callan,and was featured in the long running Armchair Theatre series.
Callan was made into a tv series later that same year.
Public Eye was on a similar theme,but pre-dated Callan by around 2 years,and starred Alfred Burke as Frank Marker. It ran for much longer than Callan.
You may be getting confused though.....Alfred Burke from Public Eye,appeared in the similarly titled but much shorter running Armchair Thriller series. :)

Was going from memory rather than looking it up Armchair Thriller, Armchair Theatre same difference as I watched them from my armchair on a Saturday night?.:rotfl:

brian s

Distinguished Member
Just saw Hot Fuzz for the first time last night. Quite a lot of The Wicker Man about it and an excellent British cast includig Mr Woodward in very good form.:thumbsup:

Cheers
Bri

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

HiFi Rose announces all-in-one RS520 audio streamer
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
LG Display set to launch its own 27 and 32-inch OLED panels in 2023?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
What's new on Netflix (UK) for October 2022
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Starzplay streaming service rebrands as Lionsgate+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts