The enormous ego of James Cameron (Avatar Infinity bore)

Fillumgeek

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Screenshot 2020-07-23 at 22.46.12.png

The original Avatar movie was released so long ago I was an actual film journalist at the time and gave it a favourable review
for an actual newspaper. Avatar 2 was due in 2014! Think of that whenever you hand something in late or miss a deadline.

Of course, he has achieved so much in his highly successful career but this to me, feels like folly. Is there anyone outside of James Cameron's mind who wants 4 sequels???
Seems like he has jumped the gun, and gone into some sort of Lucasian dream state where his industry power can dictate the minds of the cinema-goer. Oddly, Avatar was hugely successful without ever feeling the love earlier blockbusters like Star Wars felt. Was it the 3D technology, riding the crest of a wave?

Now banned, the "Come Fly with Me" BBC comedy had a sketch with Matt Lucas, as a brilliantly deranged baggage handler called "Taj" who is obsessed with movies.
His favourite films are Avatar, Avatar 2,3,4,5 etc even though they haven't been made yet. I hope James Cameron didn't see that one Tequila-fuelled night and take it as gospel.

Its become a running joke to be honest. We can add another extra 2-3 years before we see Avatar 2 now also!

Avatar in my opinion is still the best 3D movie ever made. I hope we see Avatar 2 soonish before we all die from the next China Virus.

I loved the first Avatar and wanted a sequel...but now I think it’s too long and they should just leave it,

I would love to go back to Pandora with James Cameron, but I want him to bring a story with him this time. A more compelling lead character wouldn't hurt either.

However as I said on another thread, this immense roster of sequels is just too massive and too far in the future to care about. Like hearing there will be 25 new star wars films lined up for the 2040s. Meaningless until there's something tangible to care about.

Not a fan of Avatar *runs for cover* I'd watch a second one but couldn't possibly get excited over it.

I'm confident we'll never get past 3 of them!

Not a fan of Avatar *runs for cover* I'd watch a second one but couldn't possibly get excited over it.

I'm confident we'll never get past 3 of them!
This for me. ^^
Avatar was a chore to get through. Seen it maybe once or twice since cinema and it doesn’t get any better.

As I triple-dipped Avatar - DVD, then BluRay then 3D BluRay, yes I want as many sequels as possible, provided they're good, of course. His track record tends to suggest they will be.

I'm a big fan of sci-fi world-building and spectacle, and Avatar had that in spades. Also the set pieces were a reminder of Cameron's strengths as an action director.

But I sympathise with those who found it boring. It really is the most vanilla, rote, cliche and predictable screenplay ever. And all the characters were off-the-peg stereotypes. Every single one.

I'm a big fan of sci-fi world-building and spectacle, and Avatar had that in spades. Also the set pieces were a reminder of Cameron's strengths as an action director.

But I sympathise with those who found it boring. It really is the most vanilla, rote, cliche and predictable screenplay ever. And all the characters were off-the-peg stereotypes. Every single one.
The action just felt like a Cameron greatest hits montage given a CGI upgrade.

Yeah his powers have diminished somewhat. Still I did think the destruction of Hometree was spectacular.
I agree, but it takes more than a handful of nicely rendered shots to get me on board with 32 sequels.

That's pretty much it. Beautiful to look at, but once you've seen that you've seen it. Then the story really isn't upto much and warrants no further interaction.

Cant wait for all of them, and there all going to be in 3D, using latest 3D Cameras, think he wants Avatar 2 to be shown in glass free 3D as well, not sure how thou.

- Avatar 2, 3, 4, and 5 are all going to be in 3D and they will look sumptuous,"

have no time for Cameron. what he doesn't rip off is rubbish, IMO. he should bin the Avatar plans and do 4 more flying piranha films, the world's crying out for that.

Yep, this is true. I'll admit the world-building was pretty good and the 3D realisation did set the standard for the industry (which you would expect from Cameron).

It made the money of course, interesting that it never gripped popular culture like a "Star Wars" and this hasn't deterred James Cameron in the slightest :)

It's a meh from me. The 3D is stunning, the world building and action sequences were good but I couldn't have cared less about the human leads and it was basically Dances With Wolves in space. I would likely watch a second one but I don't feel remotely interested that another 4 are in the works.

It's a meh from me. The 3D is stunning, the world building and action sequences were good but I couldn't have cared less about the human leads and it was basically Dances With Wolves in space. I would likely watch a second one but I don't feel remotely interested that another 4 are in the works.
I thought it was more like Pocahontas In Space. I remember reading a post describing both plots, with the characters from one used in the other. Seemed pretty identical to me.
Edit - Similarities between Avatar and Pocahontas

I loved the first one at the time and recommended to a friend who had a "meh" reaction to it when he saw it. Another bloke in work went to see it loads of times.
I still like it but never feel too bothered to actually sit down and (re)watch it - and I'm a 3D fan (when done right). I'd rather watch Doctor Strange in 3D again I think. So no, I'm not overly excited for the Avatar sequels.. I'd rather a sequel to the superb Blade Runner 2049 or Dredd.

You know how they say buy stocks when the market is crashing? Cameron may just have lucked out here. By 2022, people might be gagging for massive 3D IMAX films like these.

Perhaps Disney will own many of the cinemas themselves, after the current chains go out of business next year.

The Avatar films might be seen a driver for the next wave of Huge screen entertainment, Cameron might put money into the cinemas themselves...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom