1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The end of the road for my wife's Marantz?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by kipper15, Feb 5, 2005.

1. kipper15

kipper15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My wife has a Marantz Arch micro system, which I bought for her about 5 or so years back. It was used in her flat, then in our bedroom as a second system after we moved in together and got married. Not the world's greatest hi-fi system by any means, but a perfectly adequate micro (albeit a bit gimmicky design-wise) and a major improvement over the total piece of junk my wife owned previously and used to call a "hi-fi" (fear not, she is now well aware of what "hi-fi" is these days!!)

However, the Marantz now playing up big time, refusing to play CDs at all. Insert any disc and as soon as the tray closes it makes the most horrendous noises and up pops "ERROR" on the display. Methinks this might be the end of the road for the system.

It only cost me £200 from Richer Sounds at the time I bought it (Marantz had discontinued it and sold the remaining ones they had through RS) and I'm begining to think that the cost of getting the thing fixed probably isn't worth it. Would I be right in thinking this could be a serious problem, such as the laser being knackered (for want of a better word)?

My current thought is to replace the Marantz with something like the DM-31 from Denon, which seems to be available for around £240 from a number of online dealers.

Am I going down the right track here or should I try and get the Marantz repaired? (I could be wrong, but I think it's beyond it).

Cheers
    Kipper

2. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    It depends. Do Marantz chrage for an estimate of the system or do they even have the parts to repaur one?

3. kipper15

kipper15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As the Arch 2.0 is a system that went out of production 6 years ago, I guess they may still have the parts...but the laser seems like it has gone, it can't read any discs. That suggests to me it's the end of the line for the system. There are comments on this and other forums about Marantz reliability (or lack of it).

Been looking at the Denon D-F101 as a suitable replacement. Sure looks nicer than the slightly (IMO) cheap looking D-M31.

4. SOUNDSTYLE

SOUNDSTYLE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Have you tried cleaning the lens?

5. kipper15

kipper15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted: