The end of SACD?

P

paiger

I see the DVD Forum have approved the manufacture of hybrid DVD-A/ CD disks. The fact that SACD could have a standard CD layer was a big ace up it's sleeve IMHO and now DVD-A has the same, the weight has to be behind it.

Warner can produce these as standard CD's and nobody will know the difference except that they will also have hi-res multi channel audio and possibly video on there too.

I can see the momentum has definately swung behind DVD-A recently which is a shame as I have quite a few SACD disks, not that many that it would hurt to replace though. I guess we may see a clear winner in the next 12 months. It's a shame because there's lots of stuff I'd like to buy on both formats but I refuse to dig myself into either camp any deeper.

If Warner run with the hybrid idea, and the major labels continue to shift towards DVD-A then it looks like the winner.

It's strange really. I was talking to somebody the other day and he was telling me that Sony refused to let anyone make Betamax transports, while JVC did, allowing VHS to win easilly. I believe that Sony are doing a similar thing with SACD now. Will they ever learn? Correct me if I'm wrong on that last bit, it was a general conversation.

Steve

DVD-A was/is always going to be the winner.Easier to market.DVD is in the public consciousness as the `new thing`.It won`t matter a jot which one is technically superior.
All IMHO of course.

You`re right,one of the biggest reasons vhs won was that the technology was licensed to many manufacturers while sony tried to keep betamax to itself to control the market.

I wouldn't have said DVD-A was looking like a winner 6 months ago but that was only because Warner were doing such an appalling job of pushing it.

Let's face it, there is still a huge lack of material for both formats. I can see DVD-A heading mainstream. I just wonder if Sony will keep making SACD as a high-end niche classical product as it seems to be pointed in that direction.

Let's hope it gets sorted out either way soon so I can go out and invest in a good player (Arcam DV27 if it's DVD-A). For the moment I'm looking at a Pioneer 757 as a stop-gap.

S

You're right, technical superiority has little, if anything to do with commercial success.

The VHS/Beta thing was more complex than you suggest. Firstly, there was a tremendous rivalry (almost a hatred) between Sony and Matsu****a (Panasonic/Technics) to which JVC was affiliated. Also at that time Sony dominated the market for professional broadcast equipment. It was realised by JVC & Matsu****a that a rival (to Beta) would provide greater opportunity for market domination-- hence an aggressive licenseing policy from the off-- not just of hardware but more importantly software. Beta was licensed Toshiba (who I believe produced their own mechanisms...) Sanyo and General--plus a few others I cannot recall.

What amazes me, is how manufacturers cannot learn from their own mistakes ie nearly having two DVD formats, the DVD-R mess and the confusion over HD-DVD.

Whilst I don't support one high resolution format over another, it would be great shame if the SACD format disapears.

Yummy Fur

PS. Dear auto censor-- I am not swearing-- that's how the word is spelt ! :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Yummy Fur
Matsu****a (Panasonic/Technics)

...almost as good as Scvnthorpe :)

EMI have recently agreed to release several high profile titles in SACD format rather than DVD-Audio.
Sony are funding the mastering and so on.
Dark Side Of The Moon by Pink Floyd :( is one such, according to

www.audiorevolution.com

The format battle has plenty way to go yet, but the hybrid theory is a good one.

gringottsdirect said

The format battle has plenty way to go yet, but the hybrid theory is a good one

Agreed, and of course with double sided/ dual layer discs-- A CD, DVD A & SACD version would be nice-- but of course will never happen!

Yummy Fur

All so true,and so reminiscent of all the audio format battles gone before.....the problem as always is that the consumer either waits for the format war to die down( and lose out in time terms)or buy now and lose out when only one format is left.

The other really irritating thing is all the copy protection formats in operation,or being tested(remember Cactus data Shield and what it did to Macs and PC's)...many of these are quite audible in their effects on protected CD's and now we also have the DVD copy protection hack lawsuit in progress.
As a result,we have only 2 DVD players(that I know of)that will output DVD-audio digital data,but even then only in encrypted form via Firewire or similar....how many of us have that sort of interface on our AV systems even now.

The end of SACD....the hardware is still selling

Getting hold of software is the problem:mad:

Retronana said-

The end of SACD....the hardware is still selling

It would be interesting to know how many of those with SACD players, actually realise what SACD is. I suspect the vast majority of those with SACD machines believe they have purchased either a DVD and/or a CD player that just happens to have a SACD 'facility'........

Yummy Fur

I'm now convinced that DVD-A has the best chance. I've just bought a Pioneer 656 to replave my Sony 700. Means I can still play my SACD disks and get involved in DVD-A. I'm hoping a really good DVD-A/SACD player will come out and Lexicon have just anounced the RT-10 so I'll be checking that out. Once I have a reference quality player, I will happily invest more in these formats.

Quite keen to get the Natalie Merchant DVD-A that has come out, also Steely Dan and Metallica.

If anything, DVD-A has more of my kind of music behind it.

S

Great Links:D

Thanks....

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom