the end of movie blockbusters

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by oxygenuk, Mar 7, 2006.

1. oxygenuk

oxygenuk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    couldnt agree with lucas more, IMO in about 10 years onwards the movie business could be as **** as the music business nowadays compared to how great the music business used to be like 2 decades ago etc, if you know what im saying ;)

click the link for the article http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds29965.html

2. west

west

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you really think so?

I don't. I think the Blockbuster will outlive us all although the format may change with developments in technology.

My opinion is that the Blockbuster movie shouldn't be so general in its appeal to the audience. They should try to aim for a certain audience rather than trying to broaden the audience and not really appeal to anyone. hopefully Hollywood will learn that if you don't make a decent movie then people aren't going to watch it and they are going to lose money.

Hollywood could also learn to market films better and the perfect example of this is Joss Whedon's Serenity. Arguably one of the best action/sci-fi movies of last year, most of the critics loved it, the fans loved it and even those not familiar with Firefly loved it. Potentially it could have been a massive hit but wasn't because of their poor marketing strategy.

3. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +346
    YES I totally agree.

Lets actually have proper action films as well. I dont mean movies that have been white washed and bleached down to a 12A cert I mean proper 18 rated blood and guts action movies. Die hard and its sequels did fantastic box office, as did some of Arnies and Stallons big budget action fests. EVery thing now is pointed towards a broader audince and that is why so many films fail. You cant please all of the poeple all of the time, so lets have particular genres of films actually geared towards that genres fans. :)

4. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +709
    I don't think a lack of marketing was wholly to blame for Serenity's relatively poor box office (just about made its costs back world-wide $60m, DVD sales will be bunts on top). Some films just take off, some don't. If they knew the whys and wherefores they'd do it every time.

For the record I thought Serenity and Firefly were exceptionally good and really did deserve more. I'd love to see a sequel but sadly it just ain't gonna happen.

Regards

Mark

5. rmoxon

rmoxon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Despite really great dvd sales Firefly still seems to be a pretty unknown series to a lot of people, hell on this board just the other day someone mentioned he saw Serenity and still didn't know it was based on a TV show. Joss Whedons name will also put as many people off as it will captivate them as both Buffy and Angel are shows you either love or hate. Also a Sc-Fi Western is a tough sell, add to that a low budget and a cast unknown to anyone who hasn't seen the show and you don't really have many marketing options left. And thats why it failed to get the attention it deserved saddly.

However, I wouldn't take any notice of Lucas, a Blockbuster dosen't need to cost 300 million dollars, and for all the money he had he failed to do anything remotley good with the Star Wars prequels. He's probabaly just upset becuase right now people seem more intrested in movies that feature good acting and good stories, two things that he personally seems to care very little for.

The man sounds like a whiny little spoilt brat whos last 115 million dollar movie only made 400 mil, when he really wanted to make 500.

6. Nebby

Nebby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Here's an idea, George: instead of presenting the movie going public with crap like Episodes 1, 2 and 3, maybe you could spend a little bit more time and effort on things like script, direction, character development and plot. You know, the bits that made the Lord of the Rings trilogy good...and sucessful at the box-office too. Just an idea.

7. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,241
    Maybe George would have made a better job of the prequels if he'd been limited to 15million a film instead of each scene.