The end of Halo

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by The News Bot, Aug 4, 2006.

1. The News Bot

The News Bot
    News Supplying Robot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +446
  2. Downinja

Downinja

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    When I hear it from Bungie, I will believe it, until then it's just a rumour.

3. ParmMann

ParmMann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    It wouldn't suprise me. At the end of the Halo 3 trailer it does say 'Finish the Fight'. Finish being the key word.

What a corker of a trailer it is too. :thumbsup:

4. Windtalker

Windtalker
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    long live the chief :clap:

5. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    I find it hard to believe they'd end the franchise at number 3. Time will tell...

6. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    Thank god for that.

Mediocre series imo just surrounded with hype from 13-15 yr old kids mainly. Not saying bungie are not a good developer ending halo will probably be a good thing for them creatively but sadly they will always be followed by the halo fanboys comparing any other game they make to the halo series :rolleyes:

oh edit : wait for the cries of your crap at the game thats why you dont like it that usually comes my way.

7. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,473
    :eek: Very harsh indeed to call the Halo series mediocre IMHO. I bought into the universe it created completely and found the story compelling, the action relentless and the style imaginative. It's quite possible I'm just a 13 year old residing in a 30 year old's body, but I'm even looking forward to the film next year, and I hate films of videogames.

And you're crap at it Kopite ;)

8. Soundwave

Soundwave
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,488
    I wouldnt say it's harsh to call it mediorce I could found a lot more words that were far worse than that...it is IMO quite possibly THE worst FPS I have ever played & one series I wont be sorry to see the back of.

I hated it cant beleive how hyped it was only to be sorely let down.

Sure it looked pretty but by god it was pants, Metroid Prime nocked it into a cocked hat but that was so widely overlooked it was criminal.

Good ridance to a terrible series, oh & for the record I was pants at it too.

Neil

9. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    Again its opinions but i thought Halo 1 was a good game nice vast open area with variation in game play, Halo 2 was nothing more than a corridor shooter. Even my 12 yr old cousin who played co-op with me on both games thought the same as well :rolleyes:

When you really really look at the multiplayer its just bog standard at best. The matchmaking side and the implementation is the best on any console no doubting that but its just a bog standard FPS IMO that follows the norm.

Again this is just my opinion on things be happy to tell me why its so compeling as i see nothing in it. Story ? Pah if you want story MGS is were its at :devil:

10. usagi13

usagi13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    MGS does offer a more involving story line but to be honest I dont and never have had the attention span to take it all in and figure out what was going on. Top game though....

I doubt Halo 3 will be the last in the series as its worth to much to Microsoft and Bungie.
    Would the X-Box have had the success it has enjoyed without Halo????

11. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    I thought Halo was superb (especially in co-op), Halo 2 was a bit of a disappointment though - seems like they spent more time on the MP part of the game than the SP.

12. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,473
    Oh, I know, it's all opinions, it's just mine happen to be right, that's all :devil: ;)

I could never get into the MGS story like I did with Halo, so much so I still haven't bought MGS3 yet. Don't get me wrong, it was obviously well thought out, but I couldn't take the overtly cartoon universe that MGS painted (and from this POV MGS4 looks like it's taking a step in the right direction). It just didn't draw me in like Half Life 2 or Halo did.

On the other hand, I am a bit of a sci-fi fan at times, and I have a real soft spot for the Alien series of films. Halo's obvious leaning towards that atmosphere and more realistic claustrophobia in space feel just hooked me right from the start. While I know some of the weapons have cartoon leanings (such as the needler and it's pink exploding ammunition), it fitted the imagery of the Covenant and works really well from a gameplay POV too.

There were gameplay elements I'd not experienced before that happened to me in Halo, the game was so polished with immaculate attention to detail and a well crafted story that it deserved every accolade that came it's way. Not perhaps the best game of all time, but certainly the best of the PS2/Xbox/Gamecube era IMHO.

SP Halo 2 was obviously not the main priority and didn't live up to the high standards of it's predecessor, but it was still enjoyable in it's own right for me, but then I just wanted to see how the story unfolded after reading the novels (which tell the story before Halo 1 and in between 1 & 2).

The scope for how the series will end with Halo 3 and the movie is something I'm really looking forward to seeing... (if you couldn't tell already!) :smashin:

13. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,186
    Halo1 was a very good fps game, i think i HAD to be a good game to get the masses to buy an xbox. Halo2 on the otherhand was not really fit to lace the boots of Halo1 in the solo player regard, but its the multiplayer live game that all the attention was put into, which helped more people sign up to xbox live. So whats the hidden plan for Halo3, i think it'll be both it'll have a good solo player so poeple will want to buy a 360 and a good online multiplayer for more people to sign up to Live Gold

14. usagi13

usagi13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I didnt think that the single player on Halo 2 was that bad!

I still favour Halo though in alot of ways. I can still remember when I first played it and crash landed on the Halo. I crossed the little bridge and looked up at the Halo ring just as the drop ship passed over head. It gave the game an incredible feel of spaciousness that I have never managed to get from anything else I have played.

15. Dave

Dave
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,401
    The Halo story arc will end with Halo 3 and Bungie have stated this on their website. Link. http://www.bungie.net/Games/Halo3/content.aspx?link=Halo3AnnounceFAQ

IMHO Halo and Halo 2 are amongst the finest games made ever. No other fps has captured me like Halo except maybe half life on the pc.

As others have said about Halo 2, it's the live element that just keeps me coming back for more. The balance of weapons is superb, the ease of getting in to a game, ditto.

I know everyone has different tastes but I really don't understand why people seem to dismiss the series so easily. I've gone through about 8 different 360 titles and none of them can beat Halo 2 for multiplayer, I still play it nearly every day and no game I have owned ever has even come close to being played that much for nearly 2 years.

The movie should be absolutely superb too. Peter Jackson producing it and that means weta studios doing all the cgi and weapon models, vehicles. It should be incredible.

16. Dave

Dave
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,401
    Are we talking about the same game?:eek:

The worst fps ever!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

Horses for courses I suppose but surely it's not the worst one. Did you really not like it that much?

17. Soundwave

Soundwave
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,488
    Yes I did, I actually despise it with every fibre of my body & have a deep seated hatred for it.

But then it's not just that one but more or less EVERY FPS on a console gets my goat, they all suck bum it's just that this one sucked worse than ANY of the others.

I dont know why I hated it so much I just did...the controls were pants, the story dire, the marines that were clearly copied from Doom, the game world, the vehicles ARRRRGGGHHHHHH in fact just talking about it makes my blood boil, seriously that is my contender for worst game & series EVER period.

Now I'm off for a lie down to calm down a bit

Neil

18. Dave

Dave
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,401
    :rotfl: Fair enough.:D

19. CAS FAN

CAS FAN
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,371
    My Halo experiences are very similar to Kopites. Halo 1 is a great game with varied levels and a great story. Halo 2 is an OK game with an above average 1 player and a good multiplayer. It's a well made game though and I can see why people like it I guess. For me - Halo (9.4/10), Halo 2 (8.2/10).

I always thought that Halo was supposed to be a trilogy :D as that was why Part 2 has such a pants ending (i.e. it's continued in the final part).

If they get back to the form of the first Halo and use the power of the 360 to have some larger open air battles with loads of vehicles then it could be a quality game. They need to bring something new to the battle as well and by that I don't just mean a couple of new weapons :boring:. They need to move the genre forward so that we don't just feel like we're playing Halo with nicer graphics.

If they get Halo 3 right then the Halo Trilogy will be remembered a a great trilogy and part 2 will then just be part of a great story. If they get it wrong then it will just be a couple of average sequels after a classic first chapter.

20. Dave

Dave
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,401
    Bungie have stated that they are aiming for a "Return Of The King" style finale for the trilogy. TBH I can't see it being anything less because if anyone was around on the Bungie forums when Halo 2 was released and still even now, there was a massive backlash from the fans about some of the more dissapointing aspects of Halo 2.

Bungie and the Halo franchise is one of the jewels in microsofts crown and from a business perspective it is essential in taking sales from sony and the forthcoming PS3. Personally I hope the PS3 is jaw dropping when it's released as that just makes it more imperative for Bungie to deliver 100% with Halo 3.

I really can't wait, it may be the first 360 game that stops me playing Halo 2 on live like some sort of nerd.:D

21. CAS FAN

CAS FAN
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,371
    Indeed, that's what I was meaning - i.e. that they had actually anounced this a while ago. Not sure why it's just become news now.

I am personally looking forward to Halo 3 (even after the lacklustre Halo 2) and just hope that they can do it justice.

22. Dave

Dave
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,401
    I thought it was strange that this came up on the news feed when Bungie announced it a couple of months ago.:confused:

Oh well, roll on next year. :smashin:

23. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    What worse than ET? :D

24. RandomLee

RandomLee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,948
    I enjoyed Halo to an extent but I was never blown away by it and when 2 arrived I only rented it from Blockbuster. Good games but very much overhyped. To be honest I just wasnt into the setting or the story.

IMO give me the Half Life series any day... or FEAR, or Far Cry, or Condemned. Grown ups FPS :devil:

I hope 3 does well though.

25. Soundwave

Soundwave
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,488
    Cant say I played it so cant really comment on that one but it's possibly not the worst ever then just pretty damn close ;) lol

Neil

26. Pebb

Pebb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +829
    I reckon Halo 3, would be a good number to end Halo at?