The end of cheap MS OEM software

fraggle

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Just found this page when googling for what exactly "qualifying hardware" is

http://blogs.msdn.com/mssmallbiz/archive/2005/09/07/461950.aspx

Basically says that the only way they are allowed to sell OEM software is pre-installed on a brand new full system (from Sept 1st)

I know its still for sale now, I assume MS will be working through its official OEM partners and getting them to agree to the new OEM contract, and then that'll be it.

Buy now before its too late!

(unless the whole things a fake, on an official MS URL...?)

And they wonder why folks end up copying their stuff.
I'm using 98se ( fully legal by the way) and am considering upgrading to XP but now I'm beginning to think its not worth the hassle or expense right now as the new Windows Vista looks like being the most secure and stable platform to date and its due the sometime in the middle of next year. Then again I'm wondering if being a first adopter of a new MS operation system is wise given all the hassle XP caused when it was first released :confused:

I don't have a problem with this as long as they drop the price of the non-oem to current oem levels.
I doubt this will happen.

I see a lot of new linux users and a lot more pirate copies of windows.

The more they squeeze the less they get.

I really can't see them dropping prices.

I was having an argument about the difference between the OEM price and the full retail price with one of the big headed "MSCP"s in an MS newsgroup. He was claiming the difference is the support that MS offer justify selling XP Pro for £250 as opposed to £90 OEM.

And for that £160 you get TWO free support calls. Woo. Hoo.

Anything more than that and you've got to pay, or ask in their newsgroups.

Another thing he was trying to say is that MCE is only available as OEM because its so difficult to set it up properly with the correct hardware.

Err, hello? How old is this kid? 8? Obviously forgotten Windows 3.1 and 95 and how difficult those were to get working reliably (ok, no one EVER got them working reliably, we just learned to live with rebooting the machine every couple of hours)

I'm just waiting for someone to extract the "MCE" components from Win XP MCE and add them to a normal XP Pro. Won't take too long I bet.

Yes, you're right, the more they squeeze the less they get, and the more problematic it is for legit users to carry on using and updating their OSs.

XP is one of the most invasive pieces of software I have seen for a long time. It takes me several hours to adjust the install to make it secure and controllable (and I have a lot of software/IT experience). Unless you can handle it best bet is to avoid it IMV.
Trouble is the average user has no chance.
Micros**t placing this for future revenues, expect further restrictions on updates and such to come after this.
If you want an interesting read look around for indpendent analysis of M/S revenue/income. the amount/fraction that comes from software sales of new licenses may surprise you.

Linux should get a huge boost from this. A well packged distro that gives multmedia, office and internet and that can be maintained by point and click and not need 'ini' stuff could sell like hot cakes.
Just need to get an manufacturer who will supply the boxes with it preinstalled.. Loveno maybe....
or a Chinese distro that play their version of HD.. that would be fun...

The real large scale pirates will be rubbing their hands over this - but Micros**t haven't been able to curb them anyway.

I can see the macmini getting some attention now as a alternative platform for htpc use.

They're having a laugh aren't they ? Are you telling me that if I build a computer now and run XP Pro and then want to buy Vista next year, I would need to buy another comuter ?

Steve.J.Davies said:
Linux should get a huge boost from this. A well packged distro that gives multmedia, office and internet and that can be maintained by point and click and not need 'ini' stuff could sell like hot cakes.

Problem is, and I'm a long term Linux user and fan, that there is no distro out there that offers even a remote resemblence to media center at the moment. A convoluted MythTV setup may offer some functions but as a package there is nothing. I'd like nothing more than to see an open source effort to effectively clone media center and run it on Linux.

Baloo said:
Problem is, and I'm a long term Linux user and fan, that there is no distro out there that offers even a remote resemblence to media center at the moment. A convoluted MythTV setup may offer some functions but as a package there is nothing.

Well they'll have to pull their socks up then!

richjthorpe said:
Are you telling me that if I build a computer now and run XP Pro and then want to buy Vista next year, I would need to buy another comuter ?

Nope you'll need to buy a retail license at 300quid instead of buying a 10gb hard drive and an oem license for 90quid.

So, for those holding out for Vista, which version are you going to buy? You're spolit for choice with its 20 variants...

agree with the Linux distro comments (am also a long timeuser). But M/S just opened up the market for one ! That or a Chinese written operating system that does the job...
they have the cash to go for it thats for sure, especially as they will not be paying horrendous DVD license fees to support their DVD player manufacturing business and their own format HD. (which may mean a much shorter supply og chep far east players for western DVDs in a year or two...).
interesting times.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom