1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The end is nigh?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Boris Blank, Aug 29, 2003.

1. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    A Barco 808s with near perfect tubes (2261 hours) and a flight case just sold on ebay for £1120!! This as folks will know is a staggeringly low price for a superb crt :eek: .

Lately it seems that crt prices on ebay have fallen considerably and indeed, projectors that even 6 months ago would have had bidders fighting to buy them are remaining unsold.

Is the end nigh for crt's? Nah, not yet, theres life in the old dog yet. I think the advent of the HD2 chips plus the high quality of low priced digital projectors have certainly made a dent in the sales and the desirability of crt's but I think they will be around for quite a while yet.

Still £1120 for an 808 is an amazing buy. It will be interesting to see if the market continues this way or picks up - I suspect we may very well have seen the high water mark and its all downhill from here on in slowly but surely, we'll see.

NEC XG 135LC for £1000 anyone :smoke: ?
    Paul

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I noticed this too..... i would have gone for it had i not spent all my money already! There were a couple fo others as well that werent getting much attention. I thing the interest is dropping somewhat...... but i also think that summer is a very very bad time to try selling so i think thats most likely the reason for such a low price.

Ad

3. Jackass

Jackass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +613
    Can I have first shout then! :smashin:

Steve.

4. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    LOL, you'll have to get in the queue, its 3 miles long and growing!
    Paul

5. cosaw

cosaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    So was this CRT on ebay.co.uk or ebay.com? Would you guys only buy from .co.uk? I know there'd be shipping charges involved from the states from .com. Will most models work on the different electricity supplies or does a mod need to be done?

cosaw

6. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    it was on the uk site..... alongside a nec 6pg from the same seller

ad

7. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now if only I could get a Sony G70 for that!

8. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Cosaw,
    Barco's have a universal power supply so they are safe to buy from the US.

However, I had a US model NEC XG that I sourced locally in the UK and it worked perfectly with a voltage convertor.
    Some pj's can be converted over with a few mods if you know what you are doing and what needs to be done.

For Ebay.com, as long as you buy from a "safe" seller (Curt Palme, Hammerhead Tech, Quatro to name but a few) you can be sure you are getting what you are paying for. They all safely ship pj's the world over.

For buying in the UK, I would have no problems buying off ebay as long as I knew the seller or could see/demo the pj in the flesh before buying.

A simple rule of thumb for buying projectors is a) it works ok and b) tubes are "clean", i.e no burn-in.

Simple precautions will save a LOT of hassle.

Jenz,
    That will be you in the queue ahead of me then :D
    Paul

9. garyc

garyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Apologies for cutting in on your thread, but I was wondering if one of you barco guys could give me a little run down on models and approx. 2nd hand prices for barco proj's?

cheers

10. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    The end is by no means nigh. Ebay is not a good barameter of the CRT market as it tends to be frequented by people just looking for a bargin as this projector proved.

Prices have fallen in the last two years due mainly to a better availability of seconhand coming on the market. However you have to know what you are looking for or you could get caught out.

11. cosaw

cosaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    PaulB, cheers for the advice on buying off ebay and power requirements of projectors. Just got to do some more research, scrape some penies together possibly get a biger house but I'm certainly looking forward to my CRT pj.

cosaw

12. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    The switch over from 110 to 240 is not automatic, fuses and jumpers have to be reset.
    Pretty cool noise happens if you forget.

13. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would like to see g90's and cine 9 drop to a lower level then crt will go on for years.

"Once" tube prices drop, so will pj's and that is happening now.

Do not get me wrong I loved every one of my crt's, but they will be overtaken one day.

Shame they are so WAF - not

14. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    I think thats the main downer for some folks, the things are just too big to have in anything other than a dedicated room. Sure, some fella's have them in the living room but thats when the WAF kicks in (or not as the case may be).

Noticed that there seems to be a real problem obtaing tubes for NEC XG's these days. The source is clearly drying up (and has been for a good few months). The guys in the US are being forced to use rebuilds that may or may not be of equal quality.

Roland - sorry, I understood that Barco's were virtually plug and play as far as power was concerned. I stand (or sit) corrected.

For Coslaw (and others) - here's a link to whats needs to be done: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=256387&highlight=barco+voltage although a bit more homework is required for those who wish to go down this route but we're not talking brain surgery. Usual caveats apply (BE CAREFUL, make sure you understand what you are doing before doing it etc,etc).

Voltage convertors can be bought for about £80 and may be a viable (safer) option for anyone contemplating importing a Barco or any other US spec pj.
    Paul

15. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    It is very simple to do just messy if your forget.
    Setting up for a cedia show during the launch of the Cine series I was with the Principle engineer from Barco UK, the Product manager from Belgium, one of the design engeers from belgium and the Runco installer from USA. We were all chating away and not one of us thought to check the voltage settings. BANG.
    We had it up and running in an hour though.
    The proceedure is very clear in the manual, my point is just to check before you plug an imported machine into the socket.
    I'll happily talk someone through how to do it.
    Better still buy a projector from the UK.

16. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think Roland is an example of why crt is slowing down..... or rather the lack of his like! There are so few people who can actually deal with a crt that they just seem less and less attractive. Im never one to shy away from doing something myself, but crt is one of those things im fairly sure needs a pro to make it worthwhile.

Ad

17. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Agreed, a monkey could point a modern DLP in the direction of a 1.0 gain screen and produce a reasonable image out of the box. Doing the same thing with CRT will leave most feeling very non-plussed. Of course, get a professional to arrange a shootout between a DLP and a CRT (oh, hang on a minute, Gordon is going to do that :D ) and CRT should have the edge. It's going to be interesting.

For the record, I am the single unluckiest individual on the planet. I see screen door on LCDs, Rainbow on 1 Chip DLPs, get headaches from the dithering on 3 Chippers, and in bright scenes I see 'scanning' from CRTs at anything below 85Hz. My life sucks...:devil: