1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The end is nigh – for Buffy that is

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Ian Cox, Jun 11, 2003.

1. Ian Cox

Ian Cox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After seven series, 140 odd episodes and some of the best TV to hit our screens in the past 10 years Buffy the Vampire Slayer finishes tomorrow night on Sky. I have been a big fan of the series right from the beginning and it has probably been my favourite TV show of all time, so tomorrow night will be like saying goodbye to an old friend. I just hope JW gives it the send of it fully deserves and I am sure it will be a bit of an emotional night. :(

So how will the rest of you Buffy fans be spending tomorrow night, I know there were a few farewell parties in the States when it aired a couple of weeks ago. For me it will be a couple of beers, lots of munchies, the amp turned up loud and then just sit back and enjoy – can’t wait. :D

2. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not having Sky I'm going to have to wait until Friday to see it, but it will definitely be a sad day. Still if its anything like last weeks its bound to be fantastic.
    I remember seeing a trailer for the first season on BBC2 and thinking "hang on didn't that used to be a crap vampire film?"

Can't believe Sky are bumping Angel this week in favour of a Buffy documentary this week tho, it throws it even more out of kilter.

3. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Watched the last episode a few weeks ago and I have to say it was a pretty weird feeling. Kind of the end of an era. Deffinately my favourite show of all time, and some of the best writting full stop. I'd always laughed at trekys and even thought the starwars obssesed were a bit sad, but I have to admit buffy has been an obsession for me, and I'm sure my dvd's will be played to death in the years to come.

Oh well at least there is still angel...every cloud!

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    Champagne for me and Melanie.....I am already feeling pretty sad about it all

Gordon

5. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    I'll be sitting watching it and I'll have be having a good cry :(

6. TheBigApple

TheBigApple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Having seen the last episode all I will say is don't hype it up too much in your mind and you'll probably enjoy it.

Still sad to see it end as this was one of the few shows I never missed.

7. daftmole

daftmole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +386
    I'm looking forward to seeing how this excellent season finishes, but gutted that this is the last episode ever!! It does feel like the end of an era!!!

Like ferris57 my Buffy dvds are already played to death, I lost count of the amout of times I've watched some of the earlier seasons - still excellent today - how many other series can say that?

8. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I know what you mean. I only finished watching seasons 1-6 again the other week and I'm already thinking of watching them again ;)

if I start now I should have watched them just in time to finish off by watching the newly released season 7 ;).....I'm relieved there's not going to be another season, there's not enough hours in the day!!!

9. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,095
    It has been my favourite TV show of all time aswell.

I can remember counting down the minutes, hours and days like a crazy person after the 2nd season finale waiting for the new third season.

Part of me is glad it is finishing on a high and also it makes me think of another of my (used to be) favourite TV programmes, The X-Files. That carried on far too long and lost its quality and finally got dropped.

Hopefully some of the Buffy cast might be appearing in Angel so all is not lost. Maybe one might even be a regular aswell. Although I am just guessing.

Greg

10. daftmole

daftmole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +386
    At least we have the excellent Angel to help soften the blow, and like Greg said, hopefully a few residents of Sunnydale may make it to LA!!

11. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    you all have serious serious issues lol and EVERYONE knows the simpsons is the best prog to hit are screens in the last decade :D

12. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Man that was a big let down!

13. Ian Cox

Ian Cox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought it was an excellent end to the series - top stuff :smashin:

14. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4

Of course. I think exactly the same.

The end of the show just fitted in with the entire 'idea' of why the show was created. Brilliant ending to one of the best shows of all time IMO

15. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,027
    It was a shame that the gave away in the trailer what happened to, well let just say the person who shone most in this last episode.
    Think it leaves thing open for some characters if there is an other series with an other character.

16. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I just think it went out on wimper. After 7 years they could have done more to bring it to a close. Things that happened had no impact (for me anyway).

17. Ian Cox

Ian Cox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just thought that the main themes running through the show, love, friendship and being alone were really brought out brilliantly in the final episode and I think they got it spot on. Buffy has never really been about the monsters but the monsters inside the main characters which is why I am glad the 1st did not take centre stage because it would of gone against all the beliefs of the show. Sad to see the show end but I am glad it went out on top unlike a lot of other American shows.

18. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yeah, it could easily be as much a beggining as it was an end, and I'm pretty sure that's how it was meant to be.

19. daftmole

daftmole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +386
    Totally agree with ferris57 again!! Really enjoyed it, a very open ended but at the same time satisfying ending for a consistently excellent show, although my girlfriend was dissapointed - can't please everybody!!!

20. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Open ended for me ment cop out. Have the guts to finish something for sure. some of the reactions to certain things were muted to say the least (you know what i mean).

21. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Great Minds ;)

I don't think personally that the series has ever been as enjoyable as it was up too and including season 5. But that's not to say that I didn't like 6+7. I still think they were excellent (in fact both seasons had some of my favourite episodes) and were a good arc leading to the end of the show as a whole. They wrapped things up pretty well and alowed it to come full circle.

The darker Season 6 and 7 to some extent, were needed or the show would have seemed stagnant.

You read my mind! I was typing this as you posted.

My only real critisism of the very last episode is...

**spoiler***

The way in which anya's charachter was dealt with. Anya was probably my favourite member of the scoobies and the way in which her death was almost a side note and subsequently the way in which it was dealt with was dissapointing. I mean, every time buffy dies xander has a breakdown. The love of his life dies and he's like "thats my girl!". It was as though it was scribbled in at the last minute with little thought or care by the writters.

It's also a pitty she died because I think she would have made the best addition to angel out of all the charachters. Particlarly with cordelia taking a break from the show. In the same way as she took over cordelias role in buffy I think she would have given angel an excellent touch of comedy and light relief! Anya in the bunny suit or wearing a dress, clunky shoes and clutching a baseball bat are two of the funniest images from buffy ever!

Oh o.k, and the appearence of angel was a case of giving in to the fans. If he was to be part of it he should have been a proper part of it, with maybe oz making an appearance for the final battle as well. But a crappy, soppy 2 minute cameo was just cheesy and out of place. Either in or out ;)

22. Ian Cox

Ian Cox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Even though I loved the last episode and thought it ended just right my girlfriend was also dissapointed, she though the end was a bit lame. A girl thing I guess

23. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't wait to see this tonight!!

24. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,027
    Spoilers in the missing bits

Did I miss something in Angel or is it to come but that medallion where did it come from.

I think they got rid of the other good character Spike. The only thing is, did they sacrifice him in such a was as to be able to bring him back in his own series. It looked as though his soul would be redeemed. The only trouble it would mean 2 vampire lead series which I cannot see happening.

Ferris57 I though they threw the character away like a discarded doll. I was hoping Buffy was going to find her and she was not really dead, with her not being totally human or whatever.

25. Ian Cox

Ian Cox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Spoilers

[COLOR=F4F4FF]
    Apparently that amulet is found in the last episode of angel so you have not missed anything yet, a bit confusing I know but thats Sky for you.[/COLOR]

26. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm not a bird Ian and i thought it was lame. The first half was dull, the last one should have been 2hrs because when the final battle come it was not the 'mother of battles' which is what we deserved after years of loyal watching. I really think all the birds(slayers) in the last few weeks were a really bad idea to. Judging by thursday night's show i think it had run it's course.

27. Ian Cox

Ian Cox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sean

I know you are not a bird and my comment earlier was not directed at you in anyway, sorry if you thought it was.

I know some people were expecting the mother of all battles and because it did not happen there is obviously going to be dissapointment but for me because it focused more on the 4 central characters I thought that was the right way to end it.

28. Urotsukidoji

Urotsukidoji

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It felt rushed to me, which is poor considering they spent almost the entire season on the First.
    What happened to the nornal Scooble stand alone episodes that made first 5 seasons so great?
    It was not really worth having Angel return (what was it, 10 mins worth). A few months ago it took buffy ages to kill the uber vamp - he was very tough. But it seems when you are faced with thousands of them and about 20 newbie slayers, you have nothing to worry about. And what was the Firsts master plan? Unleash those uber vamps? That was it?? May as well of nuked sunnydale.
    As a season finale I think every other season except the dire season 6 beat it in every respect.
    IMHO this show died after buffy defeated a God and died.

29. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I now you never mate;)

It was the 4 central characters made the show for me to. I just think they deserved more . The way a certain person reacted to something was against the make-up of that character.

30. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    **Spoiler**

Yeah, he get's given it in angel. Btw, the angel final is awesome, really looking forward to the next season.

As for spike, he has signed a contract and is deff on angel next season. There is an alledged script floating about claiming to be the first episode of angel and the way in which spike is brought back is fantastic. But it turns out joss himself is writting the first episode of the upcomming angel which pretty much means that the rumours and script are fake.