The election result werent the only good news

la gran siete

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Avivas vote was good news too
Aviva rocked by shareholder rebellion over executive pay | Business | The Guardian
"Five major companies endured shareholder revolts over pay on Thursday – including insurer Aviva, which had its remuneration report voted down – in the latest sign that investors are taking a tough stance over underperforming companies.

Aviva's chief executive, Andrew Moss, faced repeated calls to step down after 54% of shareholders voted against its remuneration policies, making the insurer only the fourth FTSE 100 company – after Royal Bank of Scotland, Shell and GlaxoSmithKline – to have its pay rejected in the 10 years since a vote was introduced. A hoarse-sounding Moss suffered a 10% vote against his re-election as a director, and several private shareholders bluntly called for him to go along with the outgoing chairman, Colin Sharman."

Oh dear, is no-one biting :D

Hopefully this means more support for legistlation where shareholder votes will be binding.
Does this count as a small nibble?

"The election result werent the only good news..."

They certainly weren't,

Our Ladies Hockey team beat the Argentinian World Champions 3:0 in the Olympic warm up hockey yesterday.

Well done Ladies :clap:

Last edited:
Hopefully this means more support for legistlation where shareholder votes will be binding.
Does this count as a small nibble?

You are allowed to nibble... You are a WN sorry 'troll' slayer after all:devil:

"The election result werent the only good news..."

The sun shone enough yesterday to warrant getting the barbecue out for the first time this year

Best News yet... :)

Did it stay out?

Nearly mowed the lawn but it started raining just as I got everything ready.

And apparently thanks to the election, the exchange rate moved in the right direction, which is good for me.
Bad for all the rest of you in the UK, as it makes UK exports that much more expensive, but, well tough.
(Actually that would be relevant only if the UK actually exported anything of substance, rather than just importing stuff. So as a major importer of EuroZone stuff, I suppose you can argue its good for you too. A win win situation.:clap: )

The UK has space industry exports of approx. £10 billion a year and English vineyards sell out every year without subsidies so ner ner.

Good luck with getting back into the country.

What makes it worse is that my niece from Australia will be coming with me with her three year old son. I guess that she has dual nationality but her son will only have an Australian passport so they may have to queue up for even longer.

Hey this is supposed to be the Good News thread :D

As a docker I can tell you that we mainly export fresh air from this country.

Isn't that rather expensive to ship by container?

:)

Most of the containers we load back on the vessels are empty. Always been the way in over eight years of working in this industry.

Just send 'em back to China to be filled with crap again.

The UK has space industry exports of approx. £10 billion a year and English vineyards sell out every year without subsidies so ner ner.

Oh look, someone bought some space. How much? Oh, several cubic feet. Lets have a glass of british wine to celebrate. Careful there were only two bottles made this year, so sip it slowly.

Oh look, someone bought some space. How much? Oh, several cubic feet. Lets have a glass of british wine to celebrate. Careful there were only two bottles made this year, so sip it slowly.

Au revoir Francois.

To be fair it was good news. Ever since I saw Ken's sorry face I still haven't stopped laughing.

Well, LGS, even more good news for you - Andrew Moss has stepped down as CEO at Aviva.

I wonder if they'll have to pay a higher salary to recruit someone new into the job.....
:hiya:

Regardless, if the majority of shareholders want this, then I am all in favour. What makes no snese is for small shareholders to have a disproportionate say in the running of the business.

Sidicks

Well, LGS, even more good news for you - Andrew Moss has stepped down as CEO at Aviva.

I wonder if they'll have to pay a higher salary to recruit someone new into the job.....
:hiya:

Regardless, if the majority of shareholders want this, then I am all in favour. What makes no snese is for small shareholders to have a disproportionate say in the running of the business.

Sidicks
what makes even less sense is the block vote:thumbsdow because it means a disproportionate number of people representing large corporations have a greater say than they should.Particularly important when one bears in mind they themselves benefit indirectly from any votes cast regarding remuneration.Frankly it sucks and smacks of a kind of nepotism.Directors all chums voting each other higher and higher pay packages regardless of performance.Its an absolute disgrace, a racket in fact

Last edited:
la gran siete said:
what makes even less sense is the block vote:thumbsdow

Why?

The investment managers who own those shares on behalf of their clients want those companies (and hence the share price) to perform as well as possible, hence take decisions consistent with that desired outcome.

Why?

The investment managers who own those shares on behalf of their clients want those companies (and hence the share price) to perform as well as possible, hence take decisions consistent with that desired outcome.

i am more concerned about the bosses of those companies not the investment managers.There is nothing to suggest that higher pay equals better performance. They get paid ridiculous sums regardless and thats because of the cozy arrangement they have with each other

la gran siete said:
i am more concerned about the bosses of those companies not the investment managers.There is nothing to suggest that higher pay equals better performance. They get paid ridiculous sums regardless and thats because of the cozy arrangement they have with each other

1) what has that got to do with block voting?

2) what expertise do you have in judging what someone should be paid for a job of this type?

:confused:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom