Stephen Carter

Prominent Member
Reaction score
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Prepare to lose your life and all your friends once again
Reviewed by Ste Carter
Read the review

Last edited:
In regards to some of your comments, I would like to add some of my own insight:
I do believe the new levelling up system is more innovative and more imaginative than Oblivion, which includes the menu system when you press the B button (I'm a 360 man through-and-through :p). The way in which you could access your inventory/magic/stats/missions were conveniently placed into 4 sections of a book on Oblivion each with it's own sub-sections to easily narrow a search, while on Skyrim the use of the 4 directions to access a section is just pure genius, in my opinion. Pressing up to view the stars/constellations ('up' being where you would have to look for stars haha) is just brilliant.

Initially, it took me a while to get used to the quick selection (Down D-pad), but is invaluable if you use more than 8 different combinations of weapons and magic that you would get from Oblivion (having only 8 directions on the D-pad to choose from).

In regards to the enemy NPCs, if you actually hit one with an arrow (providing it doesn't kill him/her) they will go into a state of 'searching' and casually jog over to the source where the arrow was shot from. If you retreat from the location and wait for the enemy to calm down, he/she will go about patrolling as if nothing happened. I know we're in the realms of Dragons, Orcs, Trolls and Magic, but, personally, if someone shot me with an arrow, not only would I be in extreme pain/close to death (if not dead), but I would do my damndest to find the culprit and not just wave it off as if someone had just shoulder barged me on the High Street and not said sorry. :S

The Fighter's Guild does not make a return in Skyrim, but is substituted with The Companions who are a similar 'Band of Merrymen' to The Fighter's Guild and when you complete the storyline for The Companions you get a special prize.

A quick note on the Quick Save System before I wrap things up. In the pause menu under SYSTEM => SETTINGS at the bottom there is the ability to change the 'Save on Character Menu' setting to anything from 5 minutes up to 60 minutes, with the additional option to disable this setting, but for the good of your expensive items and controllers (I tend to throw mine across the room when I get frustrated) I strongly advise ALL players of Skyrim to select either 5 or 10 mins and NEVER Disabled or 60 mins. Waiting a few extra seconds when you'd rather be immersed in the Brilliance that is Skyrim, is a small price to pay to avoid having to replay an hour of it again and again.

What dya think to that Steif?

Firstly ill say welcome to forum (even though you live more or less next door) and secondly trust you to write a full-blown essay as a first post!

Anyway onwards with Skyrim and you hit the nail on the head with the levelling up system and the perks, quick inventory etc they seem so effective yet in reality theyre very minor changes and probably should have been in the original game.

Ill have to change my settings so it saves more regulalry as it does my head in when it doesnt save after you enter a cave etc for the first time and you have to go back to the start :(

My two sons are both playing skyrim and they love it. It's not their usual type of game but it's keeping them off modern warfare at the moment so this game is highly recommend

anthony dooner said:
My two sons are both playing skyrim and they love it. It's not their usual type of game but it's keeping them off modern warfare at the moment so this game is highly recommend

Definitely better than gunning people down and swearing a lot, although killing dragons and fellow adventurers is probably not that much better....

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom