The Eight Hundred Movie Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Good review :thumbsup:

It may be worth pointing out that the BD has a limited print run of 2000 units.

Got my copy earlier today (along with Raw LE) - hopefully, I'll get a chance to watch it tonight.

Might take a look at this. A really interesting but messed up period of history, little known in the west.

I watched it last night in one sitting, a rarity for me in this day and age. What a stunning looking disc! The sound is pretty impressive as well. I did notice some strange banding for a couple of seconds in a couple of scenes though.

It is a shame they didn't do an IMAX presentation (who knows, it may come on UHD). But the framing seemed to be pretty spot-on for the ratio. Man, it looked impressive!

Check out those extras as well. The whole production was immense.

I watched it last night in one sitting, a rarity for me in this day and age. What a stunning looking disc! The sound is pretty impressive as well. I did notice some strange banding for a couple of seconds in a couple of scenes though.

It is a shame they didn't do an IMAX presentation (who knows, it may come on UHD). But the framing seemed to be pretty spot-on for the ratio. Man, it looked impressive!

Check out those extras as well. The whole production was immense.
I believe there is an Imax Enhanced release available within China.

Thanks for the Review Cas. I'd say there is a solid political motive behind China releasing this film, but with what the Japanese did to the Chinese population over this time period & through WWII, in this case I cannot blame them
Checked iTunes U.S. & Amazon Germany, but not showing up on either as yet.

I guess this is dubbed ?

I do fancy this, but always weary of some action/war films from China being propaganda pieces (the very dodgy Wolf Warrior 2 being a prime example) so good to hear this is worth a watch.

Would have been interesting if international audiences got the original version.

I do fancy this, but always weary of some action/war films from China being propaganda pieces (the very dodgy Wolf Warrior 2 being a prime example) so good to hear this is worth a watch.

Would have been interesting if international audiences got the original version.

Just reading about that on IMDB:

The original cut set to be premiered in 2019's Shanghai International Film Festival is 160-minutes long. The re-censored version, which got finally released in 2020, is only 147-minute, with many replaced shots and multiple scenes blown-up and cropped.

Hopefully, we'll get this version at some point. But who knows...

Just reading about that on IMDB:

Hopefully, we'll get this version at some point. But who knows...
I doubt the Chinese government would let the original version go out, especially if it shows them in being in any sort of negative light. Still, need to give this a watch.

Good review :thumbsup:

It may be worth pointing out that the BD has a limited print run of 2000 units.

Got my copy earlier today (along with Raw LE) - hopefully, I'll get a chance to watch it tonight.

Hi is that definitely limited? Amazon doesn't mention it on its website? Thanks a lot.

From the Cine Asia Facebook post:

The truly stunning and action-packed masterpiece, The Eight Hundred, is out now on Limited Edition Blu-ray! Don't miss this epic cinematic experience, a must-see.
-Limited print run of 2,000
-DTS-HD Master audio / 5.1 Surround
-'Making of' featurettes (inc. Blu-ray exclusive)
-Trailers
-Reversible sleeve

Thanks @Ste7en

Also thanks Cas for the review. Was keen to check this out.

I doubt the Chinese government would let the original version go out, especially if it shows them in being in any sort of negative light. Still, need to give this a watch.

It is not so much about showing them in a negative light. It is about how they try to maintain the narrative of the nationist army didn't do much of fighting with the Japanese during world war 2.

Got my copy yesterday..not likely to watch it for a week or two mind due to work.

That's one of the reasons I love this site. Never heard about this, nor likely would have done without your review @Casimir Harlow

Will definitely try and grab a copy. Thanks

It is not so much about showing them in a negative light. It is about how they try to maintain the narrative of the nationist army didn't do much of fighting with the Japanese during world war 2.
Sorry, should have worded that better. You're completely right.

I see your point, I think it is challenging to enjoy such outright propaganda of a system that does not necessarily correspond with your values, but let's not forget that many of the war-related or superhero films produced in the West are displaying an unrealistically positive image of the UK or the US. I guess some may see it as an implicit form of propaganda too.

I see your point, I think it is challenging to enjoy such outright propaganda of a system that does not necessarily correspond with your values, but let's not forget that many of the war-related or superhero films produced in the West are displaying an unrealistically positive image of the UK or the US. I guess some may see it as an implicit form of propaganda too.
Oh don't worry, I see jingoistic American films in exactly the same light!😅

For accuracy and realism, my preferred choice is Team America: World Police..a stirring score to boot!

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom