The easiest way to Sky on your projector

Oakleyspatz

Prominent Member
Reaction score
For months I've been wanting a good feed from my Sky box to my projector. Only problem is that the Sky only has RGB scart out and my projector only has component in. Yes, I could use composite but the quality would be awful so what were my options?

I thought of buying an RGB scart to component converter which are available at places such as Keene Electronics for around £70 but that is a lot of dosh for a small box that does nothing else.

Then it hit me! Buy a DVD recorder which has component out. Most do these days, even the cheap sub-£100 ones. They have RGB scart in and component out (progressive in many cases). I bought a Panasonic DMR-E55 from Boots for just £109 which has a time-slip function ( record and pause live tv) and the image to my projector now is great.

Don't spend £70 on a small box, buy a DVD recorder, get component Sky TV to your projector and have the ability to record it thrown in!!!!

Just my little tip for the day!

Hello Oakleyspatz

You do need to put an over-rider or two on your 'Tip of the day' :)

01. Often DVR's produce a pretty soft image when outputting Component (YPbPr) video.

02. You always have to have the DVR switched On and some of the hard drive versions are mighty noisy.

A decent quality RGB2YUV converter may look costly but is worth while investigating if you want the cleanest signal to your projector.

Best regards

Joe

Yes I have to agree with Joe here. Oakley's solution is good for him and may be good for others but you do have to realise that you will get a compromised Sky image this way. I've yet to see a DVD recorder that doesn't obviously diminish the image quality of the Sky signal sent through it.

Gordon

Gordon @ Convergent AV said:
Yes I have to agree with Joe here. Oakley's solution is good for him and may be good for others but you do have to realise that you will get a compromised Sky image this way. I've yet to see a DVD recorder that doesn't obviously diminish the image quality of the Sky signal sent through it.

Gordon

Oh well, I think it's a good way to view Sky on your pj. I am pretty impressed with the quality so far.

Attachments

• recorder1.JPG
    recorder1.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 74
  • recorder2.JPG
    recorder2.JPG
    84 KB · Views: 68
  • recorder3.JPG
    recorder3.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 100
nobbydog said:
Now that last screenshot really IS a bit special ;) :D
Good looking woman talking about footie! Special is an understatement!!..lol

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom