The E50's now £285!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Wayne Moule, Jul 10, 2003.

1. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I just can't believe how cheap this is now,this is in the VHS price range now.How come they've come down so quickly and are so cheap?

2. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    Nice of you to tell us where this bargain is!!!

3. yonderblue

yonderblue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Simple Panasonic is selling loads of them !!

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    You can get the Panasonic E50 for £284.35 (Region 2 Only) or for £294.93 (Multi Region) from:

http://www.techtronics.com/uk/shop/50-panasonic-dmr-e50-multi-region-dvd-player.html

It is also available for £284.86 (Region 2 Only) or for £289.65 (Multi-Region) from:

http://www.prcdirect.co.uk/PRC/PRC.storefront

It is also available from RGB Direct at £284.79 (Region 2 Only) or for £289.59 (Multi Region):

http://www.rgbwap.co.uk/

Never used the first two (and I have heard people complain abaout PRC Direct) but I have nothing but praise from the service from RGB Direct.

It's interesting to see the E50 is now the UK's cheapest DVD Recorder. It was, after all, Philips who aggressively pushed down prices of DVD Recorders - it seems maybe too far to keep up.

5. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
  6. CrazyHorse

CrazyHorse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    It's £284.79 all in for the multi-region version at http://www.digital-point.co.uk/MODEL.ASP

Got mine from there about 2 months ago for £345 which I thought was a really good price, but this is amazing! If I knew the price would fall so quickly I would have waited a little while longer - but still, no complaints, it's a great bit of kit.

Nice to see the DVD Ram format is really taking off too, as it clearly is the best DVD recording format.

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    Indeed. The random access, partial erase, timeslip, Flexible Record, Variable Bitrate all add up to make it a top machine - not to mention the ability to record on DVD-R (which is the most compatible media).

As Philips have effectively priced themselves out the market it will be interesting to see if companies like Mico, Daewoo and Sanyo (none of whom are noted for top-quality media products) can continue to carry the candle for DVD+RW with their 'cheap' DVD Recorders. Although it should be noted that Mico has only stated a 'sub-£300' DVD Recorder - and we have that already.

If these cheap recorders fail to gain suitable market share then DVD+RW could fall into the abyss for PVR use (but will continue in PC use obviously). This would be quite desirable as it would effectively leave DVD-RAM and DVD-RW which share alot of key features (i.e. VR Mode, DVD-R and are both in the DVD Multi specification) and thus would mean we will see alot more DVD players equipped to handle the recorded disks.

With players like the new JVC coming on the scene (with the ability to record to RAM, -RW and -R) then it is nearing the nice position of a unified DVD Recording format.