1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The DVD Collection

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Garrett, Oct 3, 2003.

1. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,355
    The there is a program on tonight on BBC4 on DVD collections tonight it will cover Charlie Chaplin.

2. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +932
    I've tried watching this programme before and didnt like it. hopefully with a specific subject (ie Mr. C) it may fair better - here's hoping.

3. chard

chard
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    this programme is a waste of airtime.
    They cover films which are of little interest in the world of DVD (Chaplin for goodness sake ! ) .

They never cover the blockbusters or the key DVD debates of the day ie aspect ratios, DTS / DD, release dates...this show is pretentious crap, give it a miss.

4. smallman28

smallman28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I agree,I watched it once thinking "Oh good a program about DVD's" if I hadn't have know it was supposed to have been about DVD's you wouldn't have been able to tell from the program content.

5. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    chard - to criticise this program for be pretentious crap is fine BUT the Chaplin movies are of interest to many people - some of us have been waiting a long time for this release

6. Ferris_bueller

Ferris_bueller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Shocking - A program about DVD collections that discusses some of the greatest films / contributors to film ever, instead of the geeky subject of aspect ratio's and sound formats.

What is the world coming to ;)

7. FWA.jr

FWA.jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :rolleyes:

8. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Oh dear what a crime. :eek: Imagine making a programme that doesn't cover Hollywood blockbusters. I mean, "The Fellowship of the Phantom Matrix Regurgitated: Episode II" and its ilk don't get coverage anywhere else do they?

Newsflash: Cinema is a broad church. There was, is and (hopefully) always will be a world outside the largely formulaic pap lobbed out by Messrs Holly & Wood.

One programme - just one - comes along to cover non mainstream releases, and the fanboys get all pre-menstrual because cute robots, hobbits and Keanu in his big black coat are nowhere to be seen.

And cries of "...pretentious crap..." are nothing more than manifestations of insecurity masked by inverted snobbery.

If it upsets you - DON'T WATCH!

9. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +932
    I would watch it regardless of the topics covered - I can always skip through the bits I'm not interested in. Its the presentation I dont like. The guy who presents it goes through the motions of reading the auto-cue with no emotion whatsover. Let Mr. woss pwesent it and it'll be a diffewent kwettle of fwish.

10. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,355
    They are reviewing The Indians Jones trilogy on it shortly.

11. chard

chard
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry about writing off Chaplin - but his films are not exactly cutting edge DVD topics are they.

The problem with the programme not dealing with DVD specific issues is that it then simply another film discussion programme, and hardly worthy of the word 'DVD' in the title.

The recent coverage of the Indy release totally failed to address any issues surrounding the specifics of this DVD release ie regional differences, cuts etc..or any mention of the extras.

The programme IS pretentious in that its topics have been elletist
    Bergman, world cinema et al....every bloody week !

12. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Have to disagree again - the dvd collection is very important due to the pristine images & the extras (in same ways the extras are more important than the films)

13. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Is there something we've missed? Who has deemed "Bergman" and World Cinema "elitist"? And why is a programme that covers these topics "pretentious"? And if so what are its pretentions? Enlighten us please...

14. rosemanbridge

rosemanbridge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Pretentious? Elitist? Most of the Fanboys films eg Star Wars, Matrix, and the "Classics" such as Magnificent Seven and A Fistful Of Dollars are just remakes of totally original movies such as Seven Samurai and Yojimbo. Are these pretentious? By some peoples standards, yes they are. They are available on DVD... why not take a look at them? But, oh no, they're black and white and mono....I know, I'll watch Blade again 'cos the swords are in colour and it rattles my sub!!! People like and dislike certain films and see them from different angles to other people. That's their appeal. I personally hate Star Wars and Citizen Kane (you won't know that one fanboys it's pre-DTS) but that doesn't mean that it pretentious crap, just not to my liking. Chaplin is a total original so leave him alone!